• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Went in looking sx210, now thinking 212x ?!?

JohnB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those who have made the jump up to the 212 X series, what are your thoughts after having it for a while? Found an 83 hour used 2019 212x that I'm thinking seriously about. Also, what's a reasonable price for a 1 year old 212x? Person traded it in on a full fledged wake boat.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
For those who have made the jump up to the 212 X series, what are your thoughts after having it for a while? Found an 83 hour used 2019 212x that I'm thinking seriously about. Also, what's a reasonable price for a 1 year old 212x? Person traded it in on a full fledged wake boat.
Can't comment on the X model wake edition and how it performs for wakeboarding/surfing, but we just bought our first jetboat, a 212s and we're very happy with it. Considered the smaller 195s but we wanted a similarly sized boat to what we had with a high freeboard and more room and more performance. The twin engines makes the boat an absolute rocket so performance is certainly not an issue. :D

What are you planning to do with it? Surfing, wakeboarding, skiing, tubing, all of the above? Give more info about what you plan to do, and members can help with their personal input and experiences.

JohnB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Initial plan on using it as a runabout, tubing skiing...but then started thinking that surfing would be a lot of fun since the adults are not as much into the the wipe outs that come with the skiing and tubing. Wake surfing looks like a fun, low(er) impact activity. Want to be able to take friends and the kids (13 & 10) out on the lake for a day of fun, so need to be able to haul 8 (4 adults and 4 kids) easily.

What would be a reasonable price for a 2019 212X with <100 hours on it?

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha jacked up the price of the 212x a couple years ago when they rebranded it as part of their wake series line. From what I understand it doesn't have the bells and whistles of the 242x like throttle by wire and speed control, but still comes in at a pretty hefty price.

Have you considered a AR240? You'll get more room, and from what I understand (which may not be much btw) to wakesurf on either you are probably going have to make several aftermarket upgrades (ballast, speed control, wake wedge or other product). MSRP on the AR240 < 212X

JohnB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The more I read on here, I've been starting to wonder if I should steer away from the 212x. (Also, the dealer is basically asking 2019 MSRP for a used boat with 80 hours on it)

I'm starting to wonder if an AR240 or the 212S is a better direction to go then budget $1000 for the weight bags and board holders. Either way, will be buying a wake shaper.

Seems like the AR 240 has most of what the 212S does. I'm only seeing the marine mat, charging ports and docking lights as the main differences. What else am I missing?

Also, surprising that the AR240 boat dry weight is only 150 lbs more than the 212S (and within 50 lbs of the 212x).

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 212s will have a nicer tower probably a better sound system. Overall it has a more premium feel to it, at least that was the impression I got when I was crawling around on one last year. I knew I wasn't getting the 212S so I didn't pay close attention.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The more I read on here, I've been starting to wonder if I should steer away from the 212x. (Also, the dealer is basically asking 2019 MSRP for a used boat with 80 hours on it)

I'm starting to wonder if an AR240 or the 212S is a better direction to go then budget $1000 for the weight bags and board holders. Either way, will be buying a wake shaper.
The 212x model has WetSounds speakers, amp, tower bar, wakeboard racks, ballast bags over the 212s. We have no need for the racks or ballast and speakers/amp setup. I'm installing a 4ch JL Audio amp to boost the Polk speakers running the 6.5's on 2 channels in parallel, and the swim platform 5.25's on their own 2 channels so I can fade the rears off when cruising. I don't need a sub so this will be plenty for our needs.
Seems like the AR 240 has most of what the 212S does. I'm only seeing the marine mat, charging ports and docking lights as the main differences. What else am I missing?
That's the main differences, but as mentioned better speakers, plus 2 more for the swim platform, Fusion head unit, nicer dash, tower. It's a bit more premium over the 240 and very little difference in practical size. We considered the 240 but wanted the extra speakers which are nicer, and 21 feet was big enough for us. Colour was also much nicer for our tastes with a nice clean look and no flashy graphics.
Also, surprising that the AR240 boat dry weight is only 150 lbs more than the 212S (and within 50 lbs of the 212x).
Not really surprising...same engines and just a bit more fiberglass for the added length.

It all comes down to what do YOU need from your boat purchase?

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2020 AR240 has the fusion head unit, not sure about older models. I wanted the AR210 but after a couple weeks of COVID madness all I could get was the AR240. 240 stock speakers aren’t very loud and leave something to be desired, especially on the swim deck since there are none back there. I added two tower speakers/amp, made a world of difference, especially since we spend most our time behind the boat at the sandbar.
I like the little bit of extra room. I’ve also enjoyed having the extra length on the water we boat at. It can get pretty choppy in the bay on busy days, or if a storm kicks up. I’ve watched some smaller 19ft boats get tossed around pretty good as we cruise on by.
If surfing/boarding is what you plan on doing I would lean toward a boat with the ballast already installed. I haven’t done it but it sounds like a pain securing/filling bags and/or loosing storage space.

Gunghoe9

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We weren’t sure either, but when we saw the 212x there was a bit more premium of a feel when compared to the AR series boats. We knew we’d get into surfing so we splurged. We can surf with the factory ballast with the Wakebooster attachment and no added ballast. Would more ballast be better? I’m sure it would be but we’re just getting into it and love it so far.
Looking at the current market, I’m not surprised that the dealer is asking for the price you describe, chances are if you don’t buy it someone else will.
Good luck in your decision, let me know if you have any questions.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had a 212X model previously to this, so a 212x was going to be the only way I was going to go. It was either that or full on tow boat. Tow boat doesn't quite fit our lifestyle yet, so new 212x was it.