• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is the "right" tower speaker/amp upgrade

Bodhi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an '18 Yamaha AR240 and want to add tower speakers. However, I want to make sure I do it "right" from the jump (i.e. no distortion at high volume).

Can anyone confirm what type of amp (assuming 600 watt, 4-channel at minimum) is required for single barrel speakers or double barrel speakers?

Obviously, I would gladly welcome any and all speaker and/or amp recommendations.

I do not plan to make any changes to the factory in-boat speakers at this time.

THANK YOU!

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same boat. I thought the factory speakers were ok until my first ride on the boat. Replace those things before going to the tower. As far as amp for your tower speakers I’ve done a ton of research and the only amp that doesn’t have mixed reviews is JL audio. If you wanna go cheaper a lot of ppl go with clarion or Rockville but it’s hit or miss.

Bodhi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, Marvin; appreciate the detail. Have you added an amp and tower speakers to your boat, or only replace the factory speakers? If so, what amp and tower speakers did you go with?

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I replaced my cabin speakers with 6 kickers and no amp. So far anyway. I boat in salt water and thing tend not to last so. Until I need more I’m keeping it to the minimum. If I were to add I was looking at the clarion amp for $100 with kicker 6.5 tower speakers for $300. I spoke with some ppl that had this setup and it had lasted 6 years so far. If you don’t mind dropping over a grand in speakers then go JL Audio everything

Bodhi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perfect! Really appreciate the insight.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was able to compare JL tower speakers to a pair of Wetsounds Rev 10's and I think the rev 10's were way better. More expensive probably but do it once do it right IMO

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was back and forth on which towers to get for quite sometime. The very best are the jl m880 or ws rev 10. Keep in mind comparing a jl m 880 to a mx 770 is as night and day as comparing a ws rev 10 to a ws icon 8. The ws rev 10s are loud with almost too much bass and mid bass up close but overall sound is slightly distorted due to the hcld. That said the hcld really throws that sound far but will sound a bit off missing some mid and low bass at distance because of the way the hcld over powers at distance. The jl m880 is clean and crisp throughout the sound spectum but wont be nearly as loud at the end of an 80ft line. So for wakeboarding the ws rev 10 is the winner IMO. As for everything else my opinion is the JL M880 is the winner IMO. This is all assuming properly powered.

Each has their own opinion and both choices are very good. I landed on the m880s but could easily recommend the rev 10s depending on use case and persons desire. Just remember that a open boat with engines humming and pulling a rider is far less than an ideal sound stage.

Congrats and enjoy.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One more option check out Exile Audio.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the JLM880s because I don't wakeboard, and really only got an AR240 for the tower to hang speakers on...that said, I had some 8" HLCD towers on my last Yamaha, they were loud and did the trick, but my research pointed me to the JLM880s since I don't need to project at long distances, and think the HLCDs can be a tad bright, but if you need to throw the sound then get the WS Revs, if you don't need to project as far and want cleaner sound go JLs with 200 rms each and you will be happy.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha offers a JL Slampak tower kit with a pair of MX770's and amp.
Product Details
I had my dealer install this and the interior audio Slampak.
Product Details

The systems were combined so that the 4 interior speakers and tower speakers all ran off the 6 channel amp and sub of the bridged 200w amp with volume control. It was a pretty slick system and sounded great. I've since added 2 more cockpit speakers, a third JL 4 channel amp, and a second pair of MX770's to the tower and its even better.

As @Mainah mentioned previously as far as the tower speaker are concerned the JL MX770's are clear sounding but will lack the bass of the M880's. But with 4 on the tower with separate volume control you have no problem hearing it behind the boat.