• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What I discovered on Columbus Day 2018

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
84 degree air temp, partly sunny, 87 degree water; with no one on the lake. Kids in school for storm day make up. So day date it was. Surfed and wakeboarded with my wife driving. Found a deserted cove. Also tested my self made/designed pipe booster. The booster seemed to work but needs some tweaking. Had a couple of beers too.

Lunch at the tiki bar (where is everyone?)
0E36B91D-7DC1-4951-BBDA-AF317321C04E.jpeg

Lake is getting low. Floating rock marker laying on the rocks.
C1741590-DF83-43FF-BAA5-14C9E63CCE98.jpeg

Not a bad wave for 400 lbs of ballast under seat and two people on board. Looks like the pipe booster will work pretty good with more ballast and some tweaking.
10F7019C-AEF7-4A8A-B736-1944AC40FD91.jpeg

What happened at the deserted cove ....

C51DBF06-ECC8-4CC4-8BCA-6F7D7126B57A.png

Thank you Columbus for discovering the new world and giving me a day off for my own discoveries.

We want to know more about the... "pipe booster" - and how it works!
(unless it is a pharmaceutical/a pill - then we know; or otherwise something that belongs in that "censored" pic above)

--

Thankfully I'm too young to need a pipe booster in the cove.

:)

I posted about my idea on the pipe booster on another thread. Just a 90 degree extended sweep 3in pvc electrical conduit fitting avaialbe at big box hardware stores mounted to 1/2 inch starboard. Slot cut in the starboard to mount on the tie down. Vise/heat shaped piece of 3/4 pex works great as the pin through the tie down with a hole for a rention pin on that. Yesterday was my second test and as @swatski puts it the devil is in the details. My first test showed lots of opportunity and I got pretty close with my second go. When I was surfing behind it I could see some room for improvement in the exit angle.

Basically this is the new Yami device but using a long sweep pipe instead of just a curved plate. I have 10 bucks invested so far. I looks a bit rough as it is a prototype but once I have it dialed in and cleaned up I will post photos.

I posted about my idea on the pipe booster on another thread. Just a 90 degree extended sweep 3in pvc electrical conduit fitting avaialbe at big box hardware stores mounted to 1/2 inch starboard. Slot cut in the starboard to mount on the tie down. Vise/heat shaped piece of 3/4 pex works great as the pin through the tie down with a hole for a rention pin on that. Yesterday was my second test and as @swatski puts it the devil is in the details. My first test showed lots of opportunity and I got pretty close with my second go. When I was surfing behind it I could see some room for improvement in the exit angle.

Basically this is the new Yami device but using a long sweep pipe instead of just a curved plate. I have 10 bucks invested so far. I looks a bit rough as it is a prototype but once I have it dialed in and cleaned up I will post photos.
I'll bring the beer if you wanna make a second one :)

Believe we are gonna camp at dreher island state park over memorial day, will be little more busy then your day out

84 degree air temp, partly sunny, 87 degree water; with no one on the lake. Kids in school for storm day make up. So day date it was. Surfed and wakeboarded with my wife driving. Found a deserted cove.

What happened at the deserted cove ....

View attachment 84149

Thank you Columbus for discovering the new world and giving me a day off for my own discoveries.
Hopefully your boating opportunities do not diminish around June, because of your recent discoveries.;)

Hopefully your boating opportunities do not diminish around June, because of your recent discoveries.;)

My youngest is a Freshman in High School so that would be quite the surprise.

My youngest is a Freshman in High School so that would be quite the surprise.
Boating with a newborn isn't that bad. Our littlest one was 6 weeks old on his first boat trip, and as been going out with us 2-3 times a month all summer.

Hardest part is finding a life vest that he didn't hate. The rest was just shade and breeze to keep him comfy. Actually enjoys riding around more than sitting and playing so far. Usually sleeps when the boat is moving.

Isn't that illegal? Or does it depend on the state?

I mean the part about towing without a spotter. Not the part about the cove.

Both are State dependent! Some States require an observer and some don't. Not sure about the wakeboarding!

Not usually. In MO you need an observer OR an approved mirror.
(A jet ski must be a three-seater though.)

"Every motorboat or PWC towing a person(s) on water skis, a wakeboard, or any other device other than a parasail must have either:

• A person on board, in addition to the operator, observing the towed person(s) at all times (preferably the observer is at least 12 years old) or…
  • An approved ski mirror that is at least three inches in height and eight inches in width, gives 180 degrees of vision behind the operator, and is designed as a ski mirror. The Missouri State Highway Patrol does not recognize the manufacturer’s mirrors on PWC as being sufficient for this purpose."

EDIT: I'm talking about the towing/spotter part, no idea if what they do in that cove is legal or not. But, that may also depend on the state you are in... :D

--

Not usually. In MO you need an observer OR an approved mirror.
(A jet ski must be a three-seater though.)

"Every motorboat or PWC towing a person(s) on water skis, a wakeboard, or any other device other than a parasail must have either:

• A person on board, in addition to the operator, observing the towed person(s) at all times (preferably the observer is at least 12 years old) or…
  • An approved ski mirror that is at least three inches in height and eight inches in width, gives 180 degrees of vision behind the operator, and is designed as a ski mirror. The Missouri State Highway Patrol does not recognize the manufacturer’s mirrors on PWC as being sufficient for this purpose."

EDIT: I'm talking about the towing/spotter part, no idea if what they do in that cove is legal or not. But, that may also depend on the state you are in... :D

--

SC requires a panoramic mirror or a spotter. We have a large panoramic mirror. As for the other not sure if legal or not but I always make sure no one is around as we are not into putting on a show. Sure helps a relationship to keep things interesting once and a while. Just go for it if your special someone will be into it.

Back