• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What jet drive parts to replace

blackfx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Hello, hoping for some help in choosing parts to buy. I have a 2014 SX192 with around 170 hours that I've had since November. Previously it was kept in salt water and had tons of barnacles on all the aluminum parts when I got it. I've had it out 5 times now all in relatively rough water and with 4-6 adults and full tank. I didn't keep track but let's say it runs at 25 MPH (GPS) at 6,500 RPM. I'm guessing that's because of how rough all the surfaces of the drive are causing the water to not flow smoothly. I never got around to cleaning the surfaces yet aside from chipping off20210807_124837.jpg20210807_132339.jpg20210807_132403.jpg20210807_132444.jpg20210807_132500.jpg20210807_132511.jpg20210807_134639.jpg20210807_135006.jpg20210807_135021.jpg20210807_135027.jpg20210807_135120.jpg20210807_135215.jpg the barnacles. Last weekend I was out and near the end of the day I heard a rattling sound for about 10 seconds while cruising in deep water. Shortly after the boat would only go 10 MPH max at 6,000 RPM. There were no weeds or other obstruction. I thought something got sucked up and scratched the wear ring so water was getting by. I pulled the pump but the impeller and wear ring look OK with clearances of about .014". The second impeller housing has some scraping on one side. Any ideas why the drop in speed all of a sudden? I realize that all the parts should be replaced because they're pitted so bad, the worst being the piece that the clean out plug sits in with pitting up to 1/4" deep but they we're already like that so that can't be the reason for the lack of speed.
After figuring out this immediate issue then I'll look into replacing the grate, ride plate, transom plate, 2 impeller housings and pump. Can someone tell me what the part that the clean out plug sits in is called? I can't find it in the drawings. Is it hard to remove?
Any suggestions on aftermarket parts to buy instead of replacing them with stock parts to improve performance would be appreciated. Would it be a good idea to get the 2020 SVHO 160mm one piece pump since it replaces a few parts for about the same money aside from the extra needed to buy a new shaft and impeller. Could I run the larger pump with a stock engine (only has ribbon delete and Frozen Boost intercooler) or do you need supercharger impeller and/or tune? Since I'm just starting out with the boat I'm not sure what I want but I don't think I'm after top speed. I'm more concerned with low end power like for pulling inflatables or holeshot.

To my knowledge the ring is not available only once I knew someone many years ago who had a ring crack and Yamaha had to replace it under warranty they were baffled as to how it cracked and not sure how they were going to replace it but they managed. You may still find the post on another Yamaha jet boat forum it was posted by a person named Johnny O, maybe since this was a long time ago things have changed but you may need to just get it fixed or remanufactured. also all the barnacles on your prop are most likely what is causing the cavitation. Also take a look inside the pump and see what the bearings and grease look like it may have lost a bearing.

Last edited:
To my knowledge the ring is not available only once I knew someone many years ago who had a ring crack and Yamaha had to replace it under warranty they were baffled as to how it cracked and not sure how they were going to replace it but they managed. You may still find the post on another Yamaha jet boat forum it was posted by a person named Johnny O, maybe since this was a long time ago things have changed but you may need to just get it fixed or remanufactured. also all the barnacles on your prop are most likely what is causing the cavitation. Also take a look inside the pump and see what the bearings and grease look like it may have lost a bearing.
I remember reading one of your posts saying that these boats are not good to be wet slipped in salt water because of the barnacles. I guess the previous owner didn't see that. I checked the bearings and grease and they look good. I'll look for the earlier post. I was thinking if that part isn't available maybe I could fill the pitting with epoxy and sand it smooth but not sure it would stay in place. Has anyone tried something similar?

Back