• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What upgrade to do for sound system?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Speaker upgrades: Wetsounds 650's. Don't let anyone tell you there is anything better. Again - comes down to budget. An HT4 or 6 will work depending if you are driving 4 or 6 speakers. That's as simple as an upgrade as you can get... existing speakers and adding an amp. From there - go to the tower. Again - wetsounds. Rev10's - don't cheap out on the 8's. A pair will suffice and another HT4 will pair with those perfectly. That will be as loud as you'll want it and put you into "head turning... that guy status" - BUT you'll probably want to add bass. I added (two) wetsounds Free Air's. REVO 12 FA. Many have cut holes so don't let this scare you. Another HT-4 will drive those perfectly. By now you'll need to add a battery if you've not done so already. Blue Seas add a battery with ACR. To top it all off scrap the EQ idea. Go with a Fusion UD-755 Head Unit. You can store your phone inside and most importantly it allows you to zone everything so you can turn your cockpit off while your booming the tower. It also allows you to set volume limits so your kids don't mess with the controls and blow everything up. Lastly pair your Fusion HU with the NRX300 so you can skip the slow jams from floating behind the boat until you're ready to wake the sunset.

DITTO on the do NOT skimp out on your wire. Get 0/1 power/ground and all amp wire from KnuKonceptz (be sure to get the marine grade copper tinned).
Thats one way to do it...

I think besides personal preference it also comes down to what kind of music you listen too.

Based on my music (Hip-hop, Rap, R&B) I chose my equipment to suite my listening needs and preferences, so I was dead set on having some MAJOR BASS, and free-air just wont cut it for me. I ended up with 2 JL 12W3s in ported boxes off a JL M1000/1.

For most others, based on music/listening preferences then the JL and WS Free air subs are great, especially when you run more than 1.

I just want to make sure I threw that out there...an enclosure vs free air is also something to consider.

you can always start with a single sub and see how that works for you.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thats one way to do it...

I think besides personal preference it also comes down to what kind of music you listen too.

Based on my music (Hip-hop, Rap, R&B) I chose my equipment to suite my listening needs and preferences, so I was dead set on having some MAJOR BASS, and free-air just wont cut it for me. I ended up with 2 JL 12W3s in ported boxes off a JL M1000/1.

For most others, based on music/listening preferences then the JL and WS Free air subs are great, especially when you run more than 1.

I just want to make sure I threw that out there...an enclosure vs free air is also something to consider.

you can always start with a single sub and see how that works for you.
Pfft. You need to upgrade lol. Two of these should feed your major bass obsession.... might need to upgrade a few more things though.

http://www.down4soundshop.com/Nightshade-v.4-12-2500-watts-D2/

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats def a TON OF BASS...are you saying this monster is free-air?

I think what I was trying to say was based off what I listen to I needed more bass than what the free-air subs can muster, mostly on the low end, so a ported enclosure with 2 12s was what I ended up with.

One of my buddies has 4 12s and 2K watts, so when hes around I dont even try.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Nah lol you prob need 4-5 cubes and a ton of port for that guy.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with most everything said above. Ht4 will not be enough amp for rev10's though. You need a SYN-DX4. You will also want to use OFC wire " oxygen free copper".

It doesn't really sound like you are looking to get into the big leagues yet so just a good internal speaker and a mild amp combo will be light years ahead of what you have now.

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A single HT-4 runs 300 x 2 watts RMS @ 4 Ohms Mono - the exact specs for a single pair of REV10's? Wouldn't that work if just going with a single pair?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you were in a car with 14.4 volts all the time you would get your 300 matts RMS. I didn't say it wouldn't work just there would be some left on the table for the speakers. I like to leave a little head room and account for the voltage drop for the equipment so I can get everything out of them.