• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What a day...my ego hurts!

So, here is a noob question:

Regarding the brakes on the hills, what should you have done to prevent that. Aside from switching to electric brakes, I can't say that I know the solution, other than to slow down and take several cool- down breaks.

Glad no one was hurt and the boat is fine. Enjoy the rest of your time there. Oh, and +1 on the beer.

Curious myself. Like you said, electric brakes seem logical. Could having the truck in tow/haul mode have helped/hurt?

I have not read too many success stories of those with electric brakes on boat trailers. I think @Speedling is the only one I know of. I have read several stories of those that have tried them or past experience, they are great on dry land for sure. My anchor welder is a big fisherman with a center console, and he has oil bath hubs and tells me many of their group tried electric brakes a few years back and ended up switching back to surge brakes. A number of manufacturers have tried electric brakes on their boat trailers and most have switched back to surge units, but I am sure there are upper end trailer/boats that use them, because if money isn't a consideration there are ways around the water/electrical issues by using upper end equipment. @Speedling , post up what you have, where you got them, and your actual success, we need a base line on this if guys are going to consider them. And...there is more than one type of electric brake setup out there, so results and reputation is speculative if you don't know what they are using.

The hill thing is what it is. If you feel/hear the boat riding against the tongue, then you know your brakes are dragging. It isn't going to drag on the average downhill section, it is only going to ride against your tongue on a steep grade. Average hills won't cause this, but you can still get heating on shallow hill grades if...your on a downhill grade and you actually apply brakes, then that will force the weight of the boat and trailer into the tongue and it won't back off until you accelerate. So in hilly terrain, technique is important to keep the boat off the tongue on downhill sections. The account I posted about out around the Sierras that had issues actually blocked his actuator on several trips and just went slow and took breaks on another trip. I worked around it just by paying attention and knowing if the trailer was actuating the brakes, if it did, you would pull over and stop, and then start up against to extend the actuator and release the brakes. Very steep grades, he blocked them. I had a caliper freeze up once on a vacation trip to Arkansas. I pressed the caliper out of the way, bled some fluid out of the lines to force air into them, and disabled them to prevent another lockup. I did the return with no trailer brakes without issue. That would not be the recommended method of routinely dealing with hilly terrain, but if you happen to have a long downhill grade in the mountains, go slow, and consider all options. Having the brakes drag for several miles isn't an option, you will burn your brakes up. The best thing you can do is to pay attention to your surge unit and know when brakes are applied. In and around lakes with pretty undulating terrain, it can be pretty common to be going downhill for a long way. And if you start and stop a bunch at corners or stops, then you apply the trailer brakes often, if the terrain remains downhill, and you don't get the weight off the tongue, they are dragging. So just being aware, gives you the ability to jerk the trailer a tad to release the brakes at every start.

I'm very jealous of your trip to Table Rock. We went summer before last for a week and we really enjoyed it. Stayed in a cabin at the Port of Kimberling and kept the boat in a wet slip in the marina. We came through a lot of steep hills getting there and it was quite an adventure. We never had any issues with brakes on the truck or the trailer and using the tow\haul mode and the exhaust brake on the diesel truck worked like a charm. It was actually fun pulling through the hills.

With bending one of your rims quite well and finding another good sized dent in a second rim gives you a good reason to upgrade to a nice set of aluminum rims. Enjoy the rest of your trip! Stay safe.

If I did it all over again I would have taken my diesel and once I reached the steep winding hills I would lock the brakes out on the trailer. My super duty can handle large trailers with no brakes so I would feel comfortable doing that. The issue was not that my Denali couldn't slow the trailer it was just the fact that you are on a steep grade and the actuator was just constantly leaning on the denali causing the brakes to engage.

Our other mistake was taking a different route than the highway due to where we dropped my daughter off at.

Other than those couple issues we have really had a great time!

Attached is the wheel we bent up. I see new wheels in my future!

Attachments

• 2014-06-28 16.19.28.jpg
    2014-06-28 16.19.28.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 10
Ouch.. Im not sure but , isn't there a pin that slides into the actuator on the tongue that you can use to lock out the trailer brake.?

Yeah, @Lspeedss , you can lock them out. That is what @CDENsomnia was saying, in his super duty, he would have.

Sorry I misread that. Good!

just an fyi, you can lock them out when pulling w/the Denali as well....my 07 didn't have any issues stopping it when we went down there, honestly I still sort of miss that for it's towing capabilities

Yea I am sure the Denali would do fine but I will say the boat semi pushes the Denali around. Driving my Super Duty is like driving a rock. The boat doesn't push the truck at all. Just a much safer feeling in the drivers seat. Anyone know of a better lockout pin? They kind of suck at actually staying in.

yea, I understand that....we used my brothers diesel a couple times and couldn't even feel it back

I'm not sure about a better pin, but we always tape ours in place

Like I always say...

l-606.jpg

Glad it all worked out for you and nobody got hurt. A beer and a boat can make many things better.

As for the trailer brakes, I long ago locked mine out and taped it that way. Pads probably look like new.

Yea I am sure the Denali would do fine but I will say the boat semi pushes the Denali around. Driving my Super Duty is like driving a rock. The boat doesn't push the truck at all. Just a much safer feeling in the drivers seat. Anyone know of a better lockout pin? They kind of suck at actually staying in.
You can tape the lockout key in there, or just tape in a couple of nickels, one on each side. My caliper was frozen, so I moved it back with a C-clamp and bled the brakes, permanently disabling them until I got back from vacation. For hilly transitions, a dual lockout would be one way to manage the terrain, if done carefully.

Back