• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What do you use to store your Yamaha jet boat?

Falcon_Boater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi everyone!

The wife and I are looking to purchase a Yamaha jet boat. We're leaning toward a 19 footer but a 21 is still a possibility as well. We'll probably get one with a tower.

We don't have room in our garage to store the boat over the winter but I do have additional parking behind our house. I'd like to have some sort of covered structure in which to store the boat over the winter to protect it from the elements. I started looking at pre-fabricated structures offered at Costco, Home Depot, Amazon, etc and found quite a few that had large enough interiors and looked sturdy enough to handle our winters. However, I couldn't find any that I was confident had a door opening that was tall enough and/or wide enough to accommodate one of the tower equipped Yamahas.

We live in the Seattle area so our winters are fairly mild. We get a lot of rain in the winter, occasional snow (3-4" accumulation is our normal max but we can get up to a foot every 10 years or so), and a few wind storms every year with gusts up to 70 or 80 mph tops.

There are several canopy style structures that I found that are probably large enough for our boat but I'm not confident that they'd last through our winter.

Anyone else out there had any experience with canopy structures that you think might survive 3 or 4 seasons and protect our boat? Or better yet, has anyone found a pre-fabricated metal, vinyl or wood building that has doors large enough to get an AR192 or AR210 inside? I'd like to keep the costs down under $5K if possible.

Thank you!

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Ha @Bruce beat me to the punch!

Falcon_Boater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the links!

After consideration I think a canopy style shelter as discussed in those links might be the way to go. They're not too expensive so even if it can't stand up to our winter season it's not a big loss.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mine won't fit in the garage either, and normally I just keep it on a lift at our family cabin during the season, but I needed some place to park it when I did bring it home so I built 2 pads for the tires to sit on. Might be a good idea if you are putting it in the yard that sees as much rain as Seattle gets. It wasn't complicated, but it was a ton of work by myself. Probably only cost me about $200, but I did use a bunch of landscaping rock that I needed to get rid of for the base so that I didn't need to buy as much class-2. I used 4' pieces of rebar driven through the landscape timbers at opposing angles to hopefully prevent the beams from rising up and drifting outward. If you find a good shelter let us know. I would be interested in one myself.

Attachments

Last edited:

Falcon_Boater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the pads! From the pics it looks like you do some nice work. :winkingthumbsup"

My driveway actually wraps around to the back of my house and there's a large gravel lot back there - the previous owner was a road contractor so he would occasionally park some of his trucks and other equipment back there. It's possible that I may need to lay down a concrete pad on top of the gravel just to make it easier to hand-maneuver the boat in and out of whatever structure I end up getting but I'm hoping to avoid having to do that.

Right now I am leaning toward this canopy structure: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200471118_200471118

I'll let everyone know how it works out.