• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What do you do if you break down on a long distance trip?

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have an older Ford Expedition, 2003, and I plan on driving it as long as I can, right now it is a great truck.

I am planning a trip that is about 8 hours away and having an older truck got me thinking, what do you do if you break down a long ways from home with a boat?

Also, what if it is a blown engine or some such thing that will take a week or longer to repair, can't leave your boat there.

Do they tow the trailer with the boat?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
check with your boat insurance most will cover towing the boat and the tow vehicle to avoid leaving them on the side of the road and having the boat stolen, how far or what part you are responsible for depends on the company and polocy

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
so the entire setup can be towed, its just a matter of who pays?

Do they detach the tow vehicle, tow it separately and then just tow the boat normally?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
usually they load the vehicle on a flat bed and tow the boat behind it if the trailer is ok

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks, definitely a good idea to figure this out with my insurance company before the trip.....

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I concur with @Cobra Jet Steering LLC and at that point you rent a ford f150 which several rental car companies now offer and you finish your tow or your trip. I know your not supposed to tow with a rental car but the three I have rented in the last 6 months all had towing kits on them you just needed the hitch.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've seen a flatbed tow truck with the tow vehicle on the bed and the boat hooked up to the tow trucks trailer hitch before.

When I do, I stop and say a prayer for that guy because I just know he is getting an earful of "I thought you said" or "I told you so" ;)

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Renting some sort of tow vehicle to get the boat home would be ideal. I know uhaul and such advertises those pickups but I believe they charge milage on top of the daily fee, plus one way rentals could be a problem.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Renting some sort of tow vehicle to get the boat home would be ideal. I know uhaul and such advertises those pickups but I believe they charge milage on top of the daily fee, plus one way rentals could be a problem.
Avis and Budget both rent f150's and I think Alamo rents Dodge Ram 1500's now. I have received f150's from budget a few times now when they didn't have the car i had reserved on some business trips.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Avis and Budget both rent f150's and I think Alamo rents Dodge Ram 1500's now. I have received f150's from budget a few times now when they didn't have the car i had reserved on some business trips.
that would be prefect, I'll keep those in mind if I get stuck....

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm doing a lot of driving now with my new job and I was concerned about breakdowns especially being several hours from home so we signed up for AAA. It was only about $150 for the year for me and my wife but to have piece of mind for a dead battery, flat tire, out of gas, keys locked in, etc that I can't easily fix and knowing they're just a phone call away. I "think" for an additiaonl charge they'll cover recreational vehicles as well (RV, motorcycles, boat trailers, etc)

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I rented a pickup from Uhaul to pull the boat around town once. No issues, and was pretty inexpensive (returned to same location).

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat US offers towing assistance specifically for your towed boat. I have heard comments that AAA often has issues dealing with the trailer and that Boat US never does.

I have both.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Enterprise now rents out trucks through their commercial branches. I rented a Ram 2500 with a Cummins Diesel today for 85 dollars for the day good for 420 miles. The Enterprise closest to my house does them for 60 dollars a day with unlimited mileage. Unfortunately they were all booked when I was trying to get one. https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/truckrental/en_US.html

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure @Ronnie has a picture of his rig on the back of a flatbed after some unfortunate towing troubles.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bill D , wow this brings back some memories and chills. Here is the link to my thread from that trip.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/equipment-failures-and-getting-home-on-a-flat-bed-tow-truck.7300/

I have Aaa insurance and roadside assistance, gold/platinum member for over a decade/almost two. All of my cars are covered with them as well as my home and we have life insurance with them. My boat is covered by boat u.s. And I subscribe to their roadside/tow boat service as well.

Aaa will tow your vehicle how far depends on the level of service you have but I believe the minimum is 50 miles per incident up to 3 times per year and they have options for up to 500 miles. You can no longer have them tow you 50, stop, call them back to tow you another 50 in the same day, etc., until you reach your mileage limit for the year. They do not offer any on water towing assistance.

Side bar: you can rent a vehicle with a tow hitch but I would look for a company that permits towing with their vehicles to preclude any problems if Murphy's law comes into play. The worst possible outcome being that insurance won't cover so you are out of pocket for all costs. There is a member here who had his tow vechule breakdown on the way home from a distant boating vacation, he ended up unexpectedly buying a new tow vehicle ($40k+). One other option I would consider is putting out a call for help here. If someone here can't get you home maybe they could help you store the boat while you sort out the problems with your tow vehicle.

Boat u.s./tow boat u.s is very much like aaa where roadside and on water assistance is concerned, on paper anyway. Two bad experiences with aaa have taught me to call them when only my road going vehicle is involved. If I have a boat or waverunners in tow, I call boat u.s.

First, I had two flat tires on my boat trailer. The aaa rep spent over an hour looking for the correct tow truck to get my boat home. I ended up calling tow boat u.s.who sent a mobile vehicle repair truck out to put new tires on my trailer (at $100 each for some really old tires but it was late and I really didn't have to do anything but wait and watch).

Second, when My trailer separated from the tow vehicle on the freeway (l put the hitch locking pin behind the tongue instead of through it).

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59119&hilit=Disaster&start=15

When I described the problem to aaa and told them all I needed was a floor jack the rep told me that they did not want to take on any liability in such a situation so they didn't send anyone out nor would they refer me to a local tow truck company. Boat u.s. Sent out a tow truck and the guy simply broke out a floor jack to lift the front of the trailer off the ground and back onto the correctly installed tow ball/tongue/hitch. Aaa almost lost me as a customer on that one, I had my family with me on the side of the freeway. I tipped him $20, no other costs were involved.

When the brake caliper on my boat trailer came off its mount, it caused a horrible vibration and I couldn't take the wheel off to remove the caliper which was rotating freely on the rotor so I called boat u.s. Who sent out a flat bed for the boat and trailer. If you are ever in this situation I suggest that you lower the tower, the driver gave me the option but only after the boat/trailer were high up on the flatbed and he didn't have a ladder so I passed. I regretted doing so by the first overpass. Apparently the overpasses have to be at least 14' high, my boat's tower seemed to clear some overpasses by 6" or less, it was a stressful and long 20 mile trip home. When I got home the driver handed me a bill for $400ish but tore it up once he verified I was a tow boat u.s. Member. I tipped him $40 (it's all I had at the time), like before no other costs were involved.

Lesson learned, if you are a trailer boater be ultra prepared for the what if moments and take really good care of your tow vehicle(s) and trailer(s).

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would definitely check UHaul, too, they have some of the most liberal policies on towing. You would not need to worry about liability and their larger trucks tow boats like yours effortlessly. I have done that a few times back when with some project boats.

--

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We bought a small floor jack and carry it in the back of the truck each time we tow just in case

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We bought a small floor jack and carry it in the back of the truck each time we tow just in case
We do the same but use a bottle jack. I also bought a four-way lug wrench as our car lug nut wrenches will not fit.