• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What the heck is Starboard?!?!?!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm looking to build a couple racks for the storage area, and was going to machine it from this Starboard stuff everyone talks about, but the only thing I can find by Googling to "Why do we use Port and Starboard on a boat"......which of course is interesting reading, but it's not giving me the answers I'm looking for.

I see some pictures around here with references to Starboard, with black, some with white. It looks like it's just UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) or HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) boarding. Can someone confirm this?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Starboard is patented and made by King Mfg. it's some kind of HDPE, there is a knock off now called Seaboard also,

depending on the thickness you might could get it at West marine or Home depot or a local plastic sheet supplier.

I recently had a new project and found Cesnay Plastics out of FL on ebay, they will cut to your size and ship same or next day UPS ground
yachtwindows.com

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Or search for hdpe sheet on amazon. Exterior pvc trim board from your local Home improvement warehouse may also work and perhaps be better suited to the task.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You already got your answer, but you will also learn its very nice, but also somewhat pricey.

I hear some people use a plastic cutting board from your local store if you just need a small piece to mount electric components, etc.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotcha. So it's just HDPE.

McMaster has a large selection and is a one day ground ship to my office. I'll pick put some stock from there and get after it.

Guess I should have Googled "Star Board" as two words. Makes sense when I say it out loud but couldn't find it for anything earlier.

Thanks guys! Super helpful as always.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotcha. So it's just HDPE.

McMaster has a large selection and is a one day ground ship to my office. I'll pick put some stock from there and get after it.

Guess I should have Googled "Star Board" as two words. Makes sense when I say it out loud but couldn't find it for anything earlier.

Thanks guys! Super helpful as always.
The real stuff is very expensive, I bought it once many years ago at West Marine, it was like $30-40 for a smallish piece. Very nice though - very light but strong. The stuff from Home Depot seems somewhat similar but I'm sure it's not as strong, they may be calling it a PVC board?

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From the link above....24x27x.750 White Starboard = $113.59
From McMaster-Carr...24x24x.750 White HDPE Sheet = $63.56

Lots of marketing speak on the Starboard about proprietary polymers and such. Anyone have experience with both and can comment on if the extra $50.03 for the Starboard is worth it?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know I have read about a bad batch made because some UV stuff was left out and it yellowed quickly so something was warranty covered and replaced.... Rambling, the point is the UV and outdoor rating that starboard is supposed to have that it is supposedly rated for exposure to the elements long term... The cutting board, not so much.... Not sure where the Mc board is in this spectrum.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The real stuff is very expensive, I bought it once many years ago at West Marine, it was like $30-40 for a smallish piece. Very nice though - very light but strong. The stuff from Home Depot seems somewhat similar but I'm sure it's not as strong, they may be calling it a PVC board?

--
Yes, Lowes and Home Depot call it PVC board. I have been using that stuff for years to build battery racks in my boats, holds up pretty well and doesn't rot. On my aluminum fishing boats I have always used a 4X8" sheet of starboard and a proprietary glue that bonds the board to aluminum so that way I can add sonar transducers without drilling a bunch of holes in the hull.

Having experience with both I would say actual Starboard is going to be a lot stronger because it is more dense then PVC board. If I were going to build actual shelves I would not use PVC board as it would most likely sag with any kind of weight on it.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Im not sure about HDPE but in pictures its looks like a rough sawn finish and "King starboard" has a textured surface

I ordered the 3/4 black king starboard from boat outfitters custom cut to size they offer a nice option to route one side or both sides in 1/8'' 3/16'' or 1/4'' I chose 1/8'' route on both sides. It looks and feels very nice like a piece of cabinetry the surface is textured and edges are routed and polished . Its super easy to drill and re shape if needed.

Link to how people have used this material

ebay vendors seem to have the best price I just ordered white 3/4'' below it includes shipping no option for routed edges from this vendor
in this listing its hdpe starboard its coming 4/23 . Porch pirots beware

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
PVC board is not HDPE board. King starboard is possibly the highest grade of hdpe board and also the most aggressively marketed brand. Both pvc and hdpe are easy to cut and route/shape but you will see tiny air voids in the pvc board. When cutting or routing any plastics keep the blade cool by either slowing the blade speed or increasing the cut speed and stopping every so often. Plastic or non-ferrous metal blades work best. Split point drill bits may try to pull through so be careful. I recommend piloting every hole. As always keep the work piece secure, hands away from blades, wear eye/ear protection, and let the tool do the work.