• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water Leak from Backside(?) of Impeller Housing

SwimBikeRunBoat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So went out for a nice evening cruise on the weekend and sucked something up, but nothing obvious in the cleanout port. Engine power down on starboard side. Limped back to dock - both engines running. Back at dock there was substantially more water in the engine bay (still way below the engines though) than I have ever had before. So troubleshooting yesterday I have discovered a tiny leak from what I think is the backside of the impeller housing which below 2,000rpm doesn't increase, but when I get up to 4,500-5,000rpm there is a visible spray of water coming into the engine bay.
I have attached a photo of what I'm calling the backside of the impeller housing (in case my terminology is incorrect)
I will post a video I took of the spray tonight as I can't upload the video at work.

So what have I done - and then what do I need to do to fix it?
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you recently greased the intermediate bearing. If you over fill that bearing, it can and will blow out the seal. The grease is a water barrier for the impeller but overfilling it cause leaking issues. Search intermediate bearing on here

SwimBikeRunBoat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
no - Other than oil change last winter I haven't added any grease etc - have put about 50 hours on the engines this summer.
I'll have look at the thread you posted though - thanks

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m not sure about our boats but I just changed the shaft seals on my jet ski and had to pull the motor. It was a PITA.

Nous Defions

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So went out for a nice evening cruise on the weekend and sucked something up, but nothing obvious in the cleanout port. Engine power down on starboard side. Limped back to dock - both engines running. Back at dock there was substantially more water in the engine bay (still way below the engines though) than I have ever had before. So troubleshooting yesterday I have discovered a tiny leak from what I think is the backside of the impeller housing which below 2,000rpm doesn't increase, but when I get up to 4,500-5,000rpm there is a visible spray of water coming into the engine bay.
I have attached a photo of what I'm calling the backside of the impeller housing (in case my terminology is incorrect)
I will post a video I took of the spray tonight as I can't upload the video at work.

So what have I done - and then what do I need to do to fix it?
Thanks for any help.
Just had this happen due to blocked pisser. Only leaked above 30 mph. Did you discover where your leak came from?

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Have you recently greased the intermediate bearing. If you over fill that bearing, it can and will blow out the seal. The grease is a water barrier for the impeller but overfilling it cause leaking issues. Search intermediate bearing on here

Could it also be a neglected or under filled grease in the intermediate bearing? When was the last time it was checked and filled? I would make sure the other engine intermediate bearing is serviced with proper grease fill. Search intermediate bearings.

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Could it also be a neglected or under filled grease in the intermediate bearing? When was the last time it was checked and filled? I would make sure the other engine intermediate bear are serviced with proper grease fill. Search intermediate bearings.
It could