• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wetsound or JL Audio

BigShizz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking for some recommendations, going to upgrade my factory speakers on my sx242 limited S. Thinking wetsound but I have jl audio currently.. recommendations???
Thanks

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Can't go wrong with either brand. I've had both and I prefer the WetSounds REVO. To me they sound better. Lots of opinions here so get ready. Check my sig for more detail. Good luck!

:Welcome: to the forum!!! Great place to be with the best people. Please post pics. We all love picture of outings and people having a good time.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Were you the same that posted this on facebook? As that question was “should I replace my stock JL Audio speakers”

I don’t know of any Yamaha that came with JL Audio. Are you sure? If you actually have JL Audio, don’t waste your money replacing them. Put money into a sub and amps.

Good luck,

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Can you tell us more about your system? I.e. amps, speakers, subs and head unit? Mine is a 2017 and it has Polk equipment. I know the 18s and/or 19s have fusion and wet sounds equipment. Not sure about the 2014 models.

I agree with @biffdotorg, if you already have JL speakers, they’re right up there with the best and I wouldn’t change them if I were you.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you could go with either one and be completely satisfied. I started the JL tower and sub Slampaks and upgraded with more JL from there. It's awesome and I'd do it again.

Last edited:

BigShizz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Were you the same that posted this on facebook? As that question was “should I replace my stock JL Audio speakers”

I don’t know of any Yamaha that came with JL Audio. Are you sure? If you actually have JL Audio, don’t waste your money replacing them. Put money into a sub and amps.

Good luck,
Yea Sir..

BigShizz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can you tell us more about your system? I.e. amps, speakers, subs and head unit? Mine is a 2017 and it has Polk equipment. I know the 18s and/or 19s have fusion and wet sounds equipment. Not sure about the 2014 models.

I agree with @biffdotorg, if you already have JL speakers, they’re right up there with the best and I wouldn’t change them if I were you.
Right now just stock speakers, no amp, clarion 680 head unit.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How many speakers? All JL? I’d suggest an amp (maybe more than one depending on the number of speakers) and a sub. I have a JL sub and it’s great.

BigShizz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
6 speakers total right now. Wasn't considering a amp right away but maybe I will.
Thanks

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
With 6 speakers, I’d get an amp for sure. Lots of info on this forum about amps. I have Polks but would probably go JL or Wetsounds if I was starting from scratch.

BigShizz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just dont know if I want to replace the existing JL with something newer or go with wetsounds.. A friend of mine has Westounds and they sound great at the sandbar. This is going to phase approached get speakers first and new head unit, then add tower speaker later on.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The general consensus that I've heard is that you go with JL for quality, clarity, and longevity. You go with with Wetsounds for volume, and maybe just a step down in clarity and longevity. But I can only speak for my JL's.

If I were piecing a stereo together in your situation:
Step 1 - Amp the existing JL's. Even new Wetsounds won't sound any better unless there's an amp pushing them.
Step 2 - Sub and a second amp with volume control. It's going to add all the depth and richness you will lack with the smaller speakers. I think, depending on the amp, you can even isolate channels and control the volume separately if you wanted that option.
Step 3 - Amped tower speakers. I have 4 tower speakers on a 3rd amp with a separate volume control. This way I can crank up the tunes for riders via the tower. But, you could amp them with your other internal speakers if you have the extra channels.

Mine is a 2/200 watt bridged with volume control powering the sub. 4/400 watt with separate volume control powering the four 7.7" tower speakers. 6/600 watt powering the 6 internal speakers.
20180520_121614-1.jpg

I'm an amateur at best when it comes to stereo equipment, but this system turned out great. Given the chance, I'd do it the same again. But, as I said before, I think you could go with either brand and be completely satisfied.

BigShizz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I appreciate your feedback! Thinking about replacing my existing JLs with a newer model JL speaker and add a amp. Later on I'll add the tower speakers.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had my dealer install this
And this
On my AR240 when new. Because I did both they ended up swapping amps and wiring the tower speakers on the 6 channel amp and isolating the sub on the 2 channel amp.

Later I added 2 more speakers in the cockpit and 2 more on the tower leading me to add a 3rd 4 channel amp isolating the 4 tower speakers.

I'm not sure the value of these packages if all purchased separately...? Maybe there's a savings with a package deal? Something to consider anyway.

NickF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The question you should be asking is how much are you looking to spend? I would suggest on getting a budget and building a system around that. Then ask yourself, do you want it to be loud inside the boat or outside the boat. I was looking at the sound inside my boat and installed JL audio's M6's (4 x 7.7, 4 x 6.5, 1 x M100 (tweeters), 2 x 10"subs, 1 x M800 and 1 x M400) and overall its VERY balanced, but it wasn't cheap either. If your looking to just be loud outside the boat, then just add some tower speakers and put an amp to your interiors and call it a day. Hope that helps.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
JL marine drivers have not changed since first introduced. Sure they have changed looks and added the mx series but m and mx series are unchanged since introduced besides grills and lighting. I have a pair of m880 towers and like them for everything but wakeboarding as they just don’t project the sound like the ws rev series. I think the perfect speaker combo putting aside budget is wetsounds rev towers and JL M series for the interior.

As for amps WS will give you more power for the money. JL amps on the other hand are sealed and waterproof rather than just water resistant. So nod to WS on power and nod to JL on environmental engineering. Cheap Class D marine amps can do well with subs as the response band is low and narrow but I don’t recommend them for full range applications.

For head units Fusion or JL would be my pick with a preference for models with integrated DSP and NMEA2K. I don’t know of a single head unit that can fully power any speaker over 25 watts so yes amps are certainly needed in a boat to get real output.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I went JL and didn't look back. Had a lot of research and debate but if you are ever going to have the boat in salt JL is the way to go. The audio quality is outstanding and the compact amplifiers can fit just about anywhere. With 4 MX770's, 1 MX 10 sub, and the M600'6 amp I can clearly hear music from the 190 a couple hundred ft away.

On the head unit side of things, a lot of people like the Fusion's for the feature set but IMO the best bang for the buck is the Kenwood KMR-M325BT. For less than $100 you get a fully digital head unit that will not distort at full volume and is rock solid in the audio quality/reliability department. Add in a chubby button remote and you can control the music from anywhere in the boat.

BigShizz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had my dealer install this
And this
On my AR240 when new. Because I did both they ended up swapping amps and wiring the tower speakers on the 6 channel amp and isolating the sub on the 2 channel amp.

Later I added 2 more speakers in the cockpit and 2 more on the tower leading me to add a 3rd 4 channel amp isolating the 4 tower speakers.

I'm not sure the value of these packages if all purchased separately...? Maybe there's a savings with a package deal? Something to consider anyway.
Is the slampak JL speakers LEDs?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length