• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

which one 2012 or 2014 - 242 Limited S

xtremesport

Reaction score
Boat Make
Crownline
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking at getting my first Yamaha 242 Limited S, coming from a Crownline 266BR. Looking forward to a more agile boat for watersports and one without outdrive for the kids. I have found two for sale at dealers (somewhat locally).

1. 2012 - 242 limited S with only 3.6 - divorce sale. Use for 3 time in 2013 and once in 2014. Then has sat indoors winterized. Basically new
OR.....
2. 2014 - 242 limited S with 118 hours. 1 owner traded in on newer Yamaha. Appears to be on good shape.

Both are list at the same price and color (Black). So two years newer or less hours? Were there many advancements or upgrades on the 2014 that the 2012 wouldn't have.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome to the site. Not much, if anything changed between those years. The interior and exterior of the 2012 is bound to be in better condition but sitting for that long could lead to issues with the fuel, fuel injectors, etc. The 2014 is still low hours. Water test them and carfully visually inspect them both before buying.

Good luck.

kent426

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the 2012 sitting that long, I am sure had no maintenance, you would want to get the hose adapter and fire the engine and see if it smokes. I would buy the new boat.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would lean towards the 14. "Lot rot" is a real thing for cars and boats and you would be amazed at how many things can fail from NOT getting used. I have had my own boat since I was 19 and they get used pretty much every weekend and I put loads of hours on them. But, I rarely have any issues at all that I have always contributed to maintenance and not letting them sit and not get used/run.

I would personally be scared of a 6 year old boat with 3 hours on it but if you are willing to check it over extremely well, it may turn out out to be great for you!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking at getting my first Yamaha 242 Limited S, coming from a Crownline 266BR. Looking forward to a more agile boat for watersports and one without outdrive for the kids. I have found two for sale at dealers (somewhat locally).

1. 2012 - 242 limited S with only 3.6 - divorce sale. Use for 3 time in 2013 and once in 2014. Then has sat indoors winterized. Basically new
OR.....
2. 2014 - 242 limited S with 118 hours. 1 owner traded in on newer Yamaha. Appears to be on good shape.

Both are list at the same price and color (Black). So two years newer or less hours? Were there many advancements or upgrades on the 2014 that the 2012 wouldn't have.
What part of the country are you in? Winterize down south for me is. Take all of our stuff out put damp rid in, Fresh cab, and at low rpm blow the water out of the jets while removing from the lake.
Were they fogged ? Battery on a tender? greased on areas? Obviously sitting for 6 years the tires would be bad. you would want to look at the engines for leaks, since the seals could dry out.