• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Waverunner advice

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
folks: is this a good deal?

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/boa/5952089487.html

I know very little about skis, but have ridden motorcycles and ATVs most of my life. Starting to wonder if I don't need a wave runner...

I suppose I'm "handy", but don't really feel overly mechanically inclined. So, I'm not really looking for a project. Much more interested in a good deal on something that's already sea worthy. Use would be solely on lakes.

Thanks for any advice!

Edit: nvm about the link above. Think I've moved on from that already. New question in 2nd post. Also, changing title.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Actually, let me rephrase my question:

If a guy wanted to get started with a pwc, required a 4 stroke and didn't want to spend more than 3k, would that be possible? What models should I be looking at?

Guess I'm thinking 2-3 seaters, family fun skis. Not looking for a rocket ship. :)

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$3k is pretty ambitious for a 4 stroke but it is possible to find them out there but it seems more like 4k- 4500 is usually about the starting point on them. You do have the correct idea though I would skip that one and look for a four stroke. the two stroke skis such as that one linked are a blast to drive and easy to work on but the 4 strokes are just so much more reliable you could probably find a late model vx that is a four stroke for around 3k if you look hard. If you decide to get a two stroke you could probably find a seadoo model for around 2K I know they pop up around me all the time.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks! That's a big help. So, start searching for a VX... 'bout what year did models start switching to 4 stroke? That'll help with searches. So far, I really haven't seen any Craigslist posts that have made mention either way (2 or 4 stroke). And, I don't know the models well enough yet to know for myself yet.

My cousin has a couple seadoo 2 strokes that give him nothing but trouble. I think the biggest problem is they only get used a couple times a year, so he has to spend a week working and/or some money on them every time he wants to go out. Like anything, I'm sure regular use is better.

Actually, that ought to be another concern for me. I've got no idea what I might expect my number of uses per season would be. The kids aren't big enough yet really to take a pwc in conjunction w the boat. It'll probably be one or the other for the next couple years, or it'll just be me doing all the work to maneuver both machines for each outing. I can see that getting old.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it is either 2007 or 2008 when yamaha switched to 4 stroke but I'm not 100% sure. I have seen some older FX cruisers cheap as well such as this one. I live a pretty good distance from you though so the markets could be different.

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/boa/5931837170.html

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are lots of rentals around my area as well usually they are maintained well but are beat to crap with scuffs and hull dings I wouldn't say avoid them but I wouldn't jump at them either. I'm unsure of your kids age but when my daughter was 5 we started riding 3 up with her a lot the ski was just easier an more fun to get on the water then the boat. My daughter is now 8 and I know I will get yelled at by some on here but i let her drive it with me sitting behind her and my hands on the handle bars as well so I can immediately take control anytime. She started off slow but now she will cruise at 35 mph like it nothing. I just had a new born so we sold our second ski a 2012 Sea Doo GTI back in the spring as we knew both wouldn't get used and I plan to sell me 2013 Kawasaki Ultra LX in July as it wont really get a ton of use over the next couple years either but we fully intend to buy two new ones once the new born hits 5 again. Two skis is not a bad thing in fact it very likley if you buy one in a year you will be looking for second. We have two boats and up until the spring had two skis as well I would say over the last two years the skis had double the hours the boats had put on them just do to convince and ease and the fun factor. The modern four stoke skis are super reliable and large which is great for a family outing if you have two I think you will find you will take them out more then you think throwing the wife and a kid on one and you and a kid on on another. If we didn't plan to boat to the Bahamas for the next several year I honestly probably wouldn't even have the boats.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the exact same ski in Red/Black (XLT1200 that you moved on from).DSCN3865.JPG It IS a rocket ship... for a 2 stroke! 65mph without even breaking a sweat on smooth water and it is BY FAR the most stable boat I've ever experienced. You can't flip them if you try! Great for family/inexperienced riders. I let mine sit one season and didn't use it so I rebuilt the carbs right after. Other than that, 0 maintenance. Totally reliable...starts up every year. Stay away from 2 seater's unless you like to get dunked. The description on that listing is totally accurate!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm unsure of your kids age
Kids are 1, 4, and 10. 10 yr old has been riding a Polaris Outlaw 50 since she was 6, so I'm thinking she'll take right to it. With these speeds, obviously with a rider. Her outlaw maxes out at about 15, I think.

The 4 yr old loves to ride along on anything that moves, whether a lawn tractor, boat, or truck.

Another thought is that our home lake may be on the boring side. It's fairly small, and PWCs are restricted to weekday use. I'm only a mile away and the inlaws live on the lake, so evening rides after work would be fun, and very smooth.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Billtex2000 and here I was already convinced otherwise... geez, too much to consider. Lol

Thanks for the input. The pics on the listed machine (as well as yours) still look great, too.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's exactly what I was hunting for my first PWC, and that same price range. Yamaha FX140 or Seadoo GTI130's can be found for 3K fairly easily and are great starter skis IMHO. Starting around 2003 model year for the Yammy I believe, and maybe a couple years later for the Doo. Also, easily resellable for the same price when you're ready to upgrade in a few months ;)

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What do you guys think about these?
https://loz.craigslist.org/boa/5979207287.html

Listing looks like they'd sell individually or both. Nada shows avg price should be about 2,750 though.

What should a trailer cost? Looks like this one isn't included.