• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Warranty

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did a quick search, didn't see much. Are you guys buying extended (past 5 years) warranties? If so, from where?

I'm sort of on the fence (even if they are available). In 5 years of owning this boat, I had 1 issue that would have cost $1k to repair, not too bad. BUT, what if something major happened?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat came with 5 years od YES warranty but since August of 16 i haven't used it once. I have had a few small issues that probably would have been covered but wasn't worth my time to bring in and lose time with the boat. So for me i wouldn't buy it but would take it if for free.
I am a Toyota tech and prior jetski/boat/motorcycle tech as well so i would rather fix things on my own and know its done right

But thats just me

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess my biggest concern is losing a complete engine, the hull coming apart, gas tank leaking or the connext going down. Otherwise I don't see much of a reason to pay for the extra warranty.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess my biggest concern is losing a complete engine, the hull coming apart, gas tank leaking or the connext going down. Otherwise I don't see much of a reason to pay for the extra warranty.
Losing a complete engine is highly unlikely, gas tank leaking..... never heard of one, hull coming apart.....insurance should cover

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Then why would I extend my warranty past 1 year? Looking to either talk myself into or out of it. Assuming I keep this boat and not upgrade. But if I upgrade to a 250 which will have larger screens and more electronics is extending the warranty a better move?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Then why would I extend my warranty past 1 year? Looking to either talk myself into or out of it. Assuming I keep this boat and not upgrade. But if I upgrade to a 250 which will have larger screens and more electronics is extending the warranty a better move?
Hull warranty is for life for the original owner, components for 3 years and engines for 1. These engines are solid and if they last 20-30 hours, most likely they'll last until they're worn out. We passed on the extended warranty for the boat and anything else we buy. If we had paid for all the warranties we were offered on vehicles, TV's, stereos, computers, etc., we'd be about $20k in the hole for items that never had a failure. Extended warranties are high profit insurance policies for companies, and they rake in billions a year from it. Our new boat requires marine insurance, and our policy covers mechanical failures, etc. Why would we pay twice for the same coverage?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors , I think a lot of it is risk tolerance. This was our first boat and with that size investment, the YES gave the boss extra comfort in case I could not fix a boat like I can a car (those I can usually do just fine). But I had never had a boat and didn't fully know what differences to expect, parts cost, etc. And I had not found this board yet.

Now I am like @Neutron . I figured out the engines are very similar to automobile engines, spare parts are available and reasonable (except for the ones that are not). And I would rather make sure it is done right, so I prefer to do it myself. So then we are to the catastrophic failures. Our boats over time have primarily had two: the oil cooler bolt issue and the timing chain issue. Now, we don't yet know whether the 2020's (or even the 2019's) will have a similar big bad thing. And we only know of those two big bad things anecdotally--plenty of boats have been fine.

For me, even with those two big bad things, the possibility of a third is fairly remote. So if I had to do it today, I would probably save my money and put it towards parts for repairs as they came up. But, if that is beyond your risk tolerance, then it is time to say YES (see what I did there? heheheh).

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Did a quick search, didn't see much. Are you guys buying extended (past 5 years) warranties? If so, from where?

I'm sort of on the fence (even if they are available). In 5 years of owning this boat, I had 1 issue that would have cost $1k to repair, not too bad. BUT, what if something major happened?
@Michael Rasmussen .....I bought the Yamaha Extended Warranty because 1. I only buy warranties from OEM manufacturer's as it is my opinion that 3rd party warranties are usually a waste of money. 2. because even the smallest repair would justify a warranty and 3. If I decide to sell or trade in 3 or 4 years that warranty will "sell" the boat. *****A couple of years back we sold a big (expensive) cruiser. There were several others with similar options available. The buyer chose ours as he was able to get a bank loan based on the fact that it had a couple of years left on the warranty. He said it made all the difference to the bank. :cool: BTW whereI boat everyone speaks in glowing terms of the OEM Yamaha warranty and how good Yamaha is at honoring it. So, basically - other than maintenance, gas and modifications (self imposed cost) - my costs are fixed for five years! I like that. :cool:.....I should add that I normally don't touch extended warranties (except for expensive boats) and I got mine at a reduced price.

Last edited:

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hull warranty is for life for the original owner, components for 3 years and engines for 1. These engines are solid and if they last 20-30 hours, most likely they'll last until they're worn out. We passed on the extended warranty for the boat and anything else we buy. If we had paid for all the warranties we were offered on vehicles, TV's, stereos, computers, etc., we'd be about $20k in the hole for items that never had a failure. Extended warranties are high profit insurance policies for companies, and they rake in billions a year from it. Our new boat requires marine insurance, and our policy covers mechanical failures, etc. Why would we pay twice for the same coverage?
I would check the fine print, when I researched insurance companies, I dug a little deeper on the mechanical coverage, turns out they only cover mechanical failures that are a direct result of an accident.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Losing a complete engine is highly unlikely, gas tank leaking..... never heard of one, hull coming apart.....insurance should cover
That’s what I was thinking when I bought my boat. Only 49 hours and now it has a new motor, but I haven’t seen my boat for... tomorrow will be one year exactly. It was replaced at no cost under warranty, but it seems there should be compensation for not having a new boat, under warranty, for a full year.

Maybe I’m just an entitled whiner.

I have a Glastron with the Rotax 250HP motor; I’d heard many good things about them. I have no documentation on the BRP warranty. From what I found online, PIP who now sells the Rotax motors, says there is a 3 year / 480 hour warranty. I also purchased the 8 year extended warranty.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm thinking of skipping any additional warranties. It's a risk but as others have said, these boats are pretty solid. We'll see if I regret my decision.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe I’m just an entitled whiner.
Possible. That is a good thing to ask ourselves every now and then, of course.

If you are, you are certainly not alone on this board. However, I think that in this case it is not entitled whining. When one pays a goodly lump of money, I think one is entitled to get that for which one paid.

More to the point of this thread, though, you properly and helpfully point out that when you take a risk, you can get the downside, both on money and time.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Possible. That is a good thing to ask ourselves every now and then, of course.

If you are, you are certainly not alone on this board. However, I think that in this case it is not entitled whining. When one pays a goodly lump of money, I think one is entitled to get that for which one paid.

More to the point of this thread, though, you properly and helpfully point out that when you take a risk, you can get the downside, both on money and time.
Thank you for that feedback. I appreciate it. 3 year manufacturer’s warranty AND I purchased the 8 year extended. No scenario would have had me envisioning being without our boat for a year.

A top attorney here in KC suggested I file suit under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and/or Missouri Consumer Protection Act. Both call for recovering attorney’s fees. He said I should sue, if not with him, then with another attorney. He wants a $5,000 retainer. I’d get it back if they reward attorney’s fees as part of the settlement/verdict, but that’s a lot of cash to lay out there. He said it’s as good of a warranty case as he’s seen and it easily wins 95 times out of 100.

The lawyer out of Dallas who was guaranteeing no fees if we lose and they’d also seek to collect attorney’s fees if we win, has backed off on going for a return and full refund. He still wants the case and guarantees no fees if we lose, but he says it’s a breach of warranty claim. He said we’d likely get about 20% of the value of a new Rotax motor. Not sure where he’s getting that number, but I’m being told a new Rotax motor with inter cooler and supercharger is about $10,000. That’s $2,000. Not horrible, but my math we are out over $6,000.

We lost lake fees, paid property tax on a boat we haven’t had in our possession for a year and paid insurance when we couldn’t even file a claim if needed as they’ve had the boat for a year. Add that to the depreciation from reputable tables and it’s easily $5,000 on the low end.

I filed a complaint with the Missouri Attorney General last September. They’ve tried mediating to no avail. I offer through the AG for the dealer to take our boat back and get us into a Yamaha AR195, which is comparable to our boat. He agreed through his Service Manager. Now they are treating it as a straight trade when my offer was no out of pocket cash and the same payment and term as our current loan. So from Breach of Warranty to Bait and Switch. Super fun!

They’ve said they have 56 hours of labor in our boat. First, that’s of NO fault of our own. Second, I now find out they get paid for warranty labor from the mfg. I just wanted to be a happy Surdyke Marine customer.

I’m in outside sales often bending over backwards to please customer, yet I cannot seem to get any customer service, even when I spend $40,000. Crazy!