• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What should the max rpm be on 16 24' boats?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am not sure they are critical either. That said RIVA is great at squeezing every bit out of jet skis with mods so I guess they did that out of experience.

Just curious as I am considering doing as you did but really don't want to void my warranty or worse yet bypass the flame arresting safety nature.
Here is my 0.02.
(I won't even tell you how much time I spent reading into it, mostly on greenhulk) I could never find a single piece of evidence that deleting ribbon is detrimental to the engine. Kind of a consensus opinion is that the ECU automatically adjusts to increased air flow resulting in an incremental rise in power and fuel economy. It is a pain to do in SHO/SVHO, as one needs to dismantle the intake manifold, but simple in 1.8 N/As. (and has no real purpose in MR-1s that are extremely well vented from factory.)

It is entirely reversible, does not leave any electronic trace as you are still limited by the electronic OEM rev limiter.

USCG mandates flame arrestors in boats (such as the ribbon in "ribbon delete") even though those play questionable role in fuel injected (not carburated) ignition systems. The simple fix is to change the air filter to a "flame arrestor" type. No need to do this IMO, but if you want to play it safe there are RIVA air filters/flame arrestors to get you USCG compliance. Or a cheap automotive equivalent.

--

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
in my 190 i was able to hit 7700rpm momentarily.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@swatski - whats the Snorkel Delete? I'm assuming in the intake, but I'll be doing the Ribbon delete before the boat goes in the water this season...Thanks

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski - whats the Snorkel Delete? I'm assuming in the intake, but I'll be doing the Ribbon delete before the boat goes in the water this season...Thanks
Yank it out once you open the filter:

Honestly, don't know EXACTLY HOW MUCH that helps, but it does open up the filterbox, so it is a positive change in air flow. Ribbon delete will give you some 150-200 RPM on top, "snorkel" mod maybe another 50. That is assuming you are not riding on the rev limiter (above 7,800 RPM) to start with, of course.

Here are more pics of the air filter box open, snorkels out:

One trick is not to mess with the bolts that hold the filter boxes, just wiggle the boxes out/off of the rubber mounts. You will see what I mean when you look into it in your boat.
Another trick is to use a wood screw to pull the ribbon out, it can be hard to grab/pull out.
I will try to post on the procedure when I have a little bit of time. But it really is pretty strait forward, just disconnect the throttle body, don't loose any bolts, gaskets. Follow RIVA's instructions.

--

Last edited:

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@swatski - Thanks great info...the pics did't come through.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
IMG_0930.JPG
Kane the boot is on the right...

Kane