• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What's it like with a full boat?

BigMan77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello everyone.

Just got a 2019 242SE from a forum member. Already working with the family to plan a summer trip to travel with the boat and meet up with friends from around the country.

We know the boat is rated for 12 people, plus a descent share of equipment/supporting gear. What i don't know though is what its like on board with 12.

I figured it would be tight, but is it? I figure your all seated going out to a sand bar, and if you do watersports, then you 1 or 2 people down on the interior. I have read there should be no problem with pulling a tube/skier/wakeboarder with a full load, and that the hole shot will still be respectable.

Just curious if anybody has more experience. Didn't turn up too much on the late model 242's at capacity.

12 of what size? That's a pretty tight setup there, might be OK once or twice, but not ideal for comfort. Think of it as a Honda Pilot with another row... Will they fit physically? yes. Will it be really tight? yes it will. If you manage to fit 8 behind the helm (tight fit), that's still 4 in the bow.

If 4+ are kids, you have a better chance of not feeling super cramped. Do you have your hands on the boat yet? Practice your seating expectations once you get it. I think 12 is very tight myself, but I don't own your exact boat.

It wont arrive until start of April. Better it sit down south in the heat then in the freeze up in MI.

That being said we have been on a number of 240/242's when we were shopping. Its just hard to visualize the people all at once.

We could be looking at 1 toddler, 3 small adults, 5 regular adults, and 3 large adults (not xl adults).

Guess at the end of the day, not everyone needs to go out at once and likely wont.

We could be looking at 1 toddler, 3 small adults, 5 regular adults, and 3 large adults (not xl adults).
That is going to be a load. Not to say too many but I have had 4 adults and 5 kids in the boat and there's room for more but it's about how comfortable everyone is. Assume the adults are going to have bags and coolers to bring and think about where that stuff is going to go and be easily accessible. Also think about where you keep your fenders, ropes and other things you might need and if people are going to need to get up out of their seat to get to the items.

Agree with Jpace76... it ‘s the total load. With 12 people on board, you are probably asking for a law enforcement stop and in my experience they will start looking at not only people, but weight of all the gear on board (coolers, boards, anchor, etc)

Agree with Jpace76... it ‘s the total load. With 12 people on board, you are probably asking for a law enforcement stop and in my experience they will start looking at not only people, but weight of all the gear on board (coolers, boards, anchor, etc)
The label is pretty generous, so you won't likely be overweight with some kids, (You don't want to be overweight for sure) BUT you will be more greatly scrutinized, so as usual, but very important this loaded time, be sure you are in full compliance with your needed safety equipment. Throwable PFD, Fire Extinguisher, Flare/Day Signal, PDF for each occupant, kids wearing their PFD as required by your state law, Etc etc

Good point on total weight. I'm looking at a margin of 700lbs remaining after people are counted for 2 coolers and boat equipment. Not to mention towels and the like.

This is based on 2700lbs weight capacity.

Risk v reward probability here

2700 seems really high. Are you sure that total allowable isn’t 1700? It’s typically about 150 lbs/person.

OK, sorry!! Just looked up your specs, it does say 2700. That’s really impressive

Merica!

Last summer we loaded my 21' to the max for hours at a time on a lake for boarding and surfing. We're talking 10 full sized humans - it wasn't the most comfortable, but we were having such a blast, nobody noticed.

Now traveling for an extended time on the water, I'd say you'll want to be around 3/4 of your cap limit for comfort.

Thanks Anmut. Appreciate the real world feedback. It's all about making the best of the situation. Good friends. Good family. Good times.

@BigMan77 we have your same boat/year. I’ve definitely had 12 people in the boat for a run to the sandbar, and yes, it’s cramped, but doable. 4 or 5 people (kids) up front, the rest in the cockpit, put the step filler seat in for more seating. The real key is tell your guests to leave the bags upon bags of stuff at home, and once you get to the sandbar, use the rear deck seats, go float in the water, etc.

The biggest aggravation is to the 2 people who sit starboard aft and have to get up every time someone needs a beer from the cooler under their seat!

I'll be honest. Yes, it can be a ton of fun with loaded boat.
BUT
there are limits.
This is what 12 (?) (I couldn't even tell, I was laughing so hard when I saw it, lolol) looks like in your boat, lol.
this is not us, my good friend in my former marina in MO - make your own conclusions, lol:
1611364461591.png

--

Here I think we had 10 total - it was a blast, but this was local, very short cruise and then just fooling around with people in the water:
1611364867819.png

same here, about 8-10 but few in the water at all times:
1611365039349.png

It's a blast! If you don't have to go far and the weather is cooperating etc.

--

@swatski lol. Could almost be a meme. Pics from your second post, "what I'm thinking it will be like", then the pic at the dock " what really having a full boat is like".

That being said, a lil planning, some forward thinking. Do able. Exactly the kind of experience I was hoping to draw on. Thx

@Plpbecks. I got an idea I've been messaging about a slide out cooler rack in the head compartment similar to what the scarab boats have behind the helm. Thinking some heavy sliders, some tig welded Al frame. It would eliminate under seat storage or loss of deck space. Gears are turning for spring.

We took 8 adults to Bimini for a week on our SX230 (with lots of luggage, supplies, booze, etc...) on the first Bimini Yamaha trip in 2011.

Here we are in Ft. Lauderdale the day before:

Bimini 2011 021.JPG

We have had 5 adults and 7 kids (ages 6-13) on the boat multiple times. For tooling around on a lake, we make it work pretty well. This is inland lake boating. Hardest part is docking/undocking, because typically most on the boat don't have a clue and just get in the way.

Back