• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What are Yamaha AR190 model year differences? 2012 vs newer

schnur07

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Hello, I've tried searching differences in model years for the AR190s and haven't found much. I'm looking at at 2012 AR190 with 300 hours on it for $18,500. Seller says impeller is newer.

I thought there was a significant change in 2016 regarding the impeller but I can't recall. I'm not concerned about interior changes just changes that effect longevity or maintenance issues. I think there is also something about the hull? Articulating keel? I don't even know what that means.

Any particular concerns about a 2012 with 300 hours? I think I also remember reading that 300 hours is about the time for a motor rebuild.

thanks!

The Articulating Keel was Yamaha's answer to other Manufacturers claims about Yamaha's instability at low speeds.

It's a built in little metal blade that swings with the directional nozzle to help turn the boat (at low speeds - think docking and marinas).

If you've not driven a PWC or a Yamaha boat with a jet-drive they become directionally challenged at low speed. This is not a big deal to most of us and when mastered makes the driver a better driver (more keenly aware of tide, current, wind and surroundings).

For those who want greater control at low speed, there are after-market goodies that you can install and you can find lots of info here on them.

Good Luck!

Jet Drive Parts.jpg

Thanks! That diagram is very helpful. I currently have an old Sugar Sand fiberglass jet boat so I'm used to the handling at low speeds. I read that timing chains were an issue in a small percentage of I think pre 2016 boats? But maybe if it hasn't failed at this point it's not an issue? Anything in particular I could have my mechanic look at regarding the motor with 300 hours?

In 2019, did the 190 have the larger jet opposed to the previous 2018 generation? Or was that just on the 195 models?

@schnur07 I don’t have all the specifics, but I believe the 1.8L engines had an issue with the timing chain breaking. Sometime around 2015, Yamaha started using a thicker chain to remedy the issue. There should be some post on here on the topic.

Back