• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What caused these scratches?!?! This look bad!

Jazco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Yikes! So I bought a brand new Yamaha jet boat (222 FSH) in January and we have used it almost every weekend. I recently looked under the boat and discovered all these scratches. I cannot think if I had looked under there before but I would think I would have noticed. I'm extremely concerned that the dealer will not cover this under warranty but I'm 90% sure I didn't strike anything that caused this! I hope somebody out there can help me find out what is going on! I will take it to the dealer soon but they said on the phone it probably wont be covered!
  • The scratches are very strait and consistently parallel to each other and some to the fiberglass!
  • I frequent sand bars in northeast Florida. I often use two anchors to hold the boat and sometimes it gets on the sand where we then push it off into deeper water as the tide goes out. I wouldn't think this would cause too much harm other than some wear from the sand, certainly not long scratches running half way down the hull...\
  • I've been on top of sand bars in shallow water but at very slow speeds. Again, just sand so no way it caused these deep scratches.
  • I once hit some mud with some speed. It was in an area where oyster bars are everywhere. I didn't hear nasty oyster bar scratching sounds, just felt like mud. I've googled pictures of oyster bar damage and none of them look like what I have here. Oysters would almost certainly make bigger gouges and would not be straight because they break off and crush.
  • My bunk boards have a voluntary recall by the trailer company. The dealer would not honor this but it's only supposed to be a very uncommon issue with the chines. I looked at the bunks they look alright however it does appear the chines have landed on them and slid off a time of two. Still these scratches are all over the hull and I cant see how the bunks would cause this.
  • I think this could have happened during shipping and loading. I'm not sure what all goes into it, but it looks like the hull was drug across concrete or asphalt. The problem is I feel like I would have noticed that since I've been using the boat all the time since January.
  • Could it be a manufacturing issue? I guess. This boat has had lots of quality issues.

Attachments

• 20240907_154316.jpg
    20240907_154316.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
  • 20240907_154450.jpg
    20240907_154450.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • 20240907_154454.jpg
    20240907_154454.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 80
  • 20240907_154456.jpg
    20240907_154456.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • 20240907_154458.jpg
    20240907_154458.jpg
    1,019 KB · Views: 78
  • 20240907_154718.jpg
    20240907_154718.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
  • 20240907_154749.jpg
    20240907_154749.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
1726021676952.png

That is from beaching ,pretty common, do you anchor with the back of the boat toward shore.
those scratches doo like like they are from oysters I could not believe how oysters can cut into the hull like a knife

Its all most likely from beaching. The centerline has sanded off all the gelcoat.
Get a keelguard for sure
Sand has rocks in it too so the scratches could be from that or from your bunks if they have dirt in them

Its all most likely from beaching. The centerline has sanded off all the gelcoat.
Get a keelguard for sure
Sand has rocks in it too so the scratches could be from that or from your bunks if they have dirt in them
Two things I should have mentioned. Where we go, we do exactly the same as thousands of other boats and I've never seen anyone have the issue I have. I also had a boat for 12 years and used it more, around the same sandbars and oyster beds, never had this issue.

Get a keelguard for sure
That is the back of his boat not the front. There is no keel guard for that area that I know of.
I though the same thing until I realized the picture shows the back of the hull not the front , if he does a search he will probably find many pictures that show the same damage to the gelcoat from beaching .

I just realized it was the stern , i anchor stern towards the beach and i monitor the depth as the tide goes out. This could easily happen if i didn't move the boat with the tide. Sand. Even fine sand will do this

That's from taking the boat in shallow water and dragging on the bottom. Hopefully you don't leave it in the water you have exposed fiberglass get a quote if its very expensive call your insurance company. My guess thousands for professional, repair stay in 3 ft of water and deal with the crabs biting your feet and stepping on shells or keep paying for seasonal hull repair.

That is the back of his boat not the front. There is no keel guard for that area that I know of.
I though the same thing until I realized the picture shows the back of the hull not the front , if he does a search he will probably find many pictures that show the same damage to the gelcoat from beaching .
i've looked at thousands of hull damage pictures and have seen nothing even close that what I have.

Could someone have taken it out without you're knowledge? It could have been a soft bottom and you didn't notice it dragging over debri please keep us posted on the outcome. I have driven over sand bars and had one boat stuck in mud. No damage like that but the right mix of firm bottom and rough objects could easily do that.

You stated you hit mud at speed. Didn't you check the hull after that trip? Warranty is never going to cover that. Its self inflicted.
The OP never stated he hit mud at speed. That was another user (cambo) vs Jazco who is the OP.

The OP never stated he hit mud at speed. That was another user (cambo) vs Jazco who is the OP.
Read his complete first statement again

Read his complete first statement again
My mistake.. You are correct. your reply was right after Cambo said he got stuck in the mud. Thanks for the clarification

Perhaps, some of the scrapping of the hull is occurring during launching and recovery. Wherever it’s happening, you likely need deeper water. Other than the hull damage, hope you are enjoying your new boat.

Jim

Perhaps, some of the scrapping of the hull is occurring during launching and recovery. Wherever it’s happening, you likely need deeper water. Other than the hull damage, hope you are enjoying your new boat.

Jim
Thanks but I kind of doubt that. Every ramp I use is sufficient to launch a boat that size.

This is not a manufacturing issue, if it was you would have seen it when you got your boat, who buys an expensive boat and doesn't look it over.
You stated you went over sand slowly and through mud at speed. What do you think there isnt rocks or sharp objects embedded in the sand or mud that can do that damage.

Back