• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where/how did you mount your fire extinguisher?

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried mounting mine inside the helm console using double sided sticky foam and it didn’t work. I’d prefer not to drill holes if possible.

How did you do yours?

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Drill holes. Don’t be scared. I can assure you if you sell the boat, that fire extinguisher won’t be moved.

that said, how accessible? Do you want it in a cubby? Under a seat cushion? Exposed?

You can buy some marine grade wood and make mounting boards. Buy longer SS bolts for things that bolt through and run them through the wood. Then bolt things to the wood.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Screwed down, no reason not to.

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Drill holes. Don’t be scared. I can assure you if you sell the boat, that fire extinguisher won’t be moved.

that said, how accessible? Do you want it in a cubby? Under a seat cushion? Exposed?

You can buy some marine grade wood and make mounting boards. Buy longer SS bolts for things that bolt through and run them through the wood. Then bolt things to the wood.
Not exposed. I would like to put it in either the helm storage or the battery compartment.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand the want to not drill. But a fire extinguisher is important equipment that needs to be in the right place. Drill if needed.

That said, one trick I used was to look for other fittings when mounting things. For example, for my fuse box by the batteries, I recycled one of the bolts they use for the table bracket. Just took the nut off the back, added the box and bolted it with the same nut. Sometimes I replace the bolt with a longer one. I have used this technique to mount fire extinguishers and a host of other things.

But do get it mounted where it will be handy.

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not exposed. I would like to put it in either the helm storage or the battery compartment.
I've got one in each place. In the helm storage, the dealer mounted it to the floor, a bit aft of where the storage is secured in that space. In the battery compartment (main cabin compartment, port side), the dealer originally mounted a second one to the floor, kind of back in the corner. I remounted it to the top of the plastic lid for the batteries. Easily accessible (right there when you lift the seat), and if I want to get to the batteries, I simply unclip the extinguisher and move it out of the way before removing the battery cover. The mounts for both are screwed in, and neither interferes with storage (or anything else) in the least.

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That said, one trick I used was to look for other fittings when mounting things. For example, for my fuse box by the batteries, I recycled one of the bolts they use for the table bracket. Just took the nut off the back, added the box and bolted it with the same nut. Sometimes I replace the bolt with a longer one. I have used this technique to mount fire extinguishers and a host of other things.
I agree and I've used this trick as well. There are threaded studs/bolts sticking out all over the place into storage compartments on my boat. I've screwed some small eyelets onto them and used bungees to store some of the spare cushions standing up, and screwed a flashlight mount onto another one. "Free storage" opportunities without drilling are all over the place if you get a little creative with the fact that the factory used longer-than-necessary bolts to secure things on the outside of the storage compartments. This leaves lots of threaded "studs" exposed in the storage compartments.

Jeff

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand the want to not drill. But a fire extinguisher is important equipment that needs to be in the right place. Drill if needed.

But do get it mounted where it will be handy.
Smart! I’ll look for something like that.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Maineiac, It’s not clear to me why your dealer didn’t install two fire extinguishers (part of the safety equipment) on this brand new 2020 boat? Did you pay prep fees? If you did, head back and have them install two of them, if they give you grief, ask the heck did the prep fee cover? They are supposed to cover batteries, batt switches, fire extinguishers, etc. One will go behind the helm and the other in the battery compartment. You should also get a full tank of gas and if you didn’t, raise hell (in a respectful way) and ask for your prep fees back.

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Maineiac, It’s not clear to me why your dealer didn’t install two fire extinguishers (part of the safety equipment) on this brand new 2020 boat? Did you pay prep fees? If you did, head back and have them install two of them, if they give you grief, ask the heck did the prep fee cover? They are supposed to cover batteries, batt switches, fire extinguishers, etc. One will go behind the helm and the other in the battery compartment. You should also get a full tank of gas and if you didn’t, raise hell and ask for your prep fees back.
Because in this part of the country, only 1 is required for a 21’ boat. They didn’t mount it because many customers didn’t like where the dealer would put them so they let the customer install. The dealer was great and I’m fine doing it.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I mounted one to the star board seat bottom of the battery compartment. There was already a sticker that said there was an extinguisher there, so why not.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
20200502_124515.jpg

Inside driver helm. I used short screws

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How short? I was thinking 3/4" stainless maybe but don't want it falling off after a hard bounce.

Anyone just use adhesives like JB weld or 3M?
I used 3/4". The extinguisher mount is super thin plastic, and then it goes into fiberglass.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would not trust an adhesive. A fire extinguisher falling loose and bumping around would not be much better than an anchor doing so. Too much damage potential for my taste.