• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wave or Rain water drainage - 2015 ar192

xedelatorre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, should a wave or heavy rain, or just water from a hose when washing "flood" the deck, where is this water routed to? Does it go to directly to the compartments below (ski locker, gas tank, bilge/engine area) or is there another way out for this water to go before flooding the compartments below? Thanks in advance

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, should a wave or heavy rain, or just water from a hose when washing "flood" the deck, where is this water routed to? Does it go to directly to the compartments below (ski locker, gas tank, bilge/engine area) or is there another way out for this water to go before flooding the compartments below? Thanks in advance
The deck is self-bailing, water goes out the scupper. It is a wonderful system. Just need to keep the scupper inlet unobstructed and the bow up a bit.

--

xedelatorre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The deck is self-bailing, water goes out the scupper. It is a wonderful system. Just need to keep the scupper inlet unobstructed and the bow up a bit.

--
Thanks swatski, but if the boat is in the water, does the water still go out the scupper?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks swatski, but if the boat is in the water, does the water still go out the scupper?
Yes, as long as the attitude is with the bow up. That is naturally the case on plane. At no wake and stationary - it will depend on how the boat is loaded.

--

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
but one downside is the fuel hatch and ski locker hatch isn't 100% sealed so if there is large amount of water, it will go into either or both of those compartments. I tried to get it sealed but its hard...especially the fuel hatch

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Agreed, the scupper is a great design for quick drain out the boat. Keep in mind it is plastic and if it cracks it becomes a LARGE hole below the waterline.
A good number of folks here have replaced the OEM plastic scupper with a stainless one
http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/Scupper-Valves

there are a couple wrenches here that are passed around to facilitate installation. (search "scupper wrench" or "keeper of the scupper wrench")

don't mean to alter the postings course here, just wanted to make sure you knew the full details on this part of your boat.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Agreed, the scupper is a great design for quick drain out the boat. Keep in mind it is plastic and if it cracks it becomes a LARGE hole below the waterline.
A good number of folks here have replaced the OEM plastic scupper with a stainless one
http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/Scupper-Valves

there are a couple wrenches here that are passed around to facilitate installation. (search "scupper wrench" or "keeper of the scupper wrench")

don't mean to alter the postings course here, just wanted to make sure you knew the full details on this part of your boat.
19' boats don't have a scupper below the water line so I don't see the need for spending $$ on a SS scupper unless you just want some bling out back, but even then it would be visibly blocked by the splash guard.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had the fortune (misfortune) of getting caught in a ginormous downpour in our new boat on Memorial Day Weekend. Had standing water on the deck a number of times it was raining so hard! Two things learned though....

1. Just a little forward speed (7mph or so) will get the bow high enough to drain most all of the standing water out of the scupper in the rear of the cockpit. The carpet held some water, and we were by no means "dry", but the standing water was quickly and easily evacuated from the deck area. It worked really well.

2. Those little "rails" around the edges of the opening for the storage under the seats......those are drain areas for the seats. We got absolutely hammered with rain, and all of the under seat storage and otherwise covered areas were dry as could be. Even had some paper items in the port side storage in front of the glove box that stayed perfectly dry. I was really impressed by how wet we were, and how dry our towels were when it finally quit raining.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup Yamaha did a great job designing the drain channels around all the compartments. I soak my boat pretty good when washing and you can just watch them pour out water when rinsing those areas real good. Compartments are always dry except for the stupid cup holder drain holes. One day I'll get around to filling them with a plug or silicone.

xedelatorre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had the fortune (misfortune) of getting caught in a ginormous downpour in our new boat on Memorial Day Weekend. Had standing water on the deck a number of times it was raining so hard! Two things learned though....

1. Just a little forward speed (7mph or so) will get the bow high enough to drain most all of the standing water out of the scupper in the rear of the cockpit. The carpet held some water, and we were by no means "dry", but the standing water was quickly and easily evacuated from the deck area. It worked really well.

2. Those little "rails" around the edges of the opening for the storage under the seats......those are drain areas for the seats. We got absolutely hammered with rain, and all of the under seat storage and otherwise covered areas were dry as could be. Even had some paper items in the port side storage in front of the glove box that stayed perfectly dry. I was really impressed by how wet we were, and how dry our towels were when it finally quit raining.
Did you have the ski locker compartment plug plugged in or out? I've noticed that whenever we get heavy rain, some water will filter down there (even with teh cover on) from the deck. Since my boat sits on a slip, if Im not moving I take the water out with a manual pump, I don't remove the plug from there cause there's water underneath that tends to want to come up into the ski locker compartment.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you have the ski locker compartment plug plugged in or out? I've noticed that whenever we get heavy rain, some water will filter down there (even with teh cover on) from the deck. Since my boat sits on a slip, if Im not moving I take the water out with a manual pump, I don't remove the plug from there cause there's water underneath that tends to want to come up into the ski locker compartment.
TO be honest I don't remember. I want to say that I had all the available plugs inside the boat OPEN to allow water to drain/move freely throughout the compartments. No idea if this is the "proper" way to handle these plugs or not, however it's what I've been doing.

I've only left a boat in the water overnight (in 8 years of boat ownership) twice, and was a nervous wreck both nights. I can't imagine leaving one floating for weeks while I'm away!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you have standing water underneath the ski locker plug then you should open the fuel compartment plug and the engine compartment plug so that it can drain into your bilge so it can get out of the boat.

When I'm on the water the plugs go in. When I pull the boat out of the water for storage the plugs come out.