• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water depth with Engine Running

Frank S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a new 2017 255. I see that the draft is 15 inches. But what is a safe estimate of what depth water the engine needs to run. I'm new to jet boats and I'm looking for a new boat well, it's located on a small canal and I wanted to know this info on water depth before I pay for it. Any insight would help. Sorry If this seems like a dumb question. But I was a stern drive guy and am new to jet boats.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I only have one season of use with mine (165 model, 12" draft). But I think that really depends on the bottom composition. If it's lots of things like pebbles/shells, they will probably get sucked up pretty easily since they are relatively light and have lots of surface area and these will probably cause a decent amount of damage to the impeller and wear ring. In that case, I'd suggest staying at least 2 feet or more ideally 3. If it's mud/silt (i.e. sand), it probably won't cause much wear as long as you only suck up a little bit and in that case, you can probably safely operate (but carefully) in about 2 ft of water. If it's bedrock, then you won't be sucking up anything and can be in pretty shallow waters... just watch the hull!!! lol Sticks/branches are definitely an issue and same with thick weeds (for clogging up the intake).

I operated regularly in a couple of feet of water with sandy bottoms (some pebbles), bedrock, mud, etc. After one season of use, my impeller still looks brand new and same with wear ring. I believe the manufacturer recommends 3ft at all times... but from my experience, that mostly depends on the bottom. You can get away with less assuming you're careful. If in doubt, turn off the engine and pole through that section.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
JustJ to add...you need more depth to start planning, and less once you are on plane.

ModyGP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hey Frank, I've had my 2016 195 HO for two seasons now. My manual says safe minimum operating depth is 3 feet of water.
It says this is due to the suction force of the jet can pull small things off the bottom.
I've had to navigate some very shallow areas, down to 14 inches. Like around the boat ramp and beaches. When I see the depth get below 3 feet, I just throttle down to idle and go slow.
If I've sucked anything, I didn't know about it and I haven't had any negative effects yet.

The scariest I've had so far, I was cruising around and the depth sudden dropped to less than 3 feet. I dropped to idle and looked over to see a forest of seaweed. I coasted through the mess.
After I was passed it, I did reverse and forward thrust to clean any possible seaweed from the impeller. No issues.

Good luck, have fun!!
-J

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It actually depends on whether you are moving or not. When you are not moving and the engines are running, there is a vortex that extends straight down from your intake grates and can suck stuff off the bottom. However, almost as soon as you start moving that vortex disappears. This video illustrates this

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 2015 165 HO 12" draft 145 Hrs. and it is a good practice to have 2 to 3 ft. of water under the hull with engine running at idle and to get on plane. I have been on plane in less than 1 ft. of water and do not let off and once in deeper water do the reverse trick to clean the intake of grass and weeds. Have run aground once, sucked some mud but I shut it down quick with no problem. Small sticks and weeds are usually not a problem but I have had a mangrove seed get caught and caused a vibration, but the reverse trick took care of that also. I am sure rocks, stones or shells could cause some real problems.