• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wear and tear on gel-coat of the changing room, engine cover

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Hello!
A recent YouTube video by our old friend, "Out on the Reef," addressed fiberglass damage on the lower portion of the hatch where the changing room door and the engine cover attach:

My FSH has 71 hours on it. I looked, and yes, there is the slightest bit of wear on the gel-coat starting. My first thought was hull vibration and plain old contact.

However, looking closer yesterday, I saw two reasons and just adding new gel-coat won't solve the problem.

1-When my passenger sat on the seat, it pressed the door against the frame. One side rubbed against the other.
2-When I dropped the door closed, it slammed the edge of the door against the door jam quite hard, and seemed to do the most immediate type of damage.
3-Same thing with the engine cover. In fact, one side of the engine cover door curves slightly down as if it were not sanded down to a straight edge. This made contact with the hull each time I closed it and when I sat on the seat.

What I have done to alleviate the potential for more damage past the gel-coat, is to add rubber padding at the contact points. You can use rubber outdoor weather sealant for this.

Once the contact is prevented in the first place, you can prevent the damage, or at least, mitigate it.

IMG_0918.jpg IMG_0917.jpg

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Interesting, I cant add much help, but in both of my yamaha’s the front of the engine hatch has been really rough looking since new.... I dont have any pictures here, but yeah.... disappointing