• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What cylindrical/rectangular ballast bags fit on '18 212x transom deck, and swim decks separately?

topherbd16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I like the idea of having the option for full bags on rear decks at 400, 800 or 1200 lbs pending on which one(s) I use and number of people on board.

What is the largest cylindrical or rectangular bag(s) you have fit on your transom deck and swim deck of your 212? Looking at these shapes for easy fill and I can use them in my friends older Chapparal on floor so Gantlin/Yamaha custom bag is not ideal for my situation .

A rectangular bag that is 24" wide will hang off the transom deck and I think a no go, but if it's 24" diameter, it can move forward a bit towards the transom seat backs and the portion sitting on the deck should only need 12" (I'm guessing here) of width footprint centered on the deck. I will tie it up so it doesn't roll off... or would it even move that easily? Not sure a 500+ lb. cylindrical soft bag will roll that easy, but I've seen crazier things happen.

I want to ensure I have plenty of weight when less people are on the boat.

Current setup:
  • 212x stock ballast, surf side tank full, other empty, ski locker 50%
  • 400 lbs. of sand I can move wherever (25~30 lbs. increments)... 300 lbs surfside transom deck, 100 at bow
  • Wakebooster
  • 5 adults sitting in bow area, 3 on surfside.
The above gave me a great wave over the weekend. Plenty of ropeless fun to work on my technique.

Wanting to add more ballast option for when I have less people:
  • Adding 400lb for bottom swim deck 16x16x40 rectangular maybe
  • and 400+ (cylindrical 20x20x50 ~525lbs or 24x24x50 ~800lbs or maybe a rectangle, many options)
Crazy? Stupid?

What I do is fill my transom bag full and alter weight with my internal ballast due to how many people are on the boat.

What I do is fill my transom bag full and alter weight with my internal ballast due to how many people are on the boat.
Yes, agree. What bag are you using?
My wife just mentioned she’d like a roll up float mat on the back as well. A cylindrical or rectangular bag will allow this as the mat can sit symmetrically on top. The custom bag not so much.

About $100. I've 2 of these for almost a decade. They have straps and you can easily use rope...I use a ratchet strap, to keep from rolling off. Straight Line Big Bag 800 Ballast Bag (800 lbs)
I’m definitely looking at these as an option. Rectangular is nice to not have to ratchet after setup, but I’m measuring and seeing why these would fit.
You put the big bag on the lower swim deck too?

I’m definitely looking at these as an option. Rectangular is nice to not have to ratchet after setup, but I’m measuring and seeing why these would fit.
You put the big bag on the lower swim deck too?
Yes. They fit nicely angled on swim deck to surfside. They also fit in ski locker. There is a rectangular 800 lb also that can sit on seat or in ski locker. It's similar size to the big bag but is longer and doesn't have integrated straps

I’m going with the 1000 lb sumo for top transom deck, 50x22x22” are the dims given on their sight... which equates to less than 1000 lbs, but I know they don’t keep a perfect rectangular shape. Going to make my own 4” wide nylon straps. Yes, that’s very wide, but will really reduce the pressure on the bag and reduce wear and tear, I hope. Also, with the bottom being flat I’ll be surprised if straps are even needed, but I’d sure feel stupid if I accelerated and this fell off the back AND hit my surfer!

Room for more on the swim deck if I feel more is necessary, but 1k bag plus stock ballast on surf side and 300 lbs of sand on surf side should work well. More fun trial and error ahead.

Back