• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Water pooling on top of 242XE Bimini Top with Sunshade. Anyone seen this before?

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone seen water collect like this on their big Bimini top before of a 242XE or 242SE? We just had a torrential downpour for a day or two and we were out of town and came home to all of the water on top of it like this. I got up on a ladder and used a gas blower to blow it all off but was curious if this will be a regular problem every heavy rain we get? This was a ton of rain. Is cover not ratcheted down tight enough? Seemed very tight to me when I installed it. Should sunshade be left open when boat is not in use? It popped up right where sunshade square zipper area is? I really don’t want to have to use that zipper every time we store the boat for a week on the lift till the next weekend. Maybe this is what’s needed? I included a few pics. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 789E4A7E-F02D-4A16-8C3B-7D976D47BFBA.jpeg
    789E4A7E-F02D-4A16-8C3B-7D976D47BFBA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
  • A7366A34-F28C-4067-9DEE-56AA6FF06175.jpeg
    A7366A34-F28C-4067-9DEE-56AA6FF06175.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
Looks like it stretched and theirs a slight sag in that area now. Do you think this will normalize and go back to how it was? Or it’s going to always have a sag now?

Attachments

• 93A50157-5B95-49CB-95DD-8CD96FFC7D68.jpeg
    93A50157-5B95-49CB-95DD-8CD96FFC7D68.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 49
A temp 1/2” PVC pipe slightly oversized in length to bow up should take care of it. You can quickly assemble when slipped and dissemble when ready to go.

A temp 1/2” PVC pipe slightly oversized in length to bow up should take care of it. You can quickly assemble when slipped and dissemble when ready to go.

I’m intrigued on an easy fix like this but not sure what you mean or how to install it.

Do you think the PVC would scratch the painted tower a lot taking it on and off?
You might have to cut (trim) the snap tees so instead of making a U shape profile, they make more of a V profile. Where the cross section is more like a 60 to 90 deg instead of 180 to 240 degrees as the picture shows them. See below.

382ABF24-911F-49C7-A56D-C8643CD86AF9.jpeg

I do and I appreciate the tips. I guess I’m leaning towards just uninstalling the cover and putting a grommet on after I uninstall it and then reinstalling the cover. Seems like the grommet would be the best long-term solution. Not sure what size grommet to install. I’m guessing it just needs to be a very small hole for the water to drain out. I don’t want an eye sore or too much daylight coming in for sunny days.

I do and I appreciate the tips. I guess I’m leaning towards just uninstalling the cover and putting a grommet on after I uninstall it and then reinstalling the cover. Seems like the grommet would be the best long-term solution. Not sure what size grommet to install. I’m guessing it just needs to be a very small hole for the water to drain out. I don’t want an eye sore or too much daylight coming in for sunny days.
Well, you might as well remove the whole cover then if you are ok allowing a stream of water into the boat? While I know it’s ok as it will eventually make it’s way out, if you don’t care, then it’s an option. I personally wouldn’t want a water stream above the engine hatch. Besides, if you encounter torrential rain, that small hole is not going to drain the water fast enough and the cover will sag again anyway so you are back to square one. Just my 2 cents!

I agree but water won’t be going into the engine hatch on a regular basis this is only for when the boat is on the lift for week days. The mooring cover is on also so all the water would do is drop to the mooring cover with poles and then off the boat. For now I have the Sun shade open as we have a lot of rain in the forecast this week. If Yamaha switched to the grommet the year after my boat was made then it must work and drain decent as no one has complained about this since 2019 it’s only a problem on the 2018 sun shade Bimini top. Thanks again for all the tips.

You have the 2019 version of my boat, correct? Does yours have the little grommet hole in the sunshade? If so, how fast does water drain in a storm?

If you look at this video at 8:37 mark you can see his 2020 definitely has the tiny little grommet hole.

Does not look like it lets in much light at all but guessing that tiny hole was added by Yamaha as it gets the water out fast enough in a big pour down to the mooring cover below

Last edited:
You have the 2019 version of my boat, correct? Does yours have the little grommet hole in the sunshade? If so, how fast does water drain in a storm?
Yes, mine has the hole in the cover. I don’t have draining issues as my boat is always in storage when not in use. Below pic of my boat showing the sunshade cover grommet hole. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

EEE740BE-7C51-44A2-913C-A871117CD7BA.png

Awesome, thanks! I may call Yamaha to find out what size grommet is in there from factory but doubting they will know. Thanks again for all the help!

Back