• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Where to mount battery charger?

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally getting around to installing a dual bank battery charger and wondering where to put it, how to mount it. I've seen pictures of others installed but not really a good idea on how to mount it. Are people drilling straight through the carpet/fiberglass to screw it on? Or bolt on?

Looking for suggestions so I can have a clear path before I get enough nerve to start making holes.

Thanks,

Ed

Screw it on. Just make sure your not damaging anything on the other side of the board. Not sure where you are mounting the charger but ProMariner does sell extension cables if you need them.

I put mine on plastic, mounted to the inside (engine) wall in the rear storage compartment.

I got a cheap white plastic cutting board from Sam's Club to mount it on, it was cheaper than starboard and I don't care about UV resistance since it's inside of a compartment. But they don't recommend you put them directly over carpet.

I installed mine in the engine compartment on the port side wall. I had no issues drilling through the carpet/plywood walls. Battery chargers can get hot, so you need to install in a vented area like the engine compartment. Also, make sure you don't mount directly to the carpet to allow air circulation behind the charger. I used a 2X2 on the top and bottom and through bolted everything to give it some space.
2015-04-12 12.59.04.jpg

The inside walls where the batteries are, are all the walls fiberglass or some of them plywood? Should I use self tapping screws or pre-drill? I've seen people state about not mounting directly to the carpet to avoid heat issues and was planning on making a mounting brace out of plywood and sealing with something that will resist water. I don't have the charger in hand yet but should have by Weds so I can start figuring out where to put it....I can't imagine the wires are going to be too long so it will probably be close to the batteries.

If you are worried about heat and the carpet (which I'm not -- look in your engine compartment ;)) then cut small square blocks of cutting board to use as spacers to create an airspace between the charger and carpet.

For my generation of boats, the wall between the engine compartment and battery storage was carpet with plywood. I pre-drilled and used through bolts with lock nuts. I'd advise going the same route if you are securing to wood because moisture makes wood expand and contract which could make the screws come loose.

Mikey told me to mount mine to a plastic cutting board and then use Velcro. It's mounted up the wall where the batteries are. Works perfect.

Here is mine - FWIW - got it from @ChargerGuy - and mounted inside the engine compartment, directly over the carpeted bulkhead, which is plywood core, screwed with stainless screws that came with the charger.
I have it connected to a through hull plug. As much as I hate drilling holes in my hull, I am pretty happy with that arrangement. I slip in a covered dry dock, and this makes my life so much easier.
upload_2016-3-14_16-47-44.png

upload_2016-3-14_16-48-11.png

--

Back