• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

We were all new once

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Wanted to share a quick story with the group, especially those who have been around the block a time or two..

I was out and about looking a different places to launch my boat in the upper Chesapeake area and came across a single lane boat ramp and some run-down docks. As I was looking out I noticed a family having some difficulty launching their mid-90's 18-20 ft I/O bowrider, didn't catch the model. Young lady behind the wheel couldn't get it backed in straight with her late model Chevy Traverse. After watching and cringing for a few minutes I decided to approach and kindly ask if I could help. Right about that time she straightened it out and the family popped the buckles and proceeded to direct her back some more. While dropping the trailer in the water she over-corrected her steering again, at which point I decided to talk directly with her instead of the spotters. I had her come forward and straighten the front tires, but when she did they started to spin. I then noticed that her trailer tires had sunk into the sand. Had her do some more aggressive turns and dislodged the trailer tires. As polite as I could be, I advised the driver and family that I did not think launching from there was a smart move considering the type of boat, ramp conditions, and vehicle capabilities--didn't know those small SUV's were front-wheel drive either... silly in my mind. I offered them a couple of other ramps nearby that were in much better condition. They thanked me and took my advice.

As I pulled away in my truck I happened to run by a guy with a SR210 and stopped to talk to him for a few moments. Got back on the road and headed home. Once I hit the main drag and picked up speed I saw something in the middle of the road, looked like one of those roadside banners that flap in the wind. As I passed it, I realized it was a blue bimini top with the poles. Looked up and sure enough about a quarter mile up the road was a truck and boat pulled off on the side of the road. So I pulled over, got the bimini, and drove it up the boat, which happened to be the same boat and family that I encountered at the ramp earlier. Good folks, very appreciative, but obviously inexperienced and having a bad day. I also noticed after I helped them with their bimini that they were towing the boat on a 55 mph road with the bumpers still attached...

Ok, long story, but the moral here is that we, just like this family, were all new and inexperienced at one point too. Although I thoroughly enjoy some of the pics and memes of boat ramp drama, if you are the type to stand back and laugh, shame on you because 95% of the people out there really are trying their best and you're a jerk for not offering to help. Unless you are Chuck Norris, you were not born an expert at launching and retrieving boats, either. I also have ready many posts about rude people not accepting help.. fortunately this family was gracious and maybe one day I will see them out in the water. Also know your vehicle's capabilities and limitations; more power is better.

Lastly, this is not a shot at all on women or women towing boats. You gals are awesome and my wife has saved me from many a bad day on the water. We all know that backing up your boat at the ramp is 25% skill and 75% confidence in your abilities; she just didn't have the confidence factor. With reps and sets she will.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel like a newbie all over again. My new f150 doesn’t have tow mirrors, I can’t see anything around the boat lol. I tried the snap on extenders but they were useless. 2018 models changed the outside air temp sensor from the grill to the right mirror so there’s no aftermarket options yet.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great post.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I feel like a newbie all over again. My new f150 doesn’t have tow mirrors, I can’t see anything around the boat lol. I tried the snap on extenders but they were useless. 2018 models changed the outside air temp sensor from the grill to the right mirror so there’s no aftermarket options yet.
Try some 2” convex stick on blind spot mirrors. Cheap and you can see a whole lot more.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great post, good for you for helping out. You’re 100% right, we’ve all been there.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
A single axle trailer is a real bitch to back up. Last year I was in Richland, WA at the point. A very popular launch to the Columbia River. There's also 3 restaurants right on the water with a large outdoor eating area. It was a very nice day right around lunch and there must have been 200 plus people all eating lunch. This was my second time backing up a trailer. It didn't go well. I could not get it straight to save my life. I was very frustrated and my wife and I were not very happy with each other. I felt like all 200 people were staring at me and my failure to launch, lol. About the time I was ready to say fuck it a old fisherman was launching next to me and gave me advice I'll always remember. Told me to always try and back the boat down to the dock on the same side as the driver. I was doing the opposite. He then walked me down the dock and ever since I have always tried to back her down on the driver side. I've gotten much better and backing down a boat. Can't wait for my double axle trailer to get here. We are all new once.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been helping to coach my neighbors wife in her efforts to help load/unload their 23.5ft Tri-Toon. This is the second half of their second season with this boat. She has watched as my wife has successfully launch and load our AR190 for almost 3 seasons now, often times in considerably bad conditions. My wife has almost a decade of boating experience now, and is arguably better at these tasks than I am. So friends wife wants to help with the workload of this process the same as mine.

The single hardest part for her so far has been getting over the "everyone's staring at me, and I don't want to be a klutz". Her husband, my wife, and myself have all said to not worry about it, and have been about as supportive as possible. It wasn't until I made a comment this weekend that she agreed to attempt to load the boat back on the trailer........I said "Whats the worst they're gonna say? Dang, looks like she's new at this. I remember those days". Once she realized that we had all been there a time or three her confidence was higher, and she put the boat on first try, no problems. The issue wasn't her ability, but rather her confidence.

The people that bring out lawn chairs to watch the madness on holiday weekends really aren't helping much for those of us trying to learn, I'll give her that!

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
always a great reminder, we have all had those days, I remember them when we were new to it, and some times, they still manage to happen!

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Joshua Miller Great write up and thanks for sharing. There is not a day that goes by when I am out in my boat that I'm not fearful I'm going to screw something up and look like a complete buffoon who has no reason to be behind the helm. I think the most dreadful part is having something occur when some braniac who has been born in and on the water for all of his life is there with a camera recording and laughing at my expense as opposed to stopping for a second and saying "hey try this" or "can I show/recommend a better way?" I can poke fun and take a bit of ribbing with the best of them but at times its just plain unwarranted.

Most recently I was bringing my boat in to put it on the trailer and the wind was seriously pushing me around and I mean to the extent that I ended up in the next loading lane sideways before I finally had enough and decided to power out and try it again. As embarrassed as I was I looked up only to see that there was literally nobody around or watching me (that I could see) and even with all of my trying to do it as correctly as I could, there was still a number of things that were out of my control... main one at this time being the wind! Not a huge success on coming out of the water that day but we live and we learn!!!!

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Recently towed a boat in. Was on a Thursday and we were the last people in that area. Was about 16 people from south of the border packed onto a 21’ boat with a couple dogs. Crazy how far people will go just to get out.

Took about 30 min to tow them in but they thanked us. Never know when it will be your time to need the assistance out there!

That said, being new and having trouble is one thing, but too many people are just disrespectful and ignorant. We have a launch ramp that can easily accommodate 3 trailers each side of dock, 4 with experienced drivers. I get tired of waiting in a line and then being yelled at for passing people who don’t want to utilize the lanes properly (unmarked “lanes”). If it’s busy and there is room, people need to drop their trailer in....... just because you can’t do it doesn’t mean everyone else should have to wait. Be courteous and wave people forward..... but don’t get mad at me because you have not practiced enough. I can load/unload my boat faster by myself than some people can get a trailer in the water.

But it’s like anything, some people don’t practice and don’t get out much so they don’t ever learn. I do try and help out as much as possible. Some people are jackoffs but most are decent and nice.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife is a pro now driving the truck to the ramp and backing me in. However, there were several boat ramp fights and arguments during the learning process. One in particular was when we had our old fishing boat, single axle and only 16 feet. Those are unforgiving with even the slightest turn of the wheel. She’s trying to back the trailer down this skinny dirt ramp and keeps jack knifing and I’m in the water 100 feet away yelling instructions to her. An older gentleman that’s known me since I was a kid is fishing with my stepdad in the boat ramp’s cove and tells him how much trouble I’m about to get into. Well she finally had enough and parks the truck right there on the ramp all crooked, gets out, and yells for me to do it myself. So yes, please be patient with people who are trying but struggling. With a little patience and help one day they’ll probably be very good. Now when she pulls me up to the ramp I like to watch people’s face when they see her back it in and we’re unloaded/loaded in about 60 seconds.

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been boating for many years, the bulk of the time we have a 23' sport pontoon. They don't have tiedowns on the back. I am in year 1 of my AR190 and just yesterday I tried launching the boat with the straps still attached at the back. It is so hard for me to remember them since I never had to worry about them before. So I was a new boater yesterday!

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife was pulling the boat onto the trailer last month. Probably only her 5th time doing it, and first of this year. She juiced it a little too much and I had to back her in so she could do it again. No big deal and it only added a minute to us getting out. One guy was waiting for us, and when she got it on the trailer he complimented her. He will probably never know how much that simple sentence did for her confidence.

I in no way feel like I have this boating thing figured out, but the title to this thread made me think of the last verse of a great David Allan Coe song:

And he's thinking of getting a tattoo,
And maybe an earring or two.
As much as we hate to admit it,
We all know what he's going through.
We say he's a true weekend warrior,
He's wearing his old Harley hat.
And the truth is it's hard to remember,
That we all started out just like that.