• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Whats your favorite improvement(s) to your 242?

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've only had this boat for a year and a half, and have been changing, modifying and repairing thins on it constantly. Its a labor of love, or maybe an addiction lol. In no particular order, because I its too hard...

Fangs!
Seadek
Hinged cooler seat cushion
Underwater RGB lights
Cooler bilge pump
Tower anchor light
Bow/cockpit covers
Fusion/Polk stereo & speaker upgrades

Honorable mention:
Plumbed in inflator pump
LED speaker rings
GPS/Fishfinder
Head storage
Sliding battery tray
Helm switch panel
Keel guard
Black bimini canvas
Dual bank battery charger
Fully automatic float bilge pump

I may be forgetting some things, but I'm curious about others.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've had quite a few mods but I believe that I use the Lowrance and the bow handles every time.

If I had to pick one it would be the bow handles. Cheap parts, easy install, used every time --- yep it wins!!

helm 1.jpg helm 2.jpg bow handles.jpg

Westbeach Bum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bennie do the bow handles effect how your boat cover fits. I really want to do this mod, but I don't want to harm the cover.

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think my most useful mods are my storage mods - adding a hangar rod to the helm storage compartment, and adding a shelf to the head storage. The stress reduction on my "crew" when they go to get ropes and fenders for docking is worth the effort 10 times over!

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bennie do the bow handles effect how your boat cover fits. I really want to do this mod, but I don't want to harm the cover.
Not at all - actually (according to the kid) it makes the covered boat look like a monster with nostrils.

Here's a pic. You'll have to look close to even see them.

cover.jpg

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think my most useful mods are my storage mods - adding a hangar rod to the helm storage compartment, and adding a shelf to the head storage. The stress reduction on my "crew" when they go to get ropes and fenders for docking is worth the effort 10 times over!
What did you use for the hanger rod mod? I was looking to do the same thing. Would help free up some storage.

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I used a dirt cheap closetmaid one from Canadian Tire. Just had to cut it to length and shim the forward one due to the angle of the fibreglass behind the seats. I just used some left over bits of dynamat to build the shim.

WP_20160709_09_12_45_Rich.jpg

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Zelone that is an impressive list. My boat is feeling unloved, she only got some fender straps and new rope for the shore spike this season.

Do you have the cooler seat hinge details ... a parts sourcing list and pics of your mod? Is this hinge easy enough for a less skilled guy (that would be me), to do some of the other seat cushions with the same hinges you used?

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My best addition was an AO Cooler full of beer.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
1. Certificate of ownership, I no longer co own it with a bank.
2. Bimini extension, keeps my crew and I on the water longer.
3. Bow handles, makes the bow ladder useable from the water and makes driveway boating easier as well.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Zelone that is an impressive list. My boat is feeling unloved, she only got some fender straps and new rope for the shore spike this season.

Do you have the cooler seat hinge details ... a parts sourcing list and pics of your mod? Is this hinge easy enough for a less skilled guy (that would be me), to do some of the other seat cushions with the same hinges you used?
Here is a link to the thread I discussed it in. I bought most of the parts at Home Depot, and McMaster.com The part most people would not want to do would be trimming the seat, and restapling the vinyl, but I think it was well worth it. Now that the concept is proven to work well, I plan to modify it a bit over the winter to make it a little more refined. Right now, when those not familiar with it, try and use it, they tend to pull a little too much and the wheels come out of the track.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/has-anyone-modded-hinged-seat-cushions.5810/

I love those bow handles pictured above. Anyone know if they work with a Yamaha Bow cover?

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a link to the thread I discussed it in. I bought most of the parts at Home Depot, and McMaster.com The part most people would not want to do would be trimming the seat, and restapling the vinyl, but I think it was well worth it. Now that the concept is proven to work well, I plan to modify it a bit over the winter to make it a little more refined. Right now, when those not familiar with it, try and use it, they tend to pull a little too much and the wheels come out of the track.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/has-anyone-modded-hinged-seat-cushions.5810/

I love those bow handles pictured above. Anyone know if they work with a Yamaha Bow cover?
Thanks for forwarding thread on the hinge mod. I've subscribed to watch this innovation unfold. At this point it is lifting seat cushions until a simple DIY breakthrough emerges.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I thought I could put together a kit of some sort that would streamline it for others to install, but its a much more complex issue. The seat typically has to slide out in 2 directions, before it can lift. Trimming the rear edge of the seat allowed it to only have to slide in one direction, before it could lift. The wheels in the tracks allow the sliding, so the hinge can open. It was fairly complex to get it done.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey @zelone - if you are talking about mine then - yes. No problem at all. Post #5 shows the cover on with the bow handles in place.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I see that with a mooring cover, but not sure if a bow cover would work. They don't seem to have as much slack in that front area. Maybe I can find some lower profile handles...

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@zelone - I will tell you that the cover was tight at first but once that hot summer sun hit it for awhile it fit just fine. The rise from the bow really isn't more than 2-3"

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One way to check the fit before buying the handles would be to remove the handles you already have on the boat, place them in position on the anchor locker hatch and install the bow cover over them. Alternatively, you could cut some scrap wood with roughly the same dimensions as the handles instead.

The mod is worth the effort of you want to use the bow ladder more easily or you frequently access you boat through the bow when it's on its trailer.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks Ronnie. We do use the ladder when boating and swimming, and more guests would use it if it had handles. I need to start my winter bucket list soon.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
BTW - super cheap and easy mod!

Rods from Amazon were about $14/ea plus some stainless hardware from my local Ace. I do suggest some very large washers on the bottom side for pressure/torque displacement. I placed them were I wanted, used a pencil to mark the circles then drilled in the center. Do watch out for the wiring to your bow nav lights.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bennie I like your stainless nav light also. Is it LED? That's another upgrade I'd like to do.