• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is flying a 737 really like?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The HUD you guys are using is very similar to what we attach to our goggles when flying at night. I can see how it is very useful for commerical pilots but I know a lot of Blackhawk pilots don't like it. We are able to dim it down to be invisible since we are "required" to wear it. Flying a helicopter it seems as if obstacles come out of no where especially in Afghanistan. Some pilots focus so much on the display and fail scan which can become very dangerous quickly. Like mentioned above about having these tools are awesome but the operator must know when to use them/manage them.
@Helipilot11 , I agree, any tool is only appropriate if used correctly. Plenty of guys resist using the HUD when they first check out on the 737. It is unfamiliar to them and gives clutter as you describe when not used correctly. I myself am a HUD cripple. It gives so much good info, that flying without it is just a WAG comparatively speaking. It is designed to give early warning tail strike info as well as prevent heads down periods when flying a CAT III ILS to minimums. That is done with 600 feet horizontal visibility and no ceiling requirement at 145kts +/- in a -800. So not using the HUD for take offs and landings is not an option, but it is pretty easy to look past in our work.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
your comment reminds me of a funny too! I had a boss back in the day when I flew corporate before AA, that used to be a T-38 IP himself. One day while flying along, he related to me that he had a student when he was an IP, that said to him while skimming the clouds, "wow, flying this close to the clouds really gives you the illusion of speed." He said to the student, "it is NO illusion asshole, your doing 500 knots! I still laugh when I think about that.

@txav8r ... I'm no pilot but I just laughed out loud at that!! Very funny!!