• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What battery is the best?

Shatty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have a 22 195S and it has an Interstate 24m-xhd. I am installing a dual battery system with the 2 piece Add-A-Battery system. Should I add another Interstate 24XHD or get the the SRM24 Deep Cycle Interstate as the 2nd house battery? Are there better batteries? I wouldnt mind swapping out the one that came with it and getting a diff brand. I heard to use the same battery as the 2nd. What should I do? What batteries are better?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Shatty What are your consumption needs and why are you installing a second battery? How much are you going to use the second/house battery?

Shatty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
@Shatty What are your consumption needs and why are you installing a second battery? How much are you going to use the second/house battery?
1 HTX 6 amp.. Thats it. Audio when boats off from 4-6 hours and also as a failsafe. I have a mini booster pack from Noco also

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
1 HTX 6 amp.. Thats it. Audio when boats off from 4-6 hours and also as a failsafe. I have a mini booster pack from Noco also
The best battery is a LiFePo4 lithium battery with built-in BMS - they make direct drop-in replacements now. They're not cheap, but they're the best for long life and listening time.

With just the one amp and not too loud, another group 24 size deep cycle is probably all you need. We can listen all day with the stock house battery if we don't crank it up. If you want to be "party central", then you'll probably need two more batteries. You can mix and match batteries as the charging system will equalize them, no need to keep them the same type or size or chemistry. Keep the stock battery for the start as it only needs to start the engine. Use a deep cycle or lithium for the house and connect your amp to it. Your battery kit should keep them isolated when floating so your start will always have juice to fire up the engine. If you have short runs back home, you'll need an on-board marine charger to keep the batteries fully charged and maintained when sitting. Noco makes good marine chargers.

I have a Noco GB40 booster pack too. I keep it in the truck for the winter if needed, and in the boat for the summer if needed. With the dual battery system, I've never had an issue though as the start battery is always full.

Shatty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
The best battery is a LiFePo4 lithium battery with built-in BMS - they make direct drop-in replacements now. They're not cheap, but they're the best for long life and listening time.

With just the one amp and not too loud, another group 24 size deep cycle is probably all you need. We can listen all day with the stock house battery if we don't crank it up. If you want to be "party central", then you'll probably need two more batteries. You can mix and match batteries as the charging system will equalize them, no need to keep them the same type or size or chemistry. Keep the stock battery for the start as it only needs to start the engine. Use a deep cycle or lithium for the house and connect your amp to it. Your battery kit should keep them isolated when floating so your start will always have juice to fire up the engine. If you have short runs back home, you'll need an on-board marine charger to keep the batteries fully charged and maintained when sitting. Noco makes good marine chargers.

I have a Noco GB40 booster pack too. I keep it in the truck for the winter if needed, and in the boat for the summer if needed. With the dual battery system, I've never had an issue though as the start battery is always full.
I agree with everything u said. I have the Noco booster pack. Lithium is too expensive. I was thinking about a 31 Deep Cycle 98ah battery for the audio and other accessories. I think thats more than enuf especially if I add a sub and another amp. I already have the O/B Noco 2 bank 10 amp charger. Should I go with another Interstate battery? SRM-31 to be exact, or should I go with a diff brand?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Lithium is too expensive.
Depends on your needs. If you plan to keep boating for years the lithium will be more economical over a long period.
I was thinking about a 31 Deep Cycle 98ah battery for the audio and other accessories. I think thats more than enuf especially if I add a sub and another amp. I already have the O/B Noco 2 bank 10 amp charger. Should I go with another Interstate battery? SRM-31 to be exact, or should I go with a diff brand?
Brand choice doesn't matter except for performance...you can buy any brand/type you wish and mix/match how you like. The Noco charger will handle them regardless.

As for the SRM-31 you mention, I just looked and it's a flooded battery not AGM so you can only run it down to 70% charge if you want it to last. The more expensive AGM batteries will last the same to lower discharge levels, or last longer to the same discharge. If you run the flooded down to 50% you can expect to replace it every 2 years or so depending on use. An AGM should last 4 years or so, under the same conditions, but both can vary widely depending on your usage patterns, battery construction, etc.

Vehicle batteries last longer as they typically don't get discharged past 95% and experience little vibration. Boat batteries receive much more vibration and much lower discharge levels which is why "marine" rated batteries are made with thicker battery walls, thicker plates, are sealed so they don't leak, and can handle deeper discharge levels.

If you don't crank up your stereo while floating then the SRM-31 should get you years of service. If you like to crank it up from time to time, I think an AGM would be the better choice.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm also running Dual Batteries (Blue Seas) and still using the OEM (4+ years) I just Walmarted a Marine Grade battery as the number 2. All has been good for over 4 years and lots of use. Oh and one more thing, I added a dual voltage meter and switch to my dash with dedicated leads direct to the batteries. That saved my bacon once. Somehow the circuit breaker on the house battery got thrown and the battery was being depleted and not charged. It registered on the volt meter and I traced it quickly to the tripped circuit breaker. With out it I would not have known the house battery was dead until too late.

Attachments

Shatty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'm also running Dual Batteries (Blue Seas) and still using the OEM (4+ years) I just Walmarted a Marine Grade battery as the number 2. All has been good for over 4 years and lots of use. Oh and one more thing, I added a dual voltage meter and switch to my dash with dedicated leads direct to the batteries. That saved my bacon once. Somehow the circuit breaker on the house battery got thrown and the battery was being depleted and not charged. It registered on the volt meter and I traced it quickly to the tripped circuit breaker. With out it I would not have known the house battery was dead until too late.
Funny u mention this...I received my dual battery meters last week and the panel switches today. I will wire the amp, led bar, and etc to individual switches.

Shatty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Depends on your needs. If you plan to keep boating for years the lithium will be more economical over a long period.

Brand choice doesn't matter except for performance...you can buy any brand/type you wish and mix/match how you like. The Noco charger will handle them regardless.

As for the SRM-31 you mention, I just looked and it's a flooded battery not AGM so you can only run it down to 70% charge if you want it to last. The more expensive AGM batteries will last the same to lower discharge levels, or last longer to the same discharge. If you run the flooded down to 50% you can expect to replace it every 2 years or so depending on use. An AGM should last 4 years or so, under the same conditions, but both can vary widely depending on your usage patterns, battery construction, etc.

Vehicle batteries last longer as they typically don't get discharged past 95% and experience little vibration. Boat batteries receive much more vibration and much lower discharge levels which is why "marine" rated batteries are made with thicker battery walls, thicker plates, are sealed so they don't leak, and can handle deeper discharge levels.

If you don't crank up your stereo while floating then the SRM-31 should get you years of service. If you like to crank it up from time to time, I think an AGM would be the better choice.
But doesnt it being a Deep Cycle mean that it can be discharged lower than a starter battery?

Edit: Nevermind....I looked it up. Deep cycles mean more cycles of discharging and recharging

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I went with this one. So far so good - running 1100 watts of amp through it XS Power XP3000
@Shatty This one is a good 12v AGM battery and looks to be cheaper too.
But doesnt it being a Deep Cycle mean that it can be discharged lower than a starter battery?
Yes, deep cycle refers to how much or how "deep" the discharge level can go with mimimal harm. However, how deep depends on the battery design. Generally a starter battery should only be discharged 5-10%, a flooded deep cycle 25%, and an AGM deep cycle 50%. Discharging lower than that causes sulfation which leads to degradation and eventually failure to hold a charge.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All AGM Batteries are not created equal. There Lead-Calcium/Thick Plate and TPPL/Thin Plate Pure Lead, I believe also there are AGM Gel and couple of more AGM technologies around. Before buying an AGM and spending the extra money, research which type of AGM battery it is and its specific benefits for the specific battery, many are all over the place. The TPPL are better and can be run down to 80% and have more charging cycles, but a bit more expensive. I use Northstar AGM TPPL for my house. Paid $349 for it last March. Seems battery prices are going up.

AGM Thin Plate (northstarbattery.com)

Here is also some good info.

Shatty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Noticed the one you have posted says 6 volts?? You need 12v.

I went with this one. So far so good - running 1100 watts of amp through it XS Power XP3000
Oh my God you are right. I literally just picked it up from a friend of mine who has an account with interstate. It looks like I’m returning it. Shit. I was actually thinking about getting rid of the starter battery and just using this one and not doing a dual battery set up because this thing has big cap. Oh well. On to others.

Shatty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I’m so tired of looking at batteries I’ll just order the one mentioned above

Shatty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I just went to the interstate distributor close to me and they have a 31 AGM but it’s the same price as the xs3000 but it’s only 100 amp and the xs3000 is 120. So I’m gunna go with the xs