• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Well it Finally Happened to Me - The 2010 Oil issue

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have always been the one to state I never had the oil issue that was common in the 2010s. We took the boat out Saturday and I saw oil! I looked and the port side engine third bolt down the sheared off. No cracks in the housing.

My plan is to get with my dealer and see if they will do anything (doubt it) and then get a new bolt (2) and new gaskets. Take the old one off, use a pipe wrench or something to unscrew the broken bolt and put it back together with the new bolt. I will go ahead and pull the other bolt out and put a new one in there as well. I need to change the oil anyway.

Anyone have issues unscrewing the broken bolt out once the housing was moved out of the way?

Good news is I won't keep worrying that this problem will appear some day. Also, it is not summer!

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Post the fix with picks !!!

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Anyone have issues unscrewing the broken bolt out once the housing was moved out of the way?
From the other oil cooler thread..."Fix - they removed the oil cooler and put into a hot water bath so the aluminum oil cooler would expand (metal bolt so it's unaffected) and they took a screwdriver and were able to get it out easily".

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks - I thought (not having taken it off yet) the bolt went all the way through the cooler but sounds like it doesn't.

jfkraus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
1. Remove the oil cooler by taking out the three larger bolts. Don't worry about the small bolts yet.
2. Disconnecting the hoses is a challenge due to accessibility. There are three hoses, one of which is hard to see. The hose clamps are tough if you don't have the proper tool (as I didn't).
3. After you remove the oil cooler it's easier to separate the pieces. There are four small bolts on the back of the cooler that are very hard if not impossible to get to unless you remove the cooler.
4. The Drill-Out Micro Power Extractor is a great tool! It made removing the sheared off bolt super easy.
5. Putting the oil cooler back on was easy except reconnecting the hoses because of the hose clamps. Be careful to not over-torque the bolts!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks this is very helpful. Do you recall what type of clamps were used (water pump clamps [squeeze] or screwed clamps)? So you couldn't;t just grab the broken stub and twist it out? Thanks again for sharing your experience and knowledge!

jfkraus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks this is very helpful. Do you recall what type of clamps were used (water pump clamps [squeeze] or screwed clamps)? So you couldn't;t just grab the broken stub and twist it out? Thanks again for sharing your experience and knowledge!
I used these:

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4502-Hose-Clamp-Pliers/dp/B000I1KJT8
http://www.amazon.com/Alden-1007P-Piece-Master-Extractor/dp/B0002ESD80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454440163&sr=8-1&keywords=alden+drill+out

I had to use the drillout because the bolt sheered off flush with the housing.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My dealer is great (Park Marine in Kennesaw GA). I will bring them the boat next weekend. The will fix this for what the oil change costs and they will replace the other bolt as well. He is going to try to get Yamaha to cover the whole thing as well. he said if they do he will use the new cooler. I buy all my oil and filters from them anyway! They will go ahead and replace the reverse surge solenoid on the trailer for $40 too! Since they are not busy it will be ready by the following Saturday. They would have picked the boat up for me but the boat is at the lake house almost two hours away (Hartwell) they always did when I was docked at Allatoona!. I can't complain. I am so busy this works out great!