• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Well, it finally happened - ran out of gas!

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We took a family trip to Lake Ouachita last week. Had a blast on the lake, but I wanted to run the boat almost empty before leaving so I ran it down to the edge the last day. Well, apparently, I took the edge a little too far and we ran out of gas right before we got to the boat ramp. We handled it good as a family and just turned it into a little adventure - walking the boat in along the shore, but it got me thinking... “maybe I should carry a spare tank just in case”. I know the obvious statement would be to just watch my gas gauge, but I usually like to run the tank almost dry after use because the ethanol in gas these days breaks down very quickly.

Has anyone added a spare tank to their boat? I could hide one just about anywhere, but I’m worried about the safety risks

I would love to hear ideas from folks...

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used to carry an extra 2 gallons on board my old boat because I didn't really trust the fuel gauge. I don't really see the need to routinely run it down that low, especially in season when you're probably running the boat fairly often. You'd be better off keeping it full and using stabil if you're really concerned (I only use stabil for winter storage).

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know this wasn't your intention but running your tank empty is a very bad idea as you will run water and fine sediment into your fuel delivery system, even with fuel filters.

These engines and fuel systems are designed for the current fuels being used. Not like the first few years when the ethanol fuels first came out and older engines were forced to use them.

If you add a fuel stabilizer, like Marine Stabil you will not have to worry about phase separation of your fuel. Running out of fuel on the water, at the very least is embarrassing but at the worst can be very dangerous.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
By the way...Carrying external containers of fuel can be a risky situation. especially if carried in an enclosed space.

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, the intention wasn’t to run the boat dry. That was a flat out mistake. I do use Marine Stabil, but I have had an instance in the past where it failed on me. I ended up changing all the plugs, twice and then finally drained the tank and refilled and it worked, so I don’t completely trust it anymore. I agree on the spare fuel tank - definitely dangerous, which is why I was looking for thoughts from folks.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In order for Stabil to work efficiently you have to make sure the tank is as full as you can get it. Any space leftover can allow for water to form. Just pouring in Stabil in a tank that is not totally full isn't ideal for long term storage. Need the tank as full as you can possibly get it then add the Stabil then drive around with boat on trailer to mix it up if you're not on the water. Otherwise add the Stabil first, then fill up, drive for a bit to mix it good then top it back off.

As far as running the tank empty that's not good as mentioned you'll have sediment in the bottom of the tank. Probably worse than worrying about ethanol lol. Fuel does not go bad within a month or even 3 months. So use your boat and refill when it gets 1/2 tank and carry on with life.

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your profile shows you in TX which indicates, to me, you have a longer boating season, thus a shorter storage season, than us Yankees here in the northeast. I've been using the Marine Stabil (blue color) for the last 8 years with no hint of a problem. I use it through the boating season. On my last trip of the season I treat my tank for all 50 gallons even though the remaining fuel is already treated. The last thing I do is fill the tank. During the process of revving the engines to expel water from the water boxes & fogging the engines treated fuel is running through the fuel system which protects everything.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In order for Stabil to work efficiently you have to make sure the tank is as full as you can get it. Any space leftover can allow for water to form. Just pouring in Stabil in a tank that is not totally full isn't ideal for long term storage. Need the tank as full as you can possibly get it then add the Stabil then drive around with boat on trailer to mix it up.

As far as running the tank empty that's not good as mentioned you'll have sediment in the bottom of the tank. Probably worse than worrying about ethanol lol. Fuel does not go bad within a month or even 3 months. So use your boat and refill when it gets 1/2 tank and carry on with life.
Easier way is to add the Stabil right before you add your fuel. This allows the incoming fuel to stir/mix it in. Then when you trailer home it will continue to slosh around and mix even more. We always stop and fuel up on the way home and follow this routine. I hope this helps.