• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water testing at Yamaha factory

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I read that Yamaha water tests every single boat they produce at a lake near where they manufacture them...if this is true do they just get in and idle around or do they get up to speed ? My point is then why do we have to go through a break in process of idling for x amount of minutes then keep it under a certain rpm for the next X amount of hours .

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jeel You make a valid point, although I was under the impression that the Dealer actually puts the batteries in the boats and oil as well as other things that would indicate that the boat hasn't been run in the water. Perhaps the information that was given to me is incorrect.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes they water test but they don't ride them around for hours. Mainly they check for leaks and basic operational tests. You still need to do the break in and change the oil as you'll see fine metal particles in the first oil change from the engine being broken in.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Here's some info from my new boat purchase this year - she was built in Feb and arrived at the dealer in May (COVID delays). It was still wrapped when we went to look at it and the dealer was in the process of removing the shipping cover when we arrived first thing in the morning. Seats were still wrapped, tower bolted down and wrapped in padding, bimini attached and wrapped in plastic, mats still in the bag, etc. No batteries in the boat and I'm sure it had never seen water after leaving the factory as this dealer is not on the water. All indications suggested we were the first people to even view the boat as COVID had the dealer closed until May and visitors were only allowed by appointment. There was 0.1 hours on both engines, that's 6 minutes. I'm guessing the factory starts them to ensure they run properly and check for leaks/issues in the boat. There was oil in the engines, filters installed, but no batteries (batteries fall under the rules for transporting dangerous goods so to avoid regulatory issues dealers put in the batteries).

I'm guessing when a new model/hull is produced, they thoroughly water test a prototype or a production unit which is then made available for media reviews and wet tests. I've noticed all Yamaha boats in video reviews have the same GA 9900 AD license numbers on the bow.

Zoom-Zoom...no wait that's for Mazda...Sploosh-Sploosh ?
:)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The boats are built in Vonore, TN on the Little Tennessee River. A lot of the media stuff is on Georgia lakes.

Of course everything comes wrapped when you get it. They don't bother installing any of that and it's usually part of the dealer PDI process. They aren't going out for a day in the water or anything it's just a systems check. All they need is one battery to run the boat which is like a 2 minute install. There have been discussions on this before on here. A few years ago one of the members here got a factory tour and yes they water test them https://jetboaters.net/threads/yamaha-factory-tour-report-it-was-awesome.16603/

When we did the factory tour in TN at Skiers Choice for our boat they water test each boat as well and before it gets wrapped to the dealer it gets detailed and everything gets wrapped, plastic on seats, tags installed on steering wheel etc. I sat in our boat in the production line about 30 minutes before they were going to water test it. When I came to the dealer you couldn't even tell a soul had sat or been in the boat. Hours read 0 as that is a simple reset on their end. Like Yamaha they don't ride around in your boat for long. It's just a simple check to make sure there are no surprises arise for a quick test and then it's off to be detailed, wrapped to sit on the ready lot awaiting shipment to the dealers.

image.png

Last edited:

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Who lives nearby ? get a drone and check it out up close my avatar was from around 2005 when they supposedly did a factory stress test and took one in the ocean in 5-8 foot breakers and filmed it posted it on you tube then pulled it down the same day It was really amazing what the boat could take the tower cracked but the boat pulled in to its trailer. I took a few screen captures but here is the AR230 airborne 23'6'' of boat launching the driver had a motorcross helmet on, this was the best water test I have ever seen

Wednesday, July 13, 2016.jpg