• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What to do when water is "too cold?"

That is a good dinner right there!
We had snow flurries on and off today. I am getting so jacked for first ice! I was digging through my YouTube channel for inspirational videos. Tweener season just got harder, as the SXS trails close this weekend for Deer opener. Grrr.

Thinking of hard water season!

@octavio3311 When we do watersports in Lake St. Clair the water is usually around 70-72 max. In the rivers where it is calm and deep flowing in 70 would be a good day, but great area for wake boarding.

I would love to be in 80+ degree water. Some of our inland lakes get up there but are usually tore up and crowded. I remember when we were in Jamaica, I couldn't believe how warm the water was. I just sat in it at the beach all day and floated around..... Looking for sharks of course :)

If the water is cold, we boat to explore new areas or go for lunch or just float/anchor if the sun is shining. Some days a sweater and pants are needed, but we get out as much as we can as winter can last 5-6 months up here. Tonight is the first freezing night...boat is stored for winter now.
:(

@HangOutdoors - 76-84 is our comfort zone. Our lake can get warm - it got up to 86-88 this past August - on the surface anyways. Wife LOVED it.
This was the surface temp in late July on Allatoona. My niece was down to visit from Michigan she was loving it.
20210716_151626.jpg

Attachments

• BE1AED0C-1F28-4185-B48E-9AA01FE7514D.jpeg
    BE1AED0C-1F28-4185-B48E-9AA01FE7514D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
I'm in San Antonio and looking to stay boating all winter. We get random days in December and January where it will get to the mid 70's etc. Even right now the highs can still get into the 80s but the water is cooling down quick because of the lows at night.

So what does everyone do when the water is "too cold" for water sports or swimming? I enjoy just cruising around, but I'm driving so I'm entertained. I need to find some good activities to convince the family to go.
Im 20 mins from San Antonio. We boat most of the year. Usually put the boat up around Jan -Mar. In cooler weather, we like to travel the highland lakes. Buchanan, Inks, LBJ and Travis. All of these lakes have places to stop and eat and lots of nice scenery. Canyon Lake is another good spot, but only has one restaurant. Another positive side to boating in cooler weather is the reduced boat traffic at the ramps and on the water.

Im 20 mins from San Antonio. We boat most of the year. Usually put the boat up around Jan -Mar. In cooler weather, we like to travel the highland lakes. Buchanan, Inks, LBJ and Travis. All of these lakes have places to stop and eat and lots of nice scenery. Canyon Lake is another good spot, but only has one restaurant. Another positive side to boating in cooler weather is the reduced boat traffic at the ramps and on the water.
I've been wanting to check out those lakes... only done Canyon so far. Do you have suggestions for the best ramps to go to from San Antonio? I'll be coming from the far west side, Alamo Ranch area.

Back