• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What's up with my Ram?

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, I bought my 2013 Ram 1500 a year ago and don't get me wrong I love my truck. My problems with it have been covered by warranty but still seem to be a little ridiculous.
So far I have had to have the gauge cluster replaced 3 times. It's broken exhaust manifold bolts that needed replaced, as well as a belt tensioner that needed replaced. The truck only has 41,000 miles on it and all of the problems seem a little ridiculous. I had a '09 GMC Sierra 1500 before this truck, and never had the first problem with it. I really love this truck, it rides really comfortably and pulls the boat like a boss, but why are there so many problems. Are my problems consolidated to me, or has anyone experienced these kind of problems?

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2015 with about 20K and have not had a single issue. Do you see any trends like this on-line?

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2015 with about 20K and have not had a single issue. Do you see any trends like this on-line?
I was doing some research last night, and found several instances of people having the manifold bolts break on the hemi. Apparently there is a heat problem on the back cylinders and the bolts are the weak point. The gauge cluster problem is less common but I did find a few instances on the forums.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My 2012 had an idler pulley go bad, and I have a recurring small evap leak code coming on. Kind of annoying, but other than that no issues. I'm about at 50K but just looked at 2016 GMC 1500 this weekend.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I hope the clusters aren't a problem! Just paid good money for a 7" premium cluster for my '14 Ram, and they aren't gonna warranty something it didn't come with!

Just over 9K miles and really no issues that aren't first year ecodiesel issues.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Most of the manifold bolt problems existed in the 09,10, and 11s, the problem was the rear cylinder bottom bolts as they are smaller than the rest. As for the guage cluster I have not seen a number of them to draw a conclusion that there is a major problem. The new generation Ram 09 - present rides better than any other manufacturer due to them having coil springs on all four corners. The 2016 2500 heavy duty Ram also has coils making for a much smoother ride than before.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my 2nd 5.7 hemi in a Jeep Grand Cherokee overland and nothing but issues with both of them. Gave the 2nd jeep to my daughter and we bought a new Silverado high country. Never again will I get a hemi. Broken manifold bolts, bad ecu, bad transmission controller, bad coil packs, many egr valves, tps sensor, etc etc. it got so bad I bought the laptop computer software so I could diagnose the problems with misfires and everything else. Sorry to be a downer but the hemi's just don't last.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had two hemi and no problems with either... as a matter of fact the one I have now is a 2005 with 110,000 miles that I pull the boat with and it's a tank. I did have to replace the fuel pump a few years ago but that as been the only issue. This durango is paid off so it will be pulling my boat for years to come. ... my 2nd hemi I had as a work vehicle and it was newer.. a 2011 charger... good god that thing was a beast.. I had to have the computer updated with a patch from dodge a few times right when it was new but that was all.... 375 horse power with 395 foot pounds of torque in a rear wheel drive car made driving fun! ! Now I am in a 2014 chevy tahoe that rides like a dream but it has Nothing for the hemis... my 2005 hemi could run circles around this thing.. I have always like chevy trucks but this thing is a large disappointment from a power and get up and go stand point. IMHO...

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am on my 2nd hemi rams (2012 and 2015) and had no problems (as mentioned above). I have a 2012 Cherokee Limited with the Mercedes engine (not a hemi) and had no problems. My old 2000 Dodge ram I gave to my soon has about 200K (5.2L) and still runs strong and looks good. My father in law has a 2009 Dodge Ram with the hemi and has had no problems either. I would know because I converted him to MOPAR! HA! There can always be cars that have a problem. It used to be never buy a car that was made on Monday or Friday. There was probably some truth in that but nowadays I don't; know since there is so much automation! I hope your problems get resolved and you don't have to keep replacing stuff!

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had 3 consecutive Ram/Cummins trucks with about 150,000 miles each and no problems. I used to be a Ford truck guy but switched to Ram with the 2nd-gen body style, then a 3rd-gen and now driving a 4th-gen. I fully expect to be driving a 5th-gen Ram when they come out.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am on my 2nd hemi rams (2012 and 2015) and had no problems (as mentioned above). I have a 2012 Cherokee Limited with the Mercedes engine (not a hemi) and had no problems. My old 2000 Dodge ram I gave to my soon has about 200K (5.2L) and still runs strong and looks good. My father in law has a 2009 Dodge Ram with the hemi and has had no problems either. I would know because I converted him to MOPAR! HA! There can always be cars that have a problem. It used to be never buy a car that was made on Monday or Friday. There was probably some truth in that but nowadays I don't; know since there is so much automation! I hope your problems get resolved and you don't have to keep replacing stuff!
I totally agree with you about some individual vehicles being more prone to problems. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced any of these problems. I love the truck and will definitely look at another Ram in the future. I just wish I hadn't been experiencing so many problems.
Thank God for warranties.

Last edited:

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Only problem I ever had with any of my previous hemi's was the dreaded "hemi-tick", although besides the noise it seemed not to have any side effects. The first one repaired and never came back, on the 2nd truck, a 2011 Durango, it never got bad ebough to really bother with it.
With my ecodiesel I have 15k miles and no real issues.
I did have a very annoying problem on a dodge Journey that eventually was tracked down to a bad Bluetooth module that would reset the whole dashboard intermittently while driving. Was pretty scary first time it did it, but never actually affected driving.
Because it was intermittent and because they never had anything connected to the Bluetooth while at the dealer it took a few videos and several visits to find the cause. They wanted to change all kinds of parts to see if it would go away, and had it not been under warranty I would have spent thousands to let them try it. After the 2nd part I told them to stop ordering stuff if they had no clue it would actually work or not. Just be careful what you allow them to order if out of warranty. The head unit with nav is well over 2k, and they are always trigger happy to replace it.
Dodge does seem to sprout random "gremlins" I guess.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How is the Eco towing the boat? I've thought about switching from the hem to an Eco

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Never drove the hemi, but I love the Eco. 19mpg pulling the boat and loaded with people and gear. No sweat.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm definitely going to look into the Eco for my next truck. I really like the hemi but you can't argue with the mileage gains of the diesel.

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2012 had an idler pulley go bad, and I have a recurring small evap leak code coming on. Kind of annoying, but other than that no issues. I'm about at 50K but just looked at 2016 GMC 1500 this weekend.
I have the same EVAP issue, bought a cheap code reader and just reset it myself. Seems to happen when there are drastic temp changes in the weather.

I did have one weird thing happen. Where the hood comes down from the center hump, right along the front edge of the hood, I had corrosion happening from the inside out on both sides. If you look under the hood, there are 2 weep holes near there and I guess water got in there and settled at the front edge of the hood. Both sides were corroding. Ram replaced the hood, no questions asked.

Other than that, 25,000 miles and nothing but oil changes and tire rotations.

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
+1 on the mpg for the Eco. 17-20 mpg while towing depending on speed, hills, etc. I get 10-13 mpg towing with the 6 cyl Infinity QX60 on the same routes if you need a reference. Plus, I can load more gear in the bed section.
I do have to say that the entertainment console on these trucks is the best I have seen from the features/ease of use perspective. Back up camera is an absolute must...