• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What size box anchor

kindtampa

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My gripes and experience with the box anchor is that's not just bulky, but 20+lbs (Mantus 8lbs). Pulling it up is a CHORE. Most importantly I'm finding it doesn't set well in the "world renowned, super fine, white sand of the West Central Florida waters". :) It does not stay set at a busy sandbar with a lot wake. 2:1 ratio in the real world, or at least in the Gulf of Mexico isn't a reality. Obviously it works REALLY well for a lot of people. I chose the box anchor simply because it has a mythical existence here. Just not working out for me.

Mantus vs Box Anchor

@OUT ON THE REEF did a video testing of the Mantus.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I love my box anchor, but if I was a regular in fine sand, I would have a Mantus. Last week at Orange Beach, AL I was able to replicate the video with my box anchor on packed wet sand. On fine sand it worked well. But, after seeing what the Mantus did to @OUT ON THE REEF lawn mower, I was impressed.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just reading through some of the posts in the threads associated with the videos, it sounds like the box has problems in gulf sand according to several folks. I would be using it in lakes and rivers so maybe those are better environments for a box. But I have to admit I don't relish the idea of pulling up 20 lbs of anchor with the associated bottom crud.

Unfortunately, one size does not fit all with anchors.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The mantis looks great but won't fit in the front anchor storage.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks like someone got it to fit in a 240...

Sure not gonna fit in mine...probably not even in pieces :)

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Mine only has a 12" opening.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I kinda like this baby....and it looks to perform as will or better than the box. It may even fit in the smaller boats' lockers. Vulcan 6 is my size, about 21 x 11in more or less, 13 lbs.

Attachments

Last edited:

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Looks nice.

OUT ON THE REEF

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I love my box anchor, but if I was a regular in fine sand, I would have a Mantus. Last week at Orange Beach, AL I was able to replicate the video with my box anchor on packed wet sand. On fine sand it worked well. But, after seeing what the Mantus did to @OUT ON THE REEF lawn mower, I was impressed.[/QU
thanks. to me for my use the Mantus has been the best anchor for sand , i slept 2 night in the bahamas with winds of 20 to 25 mph and did not moved a inch , i purchase the 8 pound Mantus and it does fit my 190 fsh anchor locker .

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I keep my bullawaga anchor under the front bow cushion in a custom plywood holder. Then I store all my fenders and mooring ropes in the anchor locker. The bullawaga uses a similar principle to the mantis and works fantastic. Cam.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Where do you store a box anchor? Does it fit in the locker? I have an AR240 and still have my old danford but I am now on a soft bottom lake and the danford just doesnt work well or sometime to well and I get 20lbs of yuck.
The small will fit in a 2015 up anchor locker. I have a small and fits great.

Devildog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't have any experience with anchors and sand, but for the muddier lakes, the box anchor has been super reliable even in windy conditions where my previous anchor would fail. Sure, it is a little heavy, but once you pull the anchor line to the bow so the line is straight down, it releases pretty easily. Yes, there is a lot of mud (and a bikini top on one occcasion last year) on the anchor, but that just tells me that it was set well. It definitely gives me a little more peace of mind when I throw that sucker out.

I actually got a great deal on my small box anchor last year. I got it through jet.com with a 20% discount code plus another small discount and free shipping for being my first time order. Really good experience. I see the current prices on Amazon are around $140ish and others around $150ish. There does not appear to be any current jet.com discount codes for the anchors right now, but if you are looking for one, keep looking for those discount codes on any of the sites.....could save you some moola.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do love these anchor discussions.

But not because I think I will find the 'right' anchor or a better anchor. Rather because it seems to me that each anchor has its pluses and minuses and each needs to be used correctly. Each time we have one of these threads (and there have been several), I wind up learning about another situation where my box may not work optimally (I kept my stock fluke anchor on board as a backup) or how to better configure something.

One thing I learned early on (but not after some missteps) is to never trust any anchor completely. Even the box, while I love it for my mud bottom normal lake, I always check to ensure it is set and I always recheck periodically. The fact of the matter is that unless you dive and see how your anchor is set, you don't really know how well it is or is not set. It may seem good, only because it is under that rock that shortly pulls up and -- poof -- your boat is free again. So, whatever you use, set it properly, check it and recheck it.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I do love these anchor discussions.

But not because I think I will find the 'right' anchor or a better anchor. Rather because it seems to me that each anchor has its pluses and minuses and each needs to be used correctly. Each time we have one of these threads (and there have been several), I wind up learning about another situation where my box may not work optimally (I kept my stock fluke anchor on board as a backup) or how to better configure something.
I agree...although the topic is an old one, there's always new technology coming out like the Rocna Vulcan and the Manson Boss that opens up options for more choices than the old stand-bys. I was leaning towards the box in my OP but I think now I've come to see some real advantages with the newer anchors out there...looking hard at the Manson Boss 10#. For about the same $$ as a box I can get a lighter anchor with better performance, and it will fit into about the same space as the box required.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got stuck in 10hrs of 60 mph winds while at anchor. Nice to have a good anchor for times like that, when there is nothing you can do but anchor and pray. Cam.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
OK, done thinking about it....decided to abandon the box and go with the 8# Mantus. Thx to all who contributed!
How is this working out for you? Where/how do you store it? Even in 3-4 feet of water I can't get my stock anchor to hold.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How is this working out for you? Where/how do you store it? Even in 3-4 feet of water I can't get my stock anchor to hold.
I know your question was directed at merlinjet, but I will chime in and say that I use the baby box anchor (13lbs) on my 19' and it works great. It sets every time on the lakes I boat on in East TN. It was a bit on the pricey side compared to the danforth it replaced, but I hated dealing with anchor chain.