• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

What are some alternatives to drilling holes in fiberglass?

Ozzyj93

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey everyone. What are some good alternatives to drilling holes/using screws in the fiberglass? I’d like to hang some things on my boat such as my fire extinguisher and my battery charger, but I really don’t want to drill the fiberglass, or use screws. Anything else I can use? Thank you!

Hey everyone. What are some good alternatives to drilling holes/using screws in the fiberglass? I’d like to hang some things on my boat such as my fire extinguisher and my battery charger, but I really don’t want to drill the fiberglass, or use screws. Anything else I can use? Thank you!

Those all should be done on the wooden trim pieces, so screws are fine. 5200 works well too

For stuff that heavy things like Command Strips aren't going to work with all the bouncing around and moisture. I have used VHB tape to secure a solar panel on my hard top and cable clips for wiring but I don't think that would work for a charger and fire extinguisher because of the weight.... unless you mount them so the floor supports the weight.

You could use 4200 or 5200 if you want to make a permanent mount that you want to use to mount and remove items if it becomes necessary.

But I would use 316 stainless sheet metal screws or screws w/ nylok nuts. Watch video online on how to properly drill through gelcoat and fiberglass and countersink to prevent cracking.

I drilled 24 holes in a brand new boat that had't seen the water to install Lectrotabs. I drilled holes to mount a Noco charger and a second fire extinguisher. I also drilled holes for additional fender mounts. Once you drill the first one.... the rest become easy! ?

As far as mounting a fire extinguisher...try one of these roll bar mounts. Amazon.com
Or
quick release
or
suction cup

As far as a battery charger goes, it’s heavy, screw it to an internal bulkhead.

Last edited:
Can you give a little more into WHY you don't want to drill?

Do you want to be able to return to prior condition? Or are you worried about the integrity of the fiberglass after drilling? Perhaps some ideas are better than others given your specific motivation.

In addition to the good ideas in the prior posts, you could use some very strong adhesives to attach a board (say plastic/composite/aluminum bracket) you are willing to drill into, leaving the gelcoat/fiberglass intact.

Back