• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What exactly IS the proper oil level in these boats?

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After having my boat for a few years, I'm sure that through the several oil changes that I've added too much or too little at some point in time. Last year I miscalculated and overfilled the port engine a bit and got a little spatter on the oil filter. Not enough to replace it, but I removed "some" oil and the problem went away.

It seems like I have "enough" oil in each engine. However, I'm not really sure if it's a little low, or a little too much.

Should I check it on the water? What's the OPTIMUM level of oil on each dipstick, and what is the absolute best way to make sure that you're getting that reading in a consistent fashion each time?

The OCD me put a level across the exhaust manifold, adjusted the trailer down till it read level, then slowly tweaked till the oil just touched the bottom of the full circle.

Nose up, it reads a little low. At rest on the water the engines are nose down a bit so I'm not sure that is ideal either.

With all that said, if you're reasonably level and its leaning towards reading almost to the full mark, I'd say you're there.

check your manual for exact procedures but this is for my MR1 HO engines,
I would check it on the water to get a base line good reading and then check it in your driveway if you want to know what it will read there although make sure you note how high you have the jack up as it may effect the reading,

upload_2015-6-22_11-10-32.png

Checking warm on the water as recommended is the only way. Technically any reading using the approach above that is between the L and H mark is good, so there is a range. I try and keep in the middle. For me sitting at home on the trailer just like it came off vehicle is about 1/8" inch on dipstick and below the L mark equals mid way between L and H warmed up on the water. That's what I shoot for during oil changes and check on water and adjust from there.

Back