• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where's the fuel filter (any pics?) and have you ever had to prime after running empty?

bonehunts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I thought I'd hit the post with the question from the beginning.
I'm ONLY interested in where the fuel filter is on my 2016 242 LSE so I can get to it and see if it has water in it. The boat's low fuel alarm came on as I was pulling into the lift yesterday. I filled it up with 50 gallons and about 2 hours later we went out again. Boat ran fine for about 150 yards then started sputtering/losing power and died altogether.
I am going to start with the fuel system and check to see if running it so low drew water from the tank into the system. If that's the case, I need to get the water out and get gas flowing in there again.

Has anyone done this before that can give me the process you went through and/or pics?
This is not an electrical exercise (yet) so I already know about safety lanyard, hatch switch, clean-out plugs, spark plugs, battery reset, etc.

What can you tell me?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What are your thoughts on bad gas?

bonehunts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I am highly skeptical of "bad gas" being the culprit. There's nothing different in the gas I put in this tank than what I used in the past and it ALL had Marine Stabil in it. I have two 28 gal Gas Caddy set-ups we use on our dock. I pulled gas from both and supplemented with a couple of 5 gallon cans. The gas from the caddies had been used the prior week and a half to fuel the Yammy and my two SeaDoos with no issues. That's why I find it hard for it to be "bad gas". It's hard to explain my logic (and I know Yamahas can be finicky) but I've been around cars/boats/engines/carburetors/fuel injectors most of my life and have only seen "bad gas" when it's been sitting for a while. Not saying it can't happen, but it's highly suspect that bad gas is the culprit.

What makes more sense is that running the tank so low caused sediment or water to get the fuel lines. When I refueled and started it up, the gas that was in the lines ran (thus the 150 yards) and then the water/sediment that was primed in the lines hit the system and/or unprimed the fuel system.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fuel filter is in the fuel tank, and a bit on the difficult side to swap out. But you access it by pulling the fuel panel and removing the fuel sender from the top of the tank. There used to be a water separator inline, but I do believe those went away years ago.

ISO is another way to break up water molecules to a point that they will pass through the fuel system as well. If you think water may be the issue, get some ISO in your fuel.

Good luck,