• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is the little hex screw next to the fuel cap?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anybody know what the piece of stainless hardware with the hex wrench slot is for (as seen here on my AR192)? Fuel tank vent?

20150620_1529441.jpg

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, it is your fuel tank vent.

Buckeye Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
And if you unscrew it you can access the screen for the vent. Not a bad idea to check it every once in a while to make sure nothing is stuck in there blocking it.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's where the jet fuel goes in at. ...... ;)

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:)Its a secret RPM limiter screw! Only works on the port engine.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
:)Its a secret RPM limiter screw! Only works on the port engine.
We actually had a similar thing in the F-16. It is called the 'Max Power' switch and removes all limitations from the engine - you get it all at any cost! Nice red switch with a guarded cover, combat use only, potentially destroys a one million dollar engine... needless to say I never touched it, never touch the red guarded switches!!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's where the jet fuel goes in at. ...... ;)
I know a place I could probably pick up some JP-8. I wonder how are engines would run on that...

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We actually had a similar thing in the F-16. It is called the 'Max Power' switch and removes all limitations from the engine - you get it all at any cost! Nice red switch with a guarded cover, combat use only, potentially destroys a one million dollar engine... needless to say I never touched it, never touch the red guarded switches!!
But didn't you ever get the need, the need for speed?

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry but poor Goose is gone. May he RIP.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
"What was the name of that truck driving school? Truckmasters I think it was... I might need that number."

"No he was inverted, man, really it was a great move."

"There's two Os in Goose boys."

"Show me the way home Honey..."

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
"What was the name of that truck driving school? Truckmasters I think it was... I might need that number."

"No he was inverted, man, really it was a great move."

"There's two Os in Goose boys."

"Show me the way home Honey..."
"Mavericks supersonic...ill be there in 30 secs". Greatest movie ever!!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's funny that you guys bring up Top Gun, because I fully intend on naming my boat Ghostrider. I figure jet airplane, jet boat, it makes perfect sense. I think most people won't get it, but the ones who do will think it's awesome.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's funny that you guys bring up Top Gun, because I fully intend on naming my boat Ghostrider. I figure jet airplane, jet boat, it makes perfect sense. I think most people won't get it, but the ones who do will think it's awesome.
Isnt Ghostrider a Nick Cage movie? I think thats what people would think.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah there is that crap, but it also happens to be the name of Tom Cruises F-14. All the cool kids will know wazzup.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah there is that crap, but it also happens to be the name of Tom Cruises F-14. All the cool kids will know wazzup.[/QUOTE

Im not sure. Tom's callsign was Maverick. But in the movie, the tower does say, "negative ghostrider, the pattern is full".
Was the F14 named Ghostrider? And no one would talk to the tower with their airplane name. Their flight would have a callsign based on their squadron. But the name, Ghostridrer, sounds good for a boat.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I flew T-38's in 86 and the jet was called a, "Talon", but I think we went by a, "Rake", callsign. I was, "Opec", when I flew KC-10's.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ghostrider is the Squadron's call sign in Top Gun. They are all Ghostrider XXX (some number). I do not know if this is the standard in the Navy.

In the Air Force, your call sign is one of a 'bank' of call signs assigned to your squadron. I have had Sting, Mojo, Chevy, Lynx, and Madcat assigned to me in my flying career. I have flown with a lot more but didn't 'own' them temporarily. Usually you have to buy your call sign at an auction which is really just a drunk fundraiser for the squadron. The cheapest dude in the squadron gets the WORST call sign available. In the AOR you get call sign assigned by the daily ATO (Air Tasking Order) 'Battle Plan' and the same goes for exercises. Usually your squadron will take a handful of your call signs along with for use in these locations. The Squadron CC, DO, and Weapons Officers call signs always seem to travel with us.

I have never flown an AF jet that was referred to by its 'official name' except the T-37 Tweet. The F-16 is the Viper (not Fighting Falcon) and the T-38 is the 38 or White Rocket (never the Talon).
Other examples are...
B-1 Bone (not Lancer)
B-2 Stealth Bomber (not Spirit)
A-10 Warthog or Hog (not Thunderbolt II)
F-15E Mudhen (occasionally Strike Eagle)
F-35 Joint Strike Fighter or JSF (not Lightning II)

The exceptions...
F-15 Eagle
F-22 Raptor
Pure Air-to-air guys are too cool to have a catchy nickname - prima donnas!!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think it is a good boat name but I am guessing 97% of folks will have no clue, even after you attempt the explanation!

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ghostrider is the Squadron's call sign in Top Gun. They are all Ghostrider XXX (some number). I do not know if this is the standard in the Navy.

In the Air Force, your call sign is one of a 'bank' of call signs assigned to your squadron. I have had Sting, Mojo, Chevy, Lynx, and Madcat assigned to me in my flying career. I have flown with a lot more but didn't 'own' them temporarily. Usually you have to buy your call sign at an auction which is really just a drunk fundraiser for the squadron. The cheapest dude in the squadron gets the WORST call sign available. In the AOR you get call sign assigned by the daily ATO (Air Tasking Order) 'Battle Plan' and the same goes for exercises. Usually your squadron will take a handful of your call signs along with for use in these locations. The Squadron CC, DO, and Weapons Officers call signs always seem to travel with us.

I have never flown an AF jet that was referred to by its 'official name' except the T-37 Tweet. The F-16 is the Viper (not Fighting Falcon) and the T-38 is the 38 or White Rocket (never the Talon).
Other examples are...
B-1 Bone (not Lancer)
B-2 Stealth Bomber (not Spirit)
A-10 Warthog or Hog (not Thunderbolt II)
F-15E Mudhen (occasionally Strike Eagle)
F-35 Joint Strike Fighter or JSF (not Lightning II)

The exceptions...
F-15 Eagle
F-22 Raptor
Pure Air-to-air guys are too cool to have a catchy nickname - prima donnas!!
Nice info Jaws. I did some Desert Storm as a KC-10 guy. You tank behind us?

Top Bottom