• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which Cover for Long Distance Travel

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mooring cover as it's made for trailering with the tower up. The shipping cover requires you to drop your tower which is fine for storage. If you're towing the boat, you must keep the tower in the upright position or use the factory shipping brackets to prevent damage - the tower bouncing over bumps will rip out the cables.
maybe some of the shipping covers are different for the 242 it fits perfect with the tower up . I have done at least 20 seasonal trips from Long Island to Vermont and upstate NY 6 hours each way. Attempted all different ways no cover, boat was filthy will never do that again and if it rained it would really be trashed with the grey cover it would rip from the wind pressure. The Weather has an impact I will change my travel dates depending on rain. Getting stuck in pouring rain having to push a 20 to 30 gallon pool of water that must have weighed 140 to 240 lbs sucked and the stress of knowing it’s pooling up.

I used my shipping cover on a 10 hour trip. It started to give up the ghost on the return trip, so I got about 16 hours out of it.
Im not sure why you only had 16 hours before it ripped again maybe different quality or did you use it for winter storage and could have UV damage. Im on 36 hrs and it’s not showing any signs of wear its only used for shipping with no poles. They also pop up for sale at a fraction of the price for what the mooring cover would cost.

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
I use the mooring cover without any issues. I tow without the tent poles. If I’m going to go longer distances than just to the lake, I have a giant beach ball that I inflate and put in the bow under the cover. This keeps water from pooling up if it rains. Supposedly the tent poles can rip through the cover when towing. I also bought 2 fat floaty noodles, and cut them down the middle. I put them over the top edge of the windshield frame and the little windshield bummer stop, so the cover doesn’t rub on it.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
maybe some of the shipping covers are different for the 242 it fits perfect with the tower up . I have done at least 20 seasonal trips from Long Island to Vermont and upstate NY 6 hours each way. Attempted all different ways no cover, boat was filthy will never do that again and if it rained it would really be trashed with the grey cover it would rip from the wind pressure. The Weather has an impact I will change my travel dates depending on rain. Getting stuck in pouring rain having to push a 20 to 30 gallon pool of water that must have weighed 140 to 240 lbs sucked and the stress of knowing it’s pooling up.

Im not sure why you only had 16 hours before it ripped again maybe different quality or did you use it for winter storage and could have UV damage. Im on 36 hrs and it’s not showing any signs of wear its only used for shipping with no poles. They also pop up for sale at a fraction of the price for what the mooring cover would cost.
I use it for winter storage but inside my garage, so no UV damage. The outside plastic started to delaminate from the soft fleece-like material in a few spots. It made it home, but I had to tape it up. I still use it as a cover in the winter in my garage to keep dust out of the boat and it should last 20 years like that, just no more towing with it.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
and the little windshield bummer stop, so the cover doesn’t rub on it.
I removed the upper rubber bumper from my window so it doesn't rub on the cover. The window is always closed when moving so no issue with the missing bumper and it looks cleaner without it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I removed the upper rubber bumper from my window so it doesn't rub on the cover. The window is always closed when moving so no issue with the missing bumper and it looks cleaner without it.
How do you handle it or cushion it when it is open in a chop? I don't like the bumper much either, but when we are in water that gets choppy and we are getting bounced around while fishing or go super slow, the window at times can slap a little even when snapped down.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
How do you handle it or cushion it when it is open in a chop?
We don't...it's closed all the time except when docked or anchored. Basically if the engines are running, it's closed.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fair enough. I was hoping you may of come up with some cool mod. I wanted to remove the bumper for a while, since it also hangs the mooring cover when I am taking it off on the trailer getting the boat ready. The way we use the boat keeping the glass closed most of the time doesn't work out.

Kawak11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Sorry, not the highest quality picture, this was one my dealer sent me, but you can see the brackets bolted to the bottom of the support and the tower. I was surprised that they looked so much taller and different than what HangOutdoors had posted when I first saw this.

View attachment 171315
Thank You. Trying to figure how the Allen bolt on top of the bracket secured the tower.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, not the highest quality picture, this was one my dealer sent me, but you can see the brackets bolted to the bottom of the support and the tower. I was surprised that they looked so much taller and different than what HangOutdoors had posted when I first saw this.

View attachment 171315
If you look at my tower hinge vs. yours and the base, it makes a lot of sense why yours are longer, yours hinges higher up. Plus your tower is different. Big difference between the base model and your model :)

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I used my shipping cover on a 10 hour trip. It started to give up the ghost on the return trip, so I got about 16 hours out of it. The mooring cover will create abrasions either to the window frame, unless you add cut pool noodles, and I've had those fall off, or around the edge where you tighten it.

Now I just tow it uncovered. I just leave the drain plugs out in case it rains and if I have to stop for the night at a hotel, I throw the mooring cover on it. The only thing you have to do is make sure none of your cushions will fly out. I find this much easier than covering the boat, worring if the cover will puddle with water or rub. They are meant to get wet, just me 2 cents.
Did you reinforce the unsecured cushions with velcro or do you just store them while driving?

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I just store them while driving.
So you store all 3: the anchor cushion, starboard aft cushion, and engine hatch cushion? Do any of the hinged cushions blow open during highway speed travel?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Guys who are using a giant beach ball... How giant are we talking? 48"? 60"? 6 foot? The 6 footer on Amazon is mighty enticing but like 60 bucks... And maybe too big?

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
So you store all 3: the anchor cushion, starboard aft cushion, and engine hatch cushion? Do any of the hinged cushions blow open during highway speed travel?
I store all 3. Honestly, the engine hatch one rarely get's installed since i don't like stepping on it! I've never had any of the hinged seats open on me. I also cram the mooring cover in the open seat behind the drivers seat and have never had that fly out as well. I also do a minimum of 75 MPH!

Trust me, I'm the last guy that wants to get water in my boat but they are made to get wet and a little rain ain't going to hurt. The way these are built with the self draining deck it should be no problem. Honestly, the sun will hurt it more than the rain! That said, I'd never store it sitting on shore or in the water without the cover. Keeps the bugs out!