• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where to put the subwoofer on a SX190

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Working on installing the new speakers today and ran into a roadblock. Can't seem to find an ideal place to mount the JL 10in IB sub. Was thinking that I could put it in the helm console but in a stoke of genius forgot to take into consideration the clearance with the ski locker and the amount of rattling the helm may do with a sub there. Thought about going higher on the console but don't want to put stress on the fiberglass. Any suggestions on where to consider putting it? or do I need to admit defeat and exchange for a boxed sub?

Thanks

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
When I purchased my 192 they installed the sub in the helm pointing to port side. Plenty of room and worked fine. No issues. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Working on installing the new speakers today and ran into a roadblock. Can't seem to find an ideal place to mount the JL 10in IB sub. Was thinking that I could put it in the helm console but in a stoke of genius forgot to take into consideration the clearance with the ski locker and the amount of rattling the helm may do with a sub there. Thought about going higher on the console but don't want to put stress on the fiberglass. Any suggestions on where to consider putting it? or do I need to admit defeat and exchange for a boxed sub?

Thanks
You can definitely fit a big sub in the helm and the passenger side compartment, I found nice looking marine vents to let the sound out
Thanks to awesome advice in this forum I decided to tackle my stereo system upgrade. I think I read just about every post on the subject here...:). And the ones posted by @David Analog - at least twice. You guys make it instructive and fun, love this forum!

All together (so far) my total cost came up to about $1,000, all in parts (my labor). I'm still on the fence about tower speakers, which are not included in this upgrade.

EDIT: As it always seems to happen here, I ended up getting tower speakers and a bunch of other $$$hit, so my "budget" upgrade I was so proud of became just another jetboaters.net style upgrade (read: it kind of doubled...tripled...).

Because I've added several amps, EQ, and BT to the system - all power antennae are connected via a relay.

Here is what I did:

1. HU
I decided to keep my OEM JBL MR 145.2 radio, at least for now. Just fixed all the connections and added a remote. This unit used to drive me crazy - cutting in and out randomly in chop - it turned out to be a bunch of loose connections / the main plug - I ended up cutting the plug out and soldering speaker level line outputs. Not included here - adding Premium Marine Bluetooth 4.0 + Aptx Music Receiver - Exile Audio.

Because this HU comes enclosed in the glove box, I installed a wired remote from Prospec Inc. mounted in the dashboard, works great. I got a 20' cable with it which was plenty.
View attachment 35275

2. Coaxials in the cockpit
Following advice of several members here, I got the Clarion XC1410 class D 4-channel amp driving 4 Polk DB651 coaxials (replacing OEM junk). Very good resulting sound.

3. Subwoofers
Needless to say - this was the critical part of the project - took me a few weeks to figure it out, and countless scenarios. Almost, almost went with IB type subs, but then reversed course and ended up with two Kicker 10' mounted subwoofers in ported enclosures (which have a slanted/trapezoid profile). I know, if only I had @Speedling carpentering skills...
These are driven by Kicker CX600.1 1200W Class D Mono Amplifier. I actually tried a couple of different versions of the setup, thank you my local Best Buy, before settling on that and proceeding with the final install.

I ended up mounting the sub enclosures inside the helm and the passenger side consoles and vented them with SS marine vents - see the pics below.

Here is the starboard side, Kicker enclosure inside the helm, it was a very tight fit to squeeze it in there. Hard to take pics, too, but it is basically wedged in between the hull and the cockpit (bulkhead), supported by steel braces that lift it up from the sole. The fit is incredible, it is almost like if it was custom made...
View attachment 35276
View attachment 35278

On the port side - inside the passenger console/storage compartment - I mounted the second subwoofer facing aft, directly underneath the glove compartment, also supported by braces and lifted a couple of inches above the sole.

View attachment 35279View attachment 35280

View attachment 35281View attachment 35282

The wiring is not cleaned up, yet. I used 6 AWG stranded copper wire with a 80A fuse for the Kicker amp from the battery.
Importantly - loss of storage space in this scenario is alleviated on the port side (as this sub enclosure is fairly slim) and basically none on the starboard side.
Not obvious from the pictures, but both subwoofer enclosures are "upside-down" with the cones slanted / angled towards the sole.

I also mounted a separate Bass Level controller under the dashboard, works great and is super easy to use (for those less crazy about shaking the boat with the new bass base).
View attachment 35283

The toughest part, of course, was cutting the vents - I hate cutting holes in my boat... But, it needed to be done as I did not want the bass to be all muffled up, with only thump and no music.
http://www.amazon.com/stainless-ste...psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Here is the port side:
View attachment 35284View attachment 35285

The woofer cone is pretty much centered on the middle vent, with the cone rim stretching out to side vents:
(the cone is actually a few inches away behind the opening, it just looks juxtaposed in the picture; the cone is also angled downwards as the enclosure wall is slanted).
View attachment 35286

Here is the helm side:
View attachment 35287
View attachment 35289

I must say my subsequent sound-check carried out on the water surpassed my expectations. The system sounds freaking awesome. With a lot of power to spare. Most importantly, it passed muster of my 14 and 12 yo critics / daughters who decided to be my judging panel. And - they loved it :D!

Cheers, and thank you all who contribute to these threads with great tips and advice!

--

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Here is where I put mine but it's boxed.

312E94AD-88FE-4F85-999E-4B29292ED2A4.jpeg

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
That is right where I am looking at putting mine, was yours a JL? Looks like a little higher off the deck but it might work
Yes, JL audio. This location never caused any issues.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

AJACHIM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds great and beats probably trying to put a 8 inch IB in the tub. When the base really kicks you can feel it in the steering wheel but other than that no complaints

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
If you like a lot of bass, try fitting a 12" in there. With bass, size matters. :winkingthumbsup"

Banditgrrr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@jEt_jAk Where did you find that JL Audio vent? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

JDFester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have mine in the helm as well; sounds great, no complaints! It's a 10" Kicker, but with the beefy grate, I would guess clearance to be similar...

13.jpg

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have mine in the helm as well; sounds great, no complaints! It's a 10" Kicker, but with the beefy grate, I would guess clearance to be similar...

View attachment 92005
Looks about the same as what the JL would be, I think that will work if it's offset up like that.

Looks like about 6" off the deck?