• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Warranty on shorlandr calipers

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my last 2 hour plus trips, my bearing caps flew off. And the hubs were hot only on the brake axles.
Well today in the heat i decided to remove the rear wheels and investigate. I found both calipers dragging. I removed them and pulled the piston boot back to see full of rust. The caliper slides, pads, and all hardware was perfect. The boots were not ripped, but the pistons wont retract back.
I have an email into Shorlandr but not sure what warranty there is on this.
If i have to purchase new calipers so be it but in just shy of 3 years rusted/frozen pistons.... not cool.
I dont do salt often (2 times with trailer)and when i do the trailer gets a good bath.
Not one nut is rusty on my trailer.
Wondering if anyone else has seen this?.

I will be packing waterproof grease into the boots of the new calipers, you can be sure

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my last 2 hour plus trips, my bearing caps flew off. And the hubs were hot only on the brake axles.
Well today in the heat i decided to remove the rear wheels and investigate. I found both calipers dragging. I removed them and pulled the piston boot back to see full of rust. The caliper slides, pads, and all hardware was perfect. The boots were not ripped, but the pistons wont retract back.
I have an email into Shorlandr but not sure what warranty there is on this.
If i have to purchase new calipers so be it but in just shy of 3 years rusted/frozen pistons.... not cool.
I dont do salt often (2 times with trailer)and when i do the trailer gets a good bath.
Not one nut is rusty on my trailer.
Wondering if anyone else has seen this?.

I will be packing waterproof grease into the boots of the new calipers, you can be sure
I know it's not always convenient or even possible but if you can shoot a pic or two of the parts you grease that would be wonderful.
Would dousing the whole assembly with crc6-56 or similar (something that even I can do) would be helpful? as PM.

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know it's not always convenient or even possible but if you can shoot a pic or two of the parts you grease that would be wonderful.
Would dousing the whole assembly with crc6-56 or similar (something that even I can do) would be helpful? as PM.

--
I will post some pics of the parts i grease up.really all you have to do is unbolt the caliper and peel back the rubber boot around the piston and apply some grease around the piston.
I use either BellRay blue waterproof grease or Maxima blue waterproof grease. I have tubs and grease cartridges for both
15636716481414630845141175845771.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will post some pics of the parts i grease up.really all you have to do is unbolt the caliper and peel back the rubber boot around the piston and apply some grease around the piston.
I use either BellRay blue waterproof grease or Maxima blue waterproof grease. I have tubs and grease cartridges for both
View attachment 100492
Great info!
I would not know to even look there, I doubt many people know this is a maintenance item. FAQ entry????

I'm sweating bullets anytime we trailer for thousands of miles and have nightmares about being stranded roadside... I run around the trailer and check the hub/tire temps with my hands like a crazy person at every stop, lol, I just don't thrust those trailers much.
Mine trailer was bought new and it was literally grease/lubricant-free, and I mean it was dry... no grease or lubricant anywhere. I was stunned.

I can take care of the hubs and the coupler parts, I think, and learned from @Mainah about the grease zerks in the equalizer between the axles. But those brake calipers freezing makes me want to run out there and look at it right away!

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was surprised to see the amount of rot/rust inside the piston boot.
The caliper and all hardware is spotless. So to see this was a surprise.
The calipers are the cheapest version of the UFP DB-35 which are zinc coated with a chrome plated piston. Its a good floating design and better than the DB-4?

I ordered the Aluminum housings with stainless piston to replace from Amazon just in case they wont replace the under warranty. I can always send them back

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got a response back from them. They said warranty it one year from date of purchase. That is quite a shame.

I sent a very polite response stating my obvious disappointment to their quality of a safety device on this trailer.

Note to others, check your calipers. I doubt i am the only one that has had this problem.

Shame on me for not checking sooner, but didn't think this would be a problem in 3 years time