• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What am I looking at?

Gilbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I've had my yamaha 212 LS for about 4 months now and have been to the water about 8 or so times and just recently after my last outing I noticed some cracks near the tower mounts. Last time out was the first time towing from the tower and it was a single tube for probably a total time of 30 minutes. The cracks are showing alot more on starboard side than port side but eventually on both sections I didn't notice the cracks till I got home and did my checklist rundown... my question is, should I be concerned about structural damage due to tower towing? Is this normal or common? How would I go about improving the strength of the boat in the tower areas? Thanks for the help

P.S. I am new here, new to yamaha, and new to boats. I come from a long time background of jetski's and finally decided to upgrade to a boat.

20170612_174455.jpg 20170612_174459.jpg

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Stress cracks. I'd say totally normal, but that's a matter of opinion. Generally, won't be covered under warranty, as it's just cosmetic. Since you say you were pulling a tube from the tower, might want to search for some of the threads regarding this, that's an ongoing debate. I'm personally on the side of using the tower for wake sports only, and using the lower tow point for tubes and skis.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Glassman, what do you think?
@Gilbert, I believe that many of us have had cracked gelcoat fixed under warranty, so don't hesitate to get Yamaha to step up.
Recently, a fiberglass shop that does warranty work for Yamaha told me that the two most common reasons for gelcoat cracks on Yamaha boats are from the gelcoat being applied too thick, and from poorly executed repairs in the factory during initial production.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think Mr. Moose is on the right track. Your boat is basically new, I think Yamaha should cover that. You might want to have them look at it now just to document that it happened early. Then have the repair done after you are done enjoying your boating season. :cool: