• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where's the best place on an AR190 to mount a transducer?

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi,

AR190 inbound and I bought a Garmin chartplotter for it. If you mounted a transducer and are getting good results from it, where did you mount it on the transom?

Thanks,

/F

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Aloha,

Little late to this post but I saw you become a sub on the YT channel, thanks! If you are going to mount yours like I did let me know if you run into any trouble. FYI I did it over two Saturdays and I did the Head Unit first. The set up works really well and works at all speeds. It does kick up some spray at the back. If you go to the latest video with the drone on parallel you can just barely make out the spray coming from the port side of the jetwash. Best of all no holes in the boat! Good Luck!

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah the no holes thing wins in my book every time. I was gonna have the dealer install the transducer but I like this method better, and I feel comfortable doing it myself.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree. Doing it yourself is probably the best way since only you know what you have planned for the boat. Holes in the boat suck. :)

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, I've finally got the boat. They've made some changes and I dare say they make it somewhat easier.....

For the 2022 AR190 here's what I'm seeing:

1 - The drain referenced has been moved. It's now vertical, and literally right above where the transducer would be installed on the port side of the ride plate. So the wire coming off the transducer now goes straight up into that drain, and doesn't need to be routed across.

2 - Inside the cover, it appears to be very similar to your video. The drain we are talking about is the one that drains water that gets under the cover of the back deck, where the cleanout plug is.

3 - Unit mounting. I have removed the cell phone clip, and that's where the unit will go on its swivel mount. It blocks the 12v lighter outlet.

4 - Because it blocks the lighter outlet, I'm using the power connectors that were used for that to power the Garmin instead. Putting marine grade spade connectors with heat seal adhesive. If I really need the 12v outlet for some reason, I can just disconnect the Garmin.

5 - The shape and size of the ride plate is also different. It may be a little easier, in that I may be able to attach the transducer right underneath the ride plate, but with cylindrical spacers just tall enough to stand the angled wire off. It for sure has a straight edge on it that matches the keel so lineup won't be hard. I don't think it will support all five screws in the transducer.

----------------------------------

The basics of the install seem to be the same, and this still looks like a solid approach with later model years.

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, head unit is installed, and without a single additional hole being drilled. (muahahahahaha!)

20220205_160535.jpg

I removed the 12v lighter outlet, reassigned its power to the Garmin, removed the cell phone holder, drilled two holes into the garmin base, backed it with an innertube for shock absorption, and bolted the garmin mount to the dash using the cell phone holder's holes.

Ran the cabling through the hole that used to have the 12v lighter outlet.

Mocked it up with hardware I had on hand and it's rock solid.

20220205_160227.jpg

Finishing up the head unit will be a swap for better hardware, and a shot of clear sealant goo.

Still have the transducer to do.

I feel like it's going pretty good so far. The beer helped as well.

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Okay, head unit is installed, and without a single additional hole being drilled. (muahahahahaha!)
I removed the 12v lighter outlet, reassigned its power to the Garmin, removed the cell phone holder, drilled two holes into the garmin base, backed it with an innertube for shock absorption, and bolted the garmin mount to the dash using the cell phone holder's holes.
These plotters are hefty...I'd suggest adding two more bolts in the bottom of the mount - hitting waves and wakes might make the unit bounce a little and crack the base or dash loosening it. Don't want the thing to go flying when you're racing across the water.
:oops:

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good point, I'll seriously consider that. It's actually mounted on rubber now which gives it some shock leeway. There's no direct/hard contact of the plastic with the dash.

It is also a possibility to back it with a 1/8" aluminum plate on the other side of the dash.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It is also a possibility to back it with a 1/8" aluminum plate on the other side of the dash.
That 's a great way to spread out the pressure and not have to drill more holes which I think you're trying to avoid...good idea!
:winkingthumbsup"
I mounted my plotter in the dash (credit goes to @suke - thanks for the help!) partly for this reason, they're not paperweights.
:D

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey thats a really good install! Nice and Clean, no clutter, looks like it belongs there.

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got a lot of inspiration and confidence to think out of the box from your vidyas on this and other topics too.

Fargo007

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a short follow up on this.

Shakedown cruise was accomplished yesterday, and I did indeed get good readings at all speeds. This remains a solid technique for transducer mounting.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Excellent. Gotta love it when your ideas and execution of the plan work out. Congrats!

jpdaley1026

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Do you have a pic of the final transducer mounting? Interested in this myself.