• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which AR should I get?

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I'm looking into buying a 2017 Yamaha 24' jetboats. The comparison sheet on the Yamaha site, doesn't seem to list enough differences between the Limited 242 SE to warrant $14K price difference!

Am I missing something?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are some cool features on the 242 SE series boats. Upgraded interior, new snap in seadek, Upgraded sound system, Electronic throttle control, fresh water shower, programmable towing throttle settings in the conext system, larger bimini top and I'm sure I'm missing a few other items. Whether that is worth the additional $14k all depends on the person. If you do a lot of tow sports and like the other upgrades it maybe worth it but if you just are looking for something to cruise around the lake or sand bar and hang out on it probably is not. I'm in the is not worth it group as I do not really do any tow sports but many others on here are in the it is worth it to them group so it really all depends on what your preferences and uses are.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Thanks Robert for the help.
I do some wakeboarding and it will be nice to have some of the relevant upgrades. The challenge is that at $70K, Yamahas are no longer a great value when compared to other water sport boats.

I will probably have to test drive both to see if I can live with the AR. If I can't, I will have to open up the selection process to the Moombas, etc.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recommend an AR-10 because everyone has an AR-15 and bigger is better .... sorry I could not resist.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm looking into buying a 2017 Yamaha 24' jetboats. The comparison sheet on the Yamaha site, doesn't seem to list enough differences between the Limited 242 SE to warrant $14K price difference!

Am I missing something?
I went thru that decision process last May. I was leaning to an AR240 or a 242 Limited S. Wife was the one that wanted to upgrade to the SE! HATE TO ADMIT SHE WAS RIGHT! The bigger Bimini is awesome if you want plenty of shade. The single throttle sync is very handy. I love the Drive Control, to set up 5 preprogrammed custom towing for skiers and wakeboarders. The upgraded upholstery is very nice. All told, it is a big jump in price, but you get alot for the money. Absolutely no regrets and would do it again in a heartbeat!

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There is a great app on the iTunes store called "Yamaha Boats" by Yamaha that compares models side by side very well. As @robert843 mentioned most of the differences earlier, below is the full list of differences between the 242 Limited S E-series at $66,499 and the AR240 at $54,499:
  • Premium Teak Style snap in mats vs carpet on AR240
  • Upholstered head compartment vs. non-upholstered
  • Docking lights
  • Upgraded upholstered seat cushions
  • Freshwater shower
  • Yamaha Drive Control
  • Boat Wellness Function Display
  • Electronic Throttles with ability to swap to single throttle control
  • Push Button Start/Stop
  • 8 speakers vs 4 speakers
  • Stern speakers
  • Solar panel trickle charger
  • Oversized Bimini top (It literally covers the entire cockpit and its awesome!)
  • Tower tweeter speakers
  • LED lights in tower
When you step all the way up into the 242x E-series at $72,699 you also get:
  • Upgraded aluminum handles and accents
  • Upgraded speaker package
  • 10 speakers vs 8 speakers including 2 tower speakers and a sound bar
  • Ballast system $$$
  • Wakeboard racks
  • Aluminum billet windshield mirror
For us, we went with the 242 Limited S E-series and splurged for the upgrades and we would definitely do it again. We absolutely LOVE the oversized Bimini! Although for most its either a love or hate relationship with the larger Bimini and very few in between. The push button ignition and electronic throttles are very nice upgraded features especially the option for the single control throttle which we use primarily. And since we just purchased at the end of the season last year, this will be our first season on wakeboards so we are excited to try out the drive control options.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Thanx gents. The upgrade list sounds awesome. I like to play on the water and being able to do it easily is important.

Once Im at the $68K, I might as well go to $72k and get the reaminimg bells and whistles

I will be upgrading from my 2008 seadoo 230 wake which I dropped over $12K on this past summer alone (new engine, supercharger, etc).

This bring us to an important question, how does the reliability of Yamaha compare to other comparable ski boats?

I love the handling, ability to float in shallow water, etc. But I wonder if that will come at the price of more maintenance and less reliability

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You won't regret it!

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha raptor, so long as you do standard maintenance = bulletproof.

They just run.