• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is flying a 737 really like?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
a buddy of mine sent me a cool link this morning of a video compilation of 737 flying. It contains a few of the sights I see doing my job routinely. Much beauty and challenging approaches to La Guardia NY, Washington's Regan, Seatac in Seattle, and more. Enjoy!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That was very cool!! Thanks for sharing @txav8r !! What was or is the toughest airport for you to take off and land??

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very cool! I like that last landing, it looked bumpy with a triple turn approach.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Murf'n'surf , the one with the two turns to the right and then the big turn to the left is the "expressway visual approach to runway 31" at New Yorks La Guardia.

@Jim Robeson , other than the runways being short and minimal room for error, all of our airports are plenty safe and routine. But short runways, high traffic congestion, and added inclement conditions, turn the heat up a tad, not to mention adding restricted airspace in close proximity. One of the arrivals in the video was the "river visual to runway 19" at Washington DC Washinton National (Regan) Airport. That arrival flys down the Potomac and makes a big ass turn at 300' to land on a short runway in a very busy and seriously restricted environment. Fun! When it's nightime and the weather is iffy, these are challenging. Plenty of other factors turn the heat up at other airports. But both of those are in the video. Enjoy!

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Great video. I've spent a lot of time watching videos like this on YouTube. Cool perspective.

Mel I think you need to take a Go Pro to work and stick it to the dashboard with a RAM mount to give us some more great videos!

Thanks for sharing.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@txav8r ... I do have to hand it to you pilot types and thanks for getting us to and from safely. I remember when we landed in Maui once there was such a strong cross wind I could swear we were coming in sideways and at the last minute the pilot corrected and BAM! we touched down. Everyone on board started clapping...loudly!!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do pilots still land planes every day? Are most planes guided to the runway by auto pilot?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have landed in Kahului on Maui many times when I was a 767 FOand it is bumpy often from about 7000' down to touchdown and big winds too. While it looks hair raising, it is pretty much a walk in the park for those of us that do this stuff. I'll take that kind of turbulence and those winds any day to fly that the rest of my career. But that won't be happening, I am probably going to be a 737 CA the rest of my career, if I want to stay off reserve and have a schedule.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Murf'n'surf , my fleet is not an auto land fleet. The airplane has the capability, but our airline bought a safer and more pilot controlled system. Other 737-800 operators bought a different system and can auto land. We have a HUD, heads up display, that gives us our flight director information, airspeed, altitude, critical altitudes, selected altitude, trends of both, course and heading, distances to fixes, horizon, angle of attack, and more. We fly the 737 to touchdown. The 777, 767, 757 all have auto land but those pilots also fly the airplane to touchdown when they so choose. We try to be proficient in not only our own pilot skills but also in managing the airplane in different phases of automation. Automation doesn't fly the airplane without the pilot setting it up correctly and managing it. The workload in our current airspace is heavy, and the less stick and rudder you have to do allows you to manage all the other aspects of the complex operation. I typically take off and fly the airplane to positive control airspace above FL180, 18,000 feet, then I engage the AFDS, auto flight director system. Enroute, the AFDS is keeping the aircraft on track and altitude, but these again are pilot selected and controlled. During the high traffic arrivals, it is common to leave the AFDS system engaged until the final approach fix and then hand flying the airplane to landing. But in very low visibility and ceilings, we may leave that on until we are close to our minimums on the approach, and that is commonly 200' AGL (above the ground), where we disengage the autopilot and land the aircraft. However in my fleet, because it is critically flown using the HUD, we are required to disengage the AFDS by 1000' AGL and land manually, when the weather is below CAT I minimums. CAT I minimums are commonly a 200' AGL decision altitude and 1/2 mile visibility or as low as 1800' RVR, runway visual range measured by a transmissometer (measures the distance a horizontal light can be seen). If the weather is below CAT I, and the runway, aircraft, and crew are legal (most always when required), then a CAT II or III approach is flown manually below 1000' to touchdown or go around using the HUD. CAT III typically allows us to fly down to 50' and the requirements are runway specific, but it is common that we need around 600' of horizontal visibility measured by RVR at the touchdown zone. On the 777/767/757, those aircraft are required to land using auto land which aligns the aircraft with the runway, follows the glidepath to touchdown and retards the throttles as it flares to touchdown. It is more automated but both of these are used in very low visibility and ceiling situation. CAT I weather and above, many pilots still fly the aircraft to landing. I have never been qualified on our Airbus fleet and do not know how their fleet is set up. And we just took delivery of our first 787. I know it is equipped with a HUD on both the CA (captain) and FO (first officer) sides of the cockpit, but I think it will be an auto land aircraft in the CAT II/III situations. Sorry for the long winded explanation, but I figured it would be both interesting and informative to you as well as answer your question.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@txav8r , I have always heard that pilots hate flying into and out of Chicago Midway airport because of the short runways and it's proximity to residential neighborhoods. Have you flown in and out of there? How do you rate it as far as ease of landing and taking off?

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jeazzzz, those landing through the low cloud and BANG, there's the runway certainly gives you my admiration :thumbsup:.
Thanks for the link and explanation, not a pilot myself but always been very interested and helps me understand what's going on when I do fly (Sunday, Virgin 747 heading for Florida!:D)......

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have flown into MDW in Chicago many times but not recently. It isn't short compared to some, but it does present its own set of challenges. While LGA (La Guardia) and DCA (Washington National-Regan) are about 7100, DCA has a runway that is only 5200' that we occasionally are forced to use, MDW (Midway) is 6400' and 6500', but SNA (John Wayne/Orange Co.), is short at 5700'. These are in our capability, but conditions change and they are not. On a nice sunny day without restrictive winds, any of these are fine. But...it is what it is. I intended to upload a shot of SFO through the HUD in a 737, I found in a google search...but due to copyright infringement, I was afraid to post it. But you can google 737 hud and a 4 images for HUD will load above all available links, the third image to the right is SFO looking through the HUD on a 737

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Here is a guy from Rockwell Collins, developer of the HGS, their HUD system, one of two we use. This link gives a video demonstration of it.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jeazzzz, those landing through the low cloud and BANG, there's the runway certainly gives you my admiration :thumbsup:.
Thanks for the link and explanation, not a pilot myself but always been very interested and helps me understand what's going on when I do fly (Sunday, Virgin 747 heading for Florida!:D)......
Welcome back!

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I love flying the expressway visual 31 into LGA and the river visual 19 into DCA. I friggin hate when weather is down in DCA and you have to fly the LDA 19 down to mins when it's so fricken close to P56. Throw in a strong crosswind and it's begging to violate pilots.

My favorite visual is the harbor visual 29 into Portland. Such a beautiful approach.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great video. I've spent a lot of time watching videos like this on YouTube. Cool perspective.

Mel I think you need to take a Go Pro to work and stick it to the dashboard with a RAM mount to give us some more great videos!

Thanks for sharing.
Sadly it's not legal and there's one jerkoff reporter that reported a bunch of pilots to the FAA for what he thought was illegal use of video and photography in the cockpit that was posted on the net.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is a question for you pilots...if you could fly any vintage "fighter" plane, which one would it be?? I'm talking prop planes like the P-51, the Corsair...those kinds of planes.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
image.jpg

P-38 for sure. The twin tailed lightning!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mel the time lapse footage made me laugh at the artificial feel of speed... Nice video.