• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What size box anchor

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking to go with on a box anchor but I'm not sure what I need (SX 190; in somewhat rocky lakes). All the guides say to use the small size (19-lb, 22" x 8.5" x 5" (collapsed)) for my boat but just looking at the specs for the x-small (13-lb, 18" x 7" x 4.5" (collapsed)), I can't help but think it would be just fine. Anyone got any advice/experience on which way to go?

Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I jave an sx230.. we bought a medium one and it is almost too big to handle.... however you know whay doesnt happen now? Anchor dragging! However if i buy another one it would be a small..

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the small size for my 212x and it work great. When I first got it I thought the size was wrong, there is nothing small about it!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have the small for my 192

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same as the others I have a small in my 240 and couldn't Imagine having a bigger one. I was able to actually hang the small one in my anchor locker so I can't complain about that either.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
for 19 footer i'm sure x-small will suffice. 24footer has a lot more surface area for wind to catch and small box anchor is plenty

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have a small 19lb on my 192 and it holds the boat great!

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where do you store a box anchor? Does it fit in the locker? I have an AR240 and still have my old danford but I am now on a soft bottom lake and the danford just doesnt work well or sometime to well and I get 20lbs of yuck.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My Yamaha anchor stays in the anchor locker. I put my box anchor in the bag and in the starboard rear storage when not being used and when it has been used I'll stow it wet in my ski locker.

micj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I keep a Danforth in the anchor locker and small box anchor in port front storage. I originally had the box anchor in the anchor storage up until I hit choppy conditions and heard the box anchor moving around and pounding away in the storage area.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I keep my Danforth in the anchor locker but have it on a 40ft rope not tied to the anchor point.I use it to anchor the back of the boat to shore. I have my small box anchor in port front storage but have the line tied to the anchor point in the locker. I just have it hang out of the seat. On the 19 ft boat you don't see the rope running to the anchor box from under seat. It looks as it would be different on the 24ft. It works perfect for me.. You will figure out what works best for you. Also in my opinion I would just go with the small 19lb. I just feel a lot more secure on windy days but I am sure the ex small would work to. I just know when I throw it out I don't have to do anything else as it just sticks and grabs 99% of the time. Good luck!

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thx for all the info. I'm going to Lake Havasu today so I think I'll swing by the shop where they make these anchors in Lake Havasu City. I can take a look at the real thing and talk to the guys there to get their take. Running out of time on Overton's 20% of sale...that would certainly soften the $$ blow.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where do you store a box anchor? Does it fit in the locker? I have an AR240 and still have my old danford but I am now on a soft bottom lake and the danford just doesnt work well or sometime to well and I get 20lbs of yuck.
I hung mine in the anchor locker so it doesn't bang around. I bought a 18 inch long piece of half inch rebar from home depot for $1.87 and two 1/2 rubber screw protectors for 87 cents to put on the end of the rebar (not in picture) and just ran it through the top of the anchor. It fits in the little cubby in the front hanging so it doesn't bang around and cause damage.

anchor.jpg

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thx, but I'm looking for box anchor info...not worried about storage right now ;) Great idea though!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thx, but I'm looking for box anchor info...not worried about storage right now ;) Great idea though!
I don't think it will hang in the 19ft boat anchor locker. @Hellacool was asking where to store it he has a 24ft boat.

Devildog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I keep my box anchor on the port side storage in the front. I have a boatload of life jackets in there, so it gives it good padding. But I may try Roberts idea with the rebar, etc. I tried putting my anchor in the anchor locker, but just could not make it work.....a little cumbersome.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thx for all the info. I'm going to Lake Havasu today so I think I'll swing by the shop where they make these anchors in Lake Havasu City. I can take a look at the real thing and talk to the guys there to get their take. Running out of time on Overton's 20% of sale...that would certainly soften the $$ blow.
Looked at the box anchors at Slide Anchor in Havasu yesterday...nothing like seeing the real deal up close and personal. They had four stacked by the door ready to go to some lucky boaters. The guy there looked at my boat and suggested the small; he said the x-small was for PWC's only. After seeing them, I'd have to agree. Missed the Overton sale but I'm sure something will pop up soon to help with the hefty price tag. Anyone not happy with yours I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Also, thx for all the storage ideas. Posting here is like a box of chocolates.... :)

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yep, I checked out the Mantus as well...tests are impressive. Only thing is the anchor is fairly bulky (like the box anchor) unless you disassemble it and it requires rode chain which would increase the total weight of the anchor system. The minimum scope was also more that the box anchor, 2:1 vs 4:1. With the Mantus coming in at about $85 its definitely a better deal cost wise.