• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Weekend Trip Questions (Trailering/Slip/Bilge Pump)

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First off, thanks in advance to any advice and answers.

Gonna head to Broken Bow this weekend, about a 4 hour drive from Dallas. Since this is an extended drive I'm considering covering the boat for the drive. Should I use the anti-pooling poles? I wasn't going to considering any rain should just shear off in the wind. Any disadvantage to just not covering? My previous boat didn't really have a trailer able cover so we never covered in transit.

I'll be renting a slip at the lake. The Connext system doesn't have to stay on for the auto bilge function, right? That would be silly. Just want to make sure.

I tow about 3.5 hours about every other weekend and always cover without the poles. Many times end up running through some heavy rain. Never had issues. Boats always clean and dry when I'm ready to hit the water saturday morning (if it stopped raining by then.) I usually tow with the cover on if it's more than 45 minutes on the freeway, just to keep things clean. Locally I tow uncovered.

I just towed my new AR240 2400 miles round trip between Houston and Ft. Lauderdale. I used the shipping cover with the antipooling poles, per my dealer's advice. At the 1800 mile mark, the shipping cover ripped apart at the seam that goes across the bow section. I had to take the cover off for the rest of the trip. I've seen folks post on this topic, but if I were to do it again, I'd only use the cover for security purposes and not have it on while towing. The Yamaha bilge pump works as long as the battery is on. Connext does not need to be on for the bilge pump to turn on automatically, as long as you have bilge set to automatically turn on in your connext settings.

I've towed from Dallas to Broken Bow every year for the last three years and leave the cover at home.
I'm taking the boat to Austin (about 3 hours from Dallas) for a week in August and I'll tow it with the cover off. But I'll bring the cover with me to use when the boat is parked in the hotel parking lot during the week.

Every cover I've had in the past met its demise by being subjected to highway speed wind beating on it for several hours.

But thats just me... :p

There will be lots of opinions on this..Six in one, half a dozen in the other... Take your pick. I like to cover to keep things in the boat and other things out of the boat. I think there are a lot of factors that would make for different answers, like type of cover, condition of cover, proper installment of cover.. Anything flapping loose in the wind will be destroyed or destroy something else.....

Thanks for all the tips and info.

I just towed my new AR240 2400 miles round trip between Houston and Ft. Lauderdale. I used the shipping cover with the antipooling poles, per my dealer's advice.
I believe your dealer may have steered you wrong...
image.jpg

First off, thanks in advance to any advice and answers.

Gonna head to Broken Bow this weekend, about a 4 hour drive from Dallas. Since this is an extended drive I'm considering covering the boat for the drive. Should I use the anti-pooling poles? I wasn't going to considering any rain should just shear off in the wind. Any disadvantage to just not covering? My previous boat didn't really have a trailer able cover so we never covered in transit.

I'll be renting a slip at the lake. The Connext system doesn't have to stay on for the auto bilge function, right? That would be silly. Just want to make sure.
We're headed to Broken Bow this weekend too! I always tow with the mooring cover to keep things in the boat and to keep the interior clean.

Let me know if you'd like to meet up.

I don't have any other boating advice, but if you have never tried Grateful Head pizza in hochatown then you are missing a life changing pizza experience, I may be underselling the place a little.

Well we are gonna be delayed going....not sure the impact yet. Youngest (2) split her head open and we are waiting for glue or staples.

I believe your dealer may have steered you wrong...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that sticker is on the mooring cover not the shipping cover? In any case I never saw that on my mooring cover and for longer trips I always use the anti-pooling pools. I guess I should try it without them, I'm just worried it will make the whole cover lose in some areas and cause more harm then good. Planing on a trip to Ouachita this weekend and its around 5 hour drive. For that kind of trip I always use the cover.

I don't have any other boating advice, but if you have never tried Grateful Head pizza in hochatown then you are missing a life changing pizza experience, I may be underselling the place a little.
That place is awesome! We are headed there as soon as my youngest is out of the shower.

I tow on the highway with the mooring cover and always remove the poles. The cover actually is really tight and forms to the windshield on the boat so there is no flapping. I recently took a pool noodle and cut it open and put it around the windshield frame to avoid it any potential ware and tear from sharpe edges. At high speeds you don't have to worry about water pooling up anyways.

@Edward sorry to hear about your 2yo. I'm the one that waved at you in the marina parking lot with the black SX and big tan Dodge Ram. Your boat is gorgeous! You're really gonna enjoy this lake. You can really burn some fuel trying to see it all too. We're just waking up and fixing to get breakfast so I'll have good cell service for another hour or so. Give me a notification on the board if you want to try and meet up. I could show you around a little if you like. If not we'll just see you out there. Have a great day!

@PEARCE , thanks. She ended up getting staples and can't get in the water. We made it just in time to drop the boat in the water and get the slip. Didn't realize it was going to be uncovered, oh well. My parents have my sisters kids and are with us and my little ones too, so we have a full crew. I'd like to hook up but they are going to keep me busy, so potentially later but will see. We are going to cruise with the 2 year old and then might drop the wife off later depending the temperament of the little one.

I'll give a shout out if our schedule becomes easier. Have a great and safe day on the lake.

Back