• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Whats the shallowest you can go in a SX230

JBRyan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My community dock is 3-4ft deep, is this deep enough to safely launch? It deepens to 5-6ft pretty quickly but I can see silt being stirred up we did launch it 1 time last year.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My community dock is 3-4ft deep, is this deep enough to safely launch? It deepens to 5-6ft pretty quickly but I can see silt being stirred up we did launch it 1 time last year.
You should be fine with that depth. These boats will go with as little as 18” of draft.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't have any concern

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wouldn’t be too scared either way, but one question I have is, when you say 3-4ft, is that according to your boat readout, where your 18” of draft is already accounted for, or is it actually 3-4ft before your boat soaks up 1.5ft of it?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Running these boats in less than 3 feet of water can be a problem. Over time, and not a long time, sand can accumulate in the cylinder water jackets. It cannot be flushed out. If an engine starts overheating, that may be the cause.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
no wake in 3' is fine. states so in the manual.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I giggle when we have these threads, as one of the biggest reasons most of us love these boats is the shallow draft compared to a prop boat. And then as soon as we see these clips or ask questions about running in less than 3ft of water, so many cry wolf and say don't do it.

When you look at the video above, understand where that water is being sucked through, the jet pump. And then look at your pump and look at the screen where water is actually taken into the engine. Yes, some sand is going to go in, yes over time it can cause damage, and yes, and outboard motor is no different. These engines can take it.

Would I continuously run in less than 3ft of water, yes if it gets me to where I need to. Should you run in less than 18" no, but for a shot to pull me out of a situation yes. The channel into my private bay is 1.7ft of water below the hull. I idle through that channel multiple times/week. I would bet by the end of the summer, I may be running that 50ft channel on plane. I know the bottom and where the dangers are.

So pick your poison, brag about your shallow draft, or pat yourself on the back for protecting your jet pumps, but in the end, we are no better than an outboard when it comes right down to it for this particular situation. (other differences still valid)

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Will was making a point with that video. If you idle in neutral or go in reverse you have potential of stirring things up and sucking them in. Idle or no wake while in full forward and I don't worry about sucking things up. Number 1 reason I bought a Yamaha was so we could play in the river of 3 feet of water.
Now surfing, ...I like to have 4 feet for that.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
According to this our boats run fine on dry land.

JBRyan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wouldn’t be too scared either way, but one question I have is, when you say 3-4ft, is that according to your boat readout, where your 18” of draft is already accounted for, or is it actually 3-4ft before your boat soaks up 1.5ft of it?
I took a measuring tape and put it on the bottom while standing on the dock and I get 3-4ft depending on any recent rains and time of year.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Now surfing, ...I like to have 4 feet for that.
Not to derail this thread, but there is an amazing difference in how the surf wake forms once you get over 10ft if not 15ft of water. We noticed this in our 242 and in my buddy's moomba. Once under 10ft of water, that wave will not form fully. Hard to believe, but true. There is your trivia for the day from the cesspool of $hit knowledge.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yeah, I really enjoy going to Lake Shelbyville and surfing in deep water but my river is so convenient that we mainly just put up with the wave.