• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What type of oil are you using.

For me, the important thing on the oil is to get the right weight and to make sure it is the hybrid (conventional/synthetic mix). The mix is important because once conventional has been in your boat awhile, switching to full synthetic (which does not wet the seals as well as dino oil) can cause the gaskets to shrink just a bit and you can wind up with little oil leaks. Brand is secondary as long as it is a reputable one in my book (I avoid the 7-Eleven, even super premium--sorry). So I have put STP, Shell, Castrol, and even the dreaded Mobil 1.

As to the filter, again, I go with the convenient brand name (which usually turns out to be Fram).

I have not had my oil tested (as some here have), but I have equally had no issues. Part of my calculus, though, is that I do change the oil annually and I don't usually put a mess load of hours on the boat each year. So I am changing the filter probably long before its time (and maybe the oil, too, but there is a time component there). There may be many better filters and oils out there and some use cases may indeed justify it.

Do have much respect for many of the folks above who put such research and quality into their boats. So I am not offering this to detract at all from what you see above, but rather to just add another viewpoint. (translation: don't flame me over the Mobil 1, huh?)

If you are using specialty purpose oils such as Amsoil I would check its micron range for suspended contaminants as a special filter might be required. A number of specialty synthetic oils advise companion filters. For some of its specialty oils mated to catalytic converter engines Mercruiser recommended specialty oil filters made to remove contaminants from its specially blended oils. You can get into trouble if you use an oil that suspends contaminants in a micron range that an oil filter can not scrub. I have used a lot of specialty oils and filters over the years Kendall, Royal Purple, Amsoil and specialty filters Mercruiser, Wix etc. IMO it is very important to match the capabilities of both or you can do more harm than just going OEM. For my 2020SX195 I use Yamalube and Yamaha filter and spin the filter off a couple of times a summer and top-up the oil. I don't know if it is still available but Shell Oil did a study years ago of non-synthetic and synthetic oils and filters testing for heat tolerance, spike heat in engines, bearing shear tests etc. One of their conclusion was to ensure the performance of the oil and filter were congruent. Now every regular oil has some synthetics in it, even the cheapest as none would pass EPA tests for friction and pollution without a synthetic component. True straight grade oils are still available for specialty purposes but I would not run them in anything I own. Good synthetic oils actually build long chain polymers under load, stress and heat. :cool:

Amsoil for both oil and filter, its the best. The filters a built way better then the Yamaha one that cracked as soon as I put it down.

I don't think there is any magic there, but everything I've heard about it rather reassuring.
My port side engine survived a cracked head and making milkshake oil while running with Amsoil, got a new head and everything is fine a season later. I'm not going to credit amsoil, but I'm sticking with it, lol.

--

sold just bought me a drum of marine oil! lol

Amsoil 10w-40 and amsoil or wix synthetic approved filter. Be careful with synthetics and synthetic blends and "cheap" filters the synthetic oils will eat the glues used in the construction of the filters

Last edited:
Out of curiousity, aren't Yamaha filters made by Fram? They look identical and Fram makes OEM filters for many automotive companies. I just ran a cross reference and both the Fram PH3614 and PH6022 come up as a replacement along with dozens more for the Yamaha 69J-13440-01-00 filter. I know it's more than thread sizes for specs, but all of these filters are essentially the same specs for bypass, filter material, flow rate, etc.

I plan on keeping Yamalube in my engines, but I'm betting they're just re-branded Fram filters. Their oil is likely supplied by Mystik or one of the other big OEM suppliers.

Amsoil.
This is pretty much a standing order for me:
View attachment 144309

looks like they are out of stock with those filters. how did you cross reference them equivalent to yamaha's oil filter? i wonder if its any different for the supercharged engines

i guess ill still be sticking with the marine amsoil and yamaha filters. just found out that yamaha stock #, 69J-13440-03-00, has been superseded by 69J-13440-04-00 for the supercharged 1.8L engines. Just to be clear yamaha oil filters do work well with synthetic oils because they do sell full synthetic oil change kits with this filter

Out of curiousity, aren't Yamaha filters made by Fram? They look identical and Fram makes OEM filters for many automotive companies. I just ran a cross reference and both the Fram PH3614 and PH6022 come up as a replacement along with dozens more for the Yamaha 69J-13440-01-00 filter. I know it's more than thread sizes for specs, but all of these filters are essentially the same specs for bypass, filter material, flow rate, etc.

I plan on keeping Yamalube in my engines, but I'm betting they're just re-branded Fram filters. Their oil is likely supplied by Mystik or one of the other big OEM suppliers.

yamaha filters are the actual real deal made with good micron filters instead of cardboard filter like fram

Last edited:
yamaha filters are the actual real deal made with good micron filters instead of cardboard filter like fram
Who told you that? According to tear-downs, Yamaha uses the same cellulose paper filter material and no end caps which let unfiltered oil past the filtration media:
From 2017
From 2019

i guess ill still be sticking with the marine amsoil and yamaha filters. just found out that yamaha stock #, 69J-13440-03-00, has been superseded by 69J-13440-04-00 for the supercharged 1.8L engines.
It has nothing to do with supercharged or not - Yamaha changes the minor revision number when they change suppliers to differentiate sources (I used to work in warehousing before getting into Healthcare and I recognize sort codes). The 01 were made in Japan with packed fibers, the 03 is made in Thailand with paper pleats, and the 04 is from ?? Not sure where the 04 is made yet as I've yet to see one - my oil change kit last year had the 03 in it.

Most likely each revision was a cost cutting measure to maximize profit margins on parts. Here in Canada the Yamaha filter is $30+ each and 4L oil change kits are $80 each - that means the 4L of oil is $50 in the kit. Talk about profit...
:rolleyes:

Who told you that? According to tear-downs, Yamaha uses the same cellulose paper filter material and no end caps which let unfiltered oil past the filtration media:
From 2017
From 2019

Wow! I stand corrected! I did not know that. thanks for sharing. Now I know to never use those

Keeping it simple: 100% Yamaha Oil and Filter per Yamaha.

Back